Page 122 of 134 FirstFirst ... 227297112119120121122123124125132 ... LastLast
Results 1,816 to 1,830 of 2008

• Grim Grinning

Re: RCMC #126: Clean Cup! Clean Cup! Move Down!!!

Quote Originally Posted by clara View Post

What's worse is watching my cat throw up or hack up a hair ball...it looks so painful for him I've only seen him do it once. He's pretty healthy.

You would not see it with me. I will not sugar coat anything with my kid. Yet, I try to make things fun for him. In this Jedi Academy thread, I tried to explain just that. The scenario the OP put there was a perfect opportunity to use as a teaching tool for the child on how life really is. It's not all sunshine and dancing with bananas! As far as I'm concerned, that OP showed poor parenting skills and, as someone else in the thread posted, seemed to whine about it, resembling a child himself!

I teach this to my boy on a regular basis. In the example of Disneyland, sometimes his fav ride has a line sometimes something is closed or whatever, he learns to deal.
    Yeah, I hate watching him be sick. I don't like feeling helpless. I don't have any kids, so Chuck is like my baby. Sucks to just have to wait it out.

And I think between you and Kim, I may have a shred of hope left for humanity. Now I just need to live closer to both of you instead of up here where kids run wild like animals lol.

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by coopercaseycody View Post
    I see this so often with parents. Yes you want to give your child the world, but it actually does children a disservice to always get what they want. Child psychology 101. My oldest has asperger's and it is harder for him than most to understand that things don't always go the way you plan, but I still make every effort to try and teach him this. If you give a child everything they want, they grow up having a skewed outlook on life. Saying "no" to a child is actually a good thing and teaching them to handle a situation appropriately when things don't go their way will go a long way towards teaching them how to handle being a grown up.
    yeah my parents taught me young that you can't have everything, they had to do it differentlty as i also have aspergers, over time when i was a kid i learned. but that guy should of told his kid that they could see the next showing and maybe he'd get pick then that they should see and if not it's not the end of the world

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by amanda.collishaw View Post
    Oh I wanna just hug you right now! Parents don't do this anymore and it's really annoying. I get parents that let their kids run wild through the store, throw things off the shelves, rip open boxes, etc and they do nothing about it. I tell the kid to knock it off, it's like they've never heard anything but "yes" their whole lives.

about hugging.. for the longest time i wouldn't let my mom hug me and other people too.. she said when i was little this was a big deal i'd throw a fit if i got hugged.. i kinda still have a problem with it...

anybody ever see that movie "temple grandin" ... she was aspergers also and had a problem with hugging, eventually she let her mom hug her in the movie and her mom cried.

• Sshhh, being very quiet

On a different note, CVS were out of mercury thermometers! I didn't have time to go to another store so we'll deal with the battery one I guess.

I visited him at lunch and he was assembling his Lego Chima...which looks like this:

Name:  0067341918955_500X500.jpg
Views: 25
Size:  134.4 KB

Its pretty cool!

• Triple Goddess

I think the parent's reaction to the situation probably made it worse.
    When Cooper was younger b4 we knew he had asperger's he would have melt downs where a "normal" child would not. But I never gave in to his "temper tantrums." I held my ground. And I think he is a better person for it.

• Grim Grinning

And nowadays, most parents just give in to whatever they want. I'm glad that thread was closed before I got there, I had some thoughts swirling around my head.

I think the parent's reaction to the situation probably made it worse.
    When Cooper was younger b4 we knew he had asperger's he would have melt downs where a "normal" child would not. But I never gave in to his "temper tantrums." I held my ground. And I think he is a better person for it.

And nowadays, most parents just give in to whatever they want. I'm glad that thread was closed before I got there, I had some thoughts swirling around my head.
    yeah, I posted in there with some good suggestions that were even complimented by some but this parent really just wanted it their way.

In all honesty, he looked like HE was pitching the fit and not the kid. Im sure the kid had forgotten about the incident by now.

