Page 24 of 136 FirstFirst ... 1421222324252627344974124 ... LastLast

• world class bilge rat

Re: RCMC #122: We're All Just a Bit Scattered

Quote Originally Posted by penguinsoda View Post
    Really? Well darn... Even though they really aren't that close to Burley, but at least its in the same state!

I just want to know where the heck they pulled a 220 from when there are no 220 outlets anywhere, and the box on the pole is over 40 years old and only has 110 on it. We thought they had jerry rigged something from the box, but it turns out what we thought they ran to the 220 outlet is actually the power for the pump house.... which I don't remember it being wired that way when I lived there but then again I didn't pay any attention to that stuff when I was a kid. So now the mystery of what they did under the mobile to get a 220 outlet remains.... and hopefully since they aren't using it it won't set the entire place on fire until we can get an electrician out there to check it out.

Stacy!!!! Get back here!!!!
    It's not all that hard to fish a wire under a house, especially a small one.

Most well pumps are 220, even small ones.

I'd bet they simply tapped the well feed and brought the wire into the bathroom mainly for a heater. If nothing else, to keep the water pipes from freezing.

I installed heaters in all 4 of my bathrooms; it's nice to step out of the shower to a nice warm room.

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by my7dwarves View Post
    Yep. Caius is a cutie!

I am not looking forward to the graveyard shifts. Geesh, I finally get you to cut back on working all night, and now I have to....

---------- Post added 11-18-2012 at 09:30 PM ----------

Yes, Pengy? Did you call? I don't want to make you angry. I hear you wield a mighty mommy stick...
    Graveyard sucks... although I didn't mind it to much at the hospital but I'm glad I'm not doing it now. Swing shift isn't to bad. But its just for the black Friday thing right? You don't have to do it again?

tee hee.... I don't know. Its been so long since I've HAD to use the mommy stick it might of lost all of its power!

---------- Post added 11-18-2012 at 09:37 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by micromind View Post
    It's not all that hard to fish a wire under a house, especially a small one.

Most well pumps are 220, even small ones.

I'd bet they simply tapped the well feed and brought the wire into the bathroom mainly for a heater. If nothing else, to keep the water pipes from freezing.

I installed heaters in all 4 of my bathrooms; it's nice to step out of the shower to a nice warm room.
    Um.... I thought the pump was a 110... I'll have to have them check it out.

This is the power box... the big plug is the main to the mobile... the other one goes under the mobile and apparently goes across the lot (underground) into the pump house. And they had a little dryer plugged into the 220 that than ran into the bathroom...

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

• Elven Queen of Caffeine

:lurk:

•   
    • Jester of Randomness

Blog Entries

Hey! No lurking!! Get in here!!! We have cookies!

Ok not really but I do have more pom margarita....

all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

• sleepy lagoon

I think there are several graveyard shifts during the holiday season. We have been warned. Ironic thing is, they ask you your preference on working those shifts, but then they go ahead and schedule you whenever they want anyway, lol.

•   
    • Jester of Randomness

Blog Entries

Now that I think of it... the 110 that goes to the pump house... when they unplugged it they lost power to the pump house... the lights and the pump stopped working until they plugged in the smaller plug again... so... the pump must only be a 110... gaw... I hate being so far away. Why couldn't they have moved closer instead of farther away!!!

---------- Post added 11-18-2012 at 09:45 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by my7dwarves View Post
    I think there are several graveyard shifts during the holiday season. We have been warned. Ironic thing is, they ask you your preference on working those shifts, but then they go ahead and schedule you whenever they want anyway, lol.
    pft... thats typical. Please tell us when you are available and we'll be sure to schedule you any time other than those times!

• world class bilge rat

Graveyard sucks... although I didn't mind it to much at the hospital but I'm glad I'm not doing it now. Swing shift isn't to bad. But its just for the black Friday thing right? You don't have to do it again?

tee hee.... I don't know. Its been so long since I've HAD to use the mommy stick it might of lost all of its power!

---------- Post added 11-18-2012 at 09:37 PM ----------

Um.... I thought the pump was a 110... I'll have to have them check it out.

This is the power box... the big plug is the main to the mobile... the other one goes under the mobile and apparently goes across the lot (underground) into the pump house. And they had a little dryer plugged into the 220 that than ran into the bathroom...

That's been around for a while....

Yes, it looks like the pump is indeed 110. Rare these days, sorta rare back then.

The plug on the left is 110/220. It most likely feeds a panel in the house, the 220 could have easily been tapped from that. The plug is 50 amps, a typical dryer is 30 amps. Too many amps is what starts fires. If they used the right size wire for the dryer plug and a 30 amp fuse or circuit breaker, it's safe. if they simply tapped the feed to the house panel, it's still basically safe. A short circuit will blow one or both the fuses in the panel pictured, the house will be without some or all power.

Typically, a dryer cannot overload its circuit, so too many amps isn't much of an issue.

More than one portable heater plugged in to an outlet circuit is an overload (too many amps) and it'll either blow a fuse (or trip a circuit breaker) or overheat the wiring.

A lot of fires are caused this way, especially if someone has replaced a 15 or 20 amp fuse with a 30.

I can't help but wonder though, where did they vent the dryer to? Dryers give off a LOT of moisture.....not good for the house unless vented outside. Worse if vented under the house, it's cold under there and the moisture will condense on everything.

I think most electricians will recommend a panel replacement, even though the existing stuff still works. Without seeing the inside of it, there's no way to tell. It could easily be just fine.

•   
    • Jester of Randomness

Blog Entries

They took a close up of the box and sent it a few days ago (but I didn't save it) but hubby said it had a single 30 amp glass fuse. I think thats probably what they must of done... split off from the original 220. But not knowing who did it or what kind of a job they did... I think I'll have them have an electrician come out and check it out anyway just to see. I'm sure whatever they did would not pass code.

And vent? Yeah... they didn't have it vented out anywhere... which was maybe why the inside of the dryer was rusted out. When the plumber came out and worked on all of the pipes he took the dryer... I figure since it was rusted out it was worth it to have him haul it off and do with it what ever he wanted.

Thanks for the insight Rob!

• world class bilge rat

They took a close up of the box and sent it a few days ago (but I didn't save it) but hubby said it had a single 30 amp glass fuse. I think thats probably what they must of done... split off from the original 220. But not knowing who did it or what kind of a job they did... I think I'll have them have an electrician come out and check it out anyway just to see. I'm sure whatever they did would not pass code.

And vent? Yeah... they didn't have it vented out anywhere... which was maybe why the inside of the dryer was rusted out. When the plumber came out and worked on all of the pipes he took the dryer... I figure since it was rusted out it was worth it to have him haul it off and do with it what ever he wanted.

Thanks for the insight Rob!
    I'd have it looked at too. If the 30 amp glass fuse supplies the outlets, it'd be easy to overload the wiring. That would be bad.

• Goofy

i dont like graveyard shifts at all. its terrible and sort of unhealthy too. i have done it before but i hope to not do that ever again. (shrivers).

•   
    • Jester of Randomness

Blog Entries

I'd have it looked at too. If the 30 amp glass fuse supplies the outlets, it'd be easy to overload the wiring. That would be bad.
    Yeah I have insurance on the place... but.... still don't want the kids to lose everything they own or to have anything happen to them... Considering thats probably the original box that was put on that pole when we moved there in the early 70's, it probably should be replaced and/or updated. They did put one of those new "smart" meters on it... of course thats Idaho Powers responsibility... what comes after is mine.

Just wish I could hit the lottery and build them a new place.... *sigh*

Quote Originally Posted by Rex Dopey24 View Post
    i dont like graveyard shifts at all. its terrible and sort of unhealthy too. i have done it before but i hope to not do that ever again. (shrivers).
    There are some advantages to graveyard... but not many. But sleep is something I'm usually good at, and I didn't usually have trouble sleeping during the day.

• world class bilge rat

Ok you guys, time to nanner off to bed.....

• Elven Queen of Caffeine

Hey! No lurking!! Get in here!!! We have cookies!

Ok not really but I do have more pom margarita....
    Hey, not fair! I got all excited over cookies....though I might take you up on the margarita....

Randomly went to DLR last night, on the whim of one of my friends...it was fun, but we closed them down and now my sleep schedule is all thrown off. And the other supervisor at work threw out her back, so I get to work another double tomorrow. I really hope she is OK (in general) but also that she can come back to work on Tuesday so I can go to class. I cannot miss any more class! My future is at stake here! (ok, so that was intentionally melodramatic, but the point is fair).

I don't know about all this electrical talk in here. Nice to have someone you can trust to tell you what's up though!

---------- Post added 11-18-2012 at 10:23 PM ----------

'night Rob!

•   
    • Jester of Randomness

Blog Entries

Ok you guys, time to nanner off to bed.....
    Nanners Rob! Thanks for the chat and the info!

Quote Originally Posted by LadyNimrodelle View Post
    Hey, not fair! I got all excited over cookies....though I might take you up on the margarita....

Randomly went to DLR last night, on the whim of one of my friends...it was fun, but we closed them down and now my sleep schedule is all thrown off. And the other supervisor at work threw out her back, so I get to work another double tomorrow. I really hope she is OK (in general) but also that she can come back to work on Tuesday so I can go to class. I cannot miss any more class! My future is at stake here! (ok, so that was intentionally melodramatic, but the point is fair).

I don't know about all this electrical talk in here. Nice to have someone you can trust to tell you what's up though!

---------- Post added 11-18-2012 at 10:23 PM ----------

'night Rob!
    Well my glass is empty now... not sure if I have the energy to go refill it now...

Wooo random Disney night!!! Sounds fun. The double shift... not so much....

Yeah, I'm not up on electrical stuff. My hubby does ok with it, but knowing Rob is an electrician I was glad to be able to pick his brain a bit so I know a bit more where I stand on the place...

• Goofy

Yeah I have insurance on the place... but.... still don't want the kids to lose everything they own or to have anything happen to them... Considering thats probably the original box that was put on that pole when we moved there in the early 70's, it probably should be replaced and/or updated. They did put one of those new "smart" meters on it... of course thats Idaho Powers responsibility... what comes after is mine.

Just wish I could hit the lottery and build them a new place.... *sigh*

There are some advantages to graveyard... but not many. But sleep is something I'm usually good at, and I didn't usually have trouble sleeping during the day.
    lol