• Sock Puppet

aspergers melt downs. yes i am familiar. i get them still .. usually when the stress builds up.. i don't have them as often as i know what triggers them now an i can take care of it before i get the melt down.but yeah that's good u didn't give in to the melt downs.it probably a learning experience for him.but just like with any other child, my parents didn't give in to my tantrums as a little one either.

well i don't see what that parent really taught their kid other then everything in life should be handed to him on a platter and if he doesn't get it then he should act like the world is gonna fall apart.

• Triple Goddess

You and me both.

You know what's stupid? Walking to pick your son up from school in your slippers when the ground is wet. Derp

• Sock Puppet

i really can't believe he called the posters in that thread " condescending" they were just trying to help him and make him realize that there could of been ways to fix it let alone their was other shows..it seems to me that the apple did not fall fare from the tree with that kid and his dad...

• mountains beyond mtns.

I see this so often with parents. Yes you want to give your child the world, but it actually does children a disservice to always get what they want. Child psychology 101. My oldest has asperger's and it is harder for him than most to understand that things don't always go the way you plan, but I still make every effort to try and teach him this. If you give a child everything they want, they grow up having a skewed outlook on life. Saying "no" to a child is actually a good thing and teaching them to handle a situation appropriately when things don't go their way will go a long way towards teaching them how to handle being a grown up.
    Oh I wanna just hug you right now! Parents don't do this anymore and it's really annoying. I get parents that let their kids run wild through the store, throw things off the shelves, rip open boxes, etc and they do nothing about it. I tell the kid to knock it off, it's like they've never heard anything but "yes" their whole lives.
    My cousin is one such parent. On our visit to DL last summer, our time, 8 am to midnight was centered around catering to her 7 yr old's every whim and demand. Even her reprimands "if you don't eat now, you won't get to eat later" were empty because later he'd want food and she would get it for him. That was one day I wanted to be anywhere but DL.

• Sock Puppet

You and me both.

You know what's stupid? Walking to pick your son up from school in your slippers when the ground is wet. Derp
    haaa!! i drive in my slippers., so on thursday i got out of my car and went to the chevron store to get my daily bad habit of red bull, and the it had been raining.. and i wasn't thinking.. so i walked in the store.. and i went to register aft er i got my red bull.. and i left a trail of size 5 slipper marks ( my slippers were wetter then wet!) LOL LOL

the lady had just mopped the floor too and it had dried before i got their.. i felt bad

Quote Originally Posted by Poisonedapples View Post
    well i don't see what that parent really taught their kid other then everything in life should be handed to him on a platter and if he doesn't get it then he should act like the world is gonna fall apart.
    yup...that may have been the only thing taught to the kid. I just can't stand parents who act badly in front of their children, teaching them to do the same.

Tantrums were tough for me and my kid doesn't have aspergers. I can only imagine. But I know one thing worked when he had a huge melt down. I cleaned his room of everything. From posters on the wall to every last Build a Bear on the bed. All that was left was a closet of clothes, a bed, a dresser and a cleaned off desk. I told him "look, I'm only obligated to provide you with food, water, roof over your head and clothes on your back. The rest is extra. It will return when attitude straightens up"

I've had the upper hand ever since. He's a good kid though. I've only had to do that once.

Quote Originally Posted by Poisonedapples View Post
    i really can't believe he called the posters in that thread " condescending" they were just trying to help him and make him realize that there could of been ways to fix it let alone their was other shows..it seems to me that the apple did not fall fare from the tree with that kid and his dad...
    yup

• mountains beyond mtns.

Yeah, I hate watching him be sick. I don't like feeling helpless. I don't have any kids, so Chuck is like my baby. Sucks to just have to wait it out.

And I think between you and Kim, I may have a shred of hope left for humanity. Now I just need to live closer to both of you instead of up here where kids run wild like animals lol.
    Oh kids run like wild animals here too. I can't really use shopping carts at my local stores because of wayyyyy too many near accidents with kids running in my "blind spots" and me almost hitting them with a cart.