Page 25 of 135 FirstFirst ... 1522232425262728355075125 ... LastLast

• Sock Puppet

Re: RCMC #129 - We are on a mission!

ALSO...

during halloween time this happends...

October – Ghosts

Get in the spirit of Halloween by joining the Historical Society Walking Tour Guides on a spooky walking tour of Los Rios Street, the oldest residential neighborhood in California. Be prepared for creepy tales of big black dogs, strange monks who have lost their heads, ghostly tales about a lady in white and other goings on.

Meet your Ghost Tour Guide Saturday October 27, 2012 at the O'Neill Museum on Los Rios Street. Ghost Walk Tours are conducted at 6:30, 7:00, and 7:30 pm. The cost is $5.00 for adults and $3.00 for children under 12. Reservations are required (make them as soon as possible - they fill up quick!).
    I have done this tour... it rocks! btw .. there is also a old cemetary not to far from where los rios street is, it's also haunted..LOL sits on a hill, only the locals know where it is, i have seen it.

• Triple Goddess

Quote Originally Posted by clara View Post
    Is that guy pictured in that article the church of satan leader?

(gosh, typing church and satan in the same context is really bizarre for me) :P

He looks very sinister..blegh!
    He does, indeed look sinister. And yes, he is. The street, Anton, is also named after him.

Quote Originally Posted by Poisonedapples View Post
    thanks! CCC!

i don't know if you ever been down my way to San juan, but the Mission is a cool place to do a tour! and With the weather warming up this weekend, it's a good day trip...
    mission sjc

..and this a good self guided tour website! self guided tour SJC

i highly recommend old town SJC:

Los Rios Historic District
    Rios Adobe
    los rios district click here!!

eveything is in walking distance from one another, the mission is right across the street and you got swallows inn and some other historic places! and there is a petting zoo! Welcome to ZOOMARS Petting Zoo | San Juan Capistrano | Orange County, CA
    Thanks, Sara! That looks cool!

• Triple Goddess

Quote Originally Posted by Poisonedapples View Post
    ALSO...

during halloween time this happends...

I have done this tour... it rocks! btw .. there is also a old cemetary not to far from where los rios street is, it's also haunted..LOL sits on a hill, only the locals know where it is, i have seen it.
    That looks really cool!

• Sshhh, being very quiet

I would love to go on a Winchester House tour.

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by coopercaseycody View Post
    He does, indeed look sinister. And yes, he is. The street, Anton, is also named after him.

Thanks, Sara! That looks cool!
    That looks really cool!
    NO PROBLEM CCC!

oh here is some history on the ghosts of San juan Cap..

The "white lady," who materializes in fog and likes to call attention to herself, has been sighted on Los Rios Street, the Capistrano Villas, Las Brisas, and in the foothills behind Del Obispo. She's a playful ghost, dressed in a long white dress, who cavorts and teases, but never lets anyone catch up to her. La llorona, "the weeping one," is heard along the banks of Trabuco Creek on moonless nights when the breeze is whispering through the trees. A transplanted ghost popular in Mexico and the American Southwest, her crying is endless as she mourns the children she drowned.

Belford Terrace has the ghost of Denise Duprez, a small child killed in the fire that destroyed the mansion for which the tract is named, who cries for the adulthood she never reached. Along San Juan Creek, ghostly flute music is sometimes heard, played on a reed flute by the ghost of an Indian who lived there long ago. The Forster Mansion on Ortega Highway is said to have a cigar-smoking ghost seen sometimes at the foot of the interior stairs.

Los Rios Street, one of the oldest residential streets in California still in existence, seems to have the most spirits. It has the white lady, who appears near the giant pepper tree north of the Rios Adobe, tossing her mane of long, black hair, beckoning you to follow. It also has the Pryor House, now the O'Neill Museum, where the ghost of Albert Pryor is sometimes seen wearing a gray sweater, rocking on the front porch. The Rios Adobe has ghostly footsteps, sometimes heard by members of the family when doors were locked and everyone was asleep. The Ramos House, now a restaurant, was once known for its "cold room" and poltergeist activity. Chanting and strange lights were sometimes reported from the Montanez Adobe, across the street.

Even the Mission has its ghosts. There is a faceless monk who roams the back corridors at night, his sandals echoing through the stillness as he hurries away to melt into the shadows. There is a headless soldier, who stands guard near the garrison building, and the sound of bells that ring mysteriously in the night. One of the most poignant stories is about the ghost of Magdalena, a young girl who lost her life in the earthquake of 1812. She was a penitent that morning, holding a candle as she walked in front of her peers in the Great Stone Church. She must have heard the roar and felt the walls shake as the roof domes came crashing down on the worshippers. On nights with a fingernail moon, only her face is seen, illuminated by a candle in the highest windows of the ruins of the Church.

Those who study unexplainable activity characterize a ghost as an image from the past, and a spirit as an energy force that is still around and is active, either attaching itself to its place of death or a place where it was happy. Whether they are ghosts or spirits, San Juan Capistrano has the highest number of sightings per capita than any other place in Orange County. Most of the spirits are playful, or keep to themselves. Some can be traced to specific events - others cannot.

No matter where you live in the Capistrano Valley, there is bound to be a ghost to keep you company this Halloween. Ghosts are as much a part of San Juan as the swallows---only they don't leave.

..and btw,not just halloween, there has been sightings all year around. that graveyard mentioned is on the corner of the 5 and ortega going toward ortega, right on the left, there is a small side street that you can drive up, but the street is soo narrow that i don't suggest it, but through the gates at the top is a old old old old, very creepy cemetary/graveyard. ..and the lady who wheeps for her kids was burried up there.. lol

in this article half way down, it shows a photo of the cemetary

BEST OF ARTICLES: Haunted San Juan Capistrano | Obiwan's UFO-Free Paranormal Page

• Sock Puppet

So CCC lots of history!! very interesting!! there is little stores along the way and stuff also, but the mission is the highlight of it all

• Selfie Expert

Woke up because my nose is stuffy and could breathe. Staying up long enough to say
    GO Kelila GO!!

And to complain that I can't get my Club 33 photos off my camera my usual way so waiting on the the hubs to figure it out later tonight.

Anyway, back to sleep (hopefully!) for me!

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!
    KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

• Sorcerer Supreme Bean

Clara's ghostbusters outfit would come in handy for those ghost sightings.
    There is no right or wrong in this debate. It is simply a matter of perspective.
    -Dr. Strange

Quote Originally Posted by Wren View Post

I almost went as a Ghostbuster this last Halloween to. But I couldnt' get the costume ordered in time and I ended up doing Strawberry Shortcake. (it was an 80's themed Halloween for me since I was also going to an 80's party with the costume)

Maybe I'll do Ghostbuster this year....hmmm...maybe I will.

well, i guess I"ll go have lunch...

• What Time Taught Us

Quote Originally Posted by KellyMcG86 View Post
    Kevin - I don't know if you'll see this but I'll ask before I forget - did you get the Dapper Day pin? (The metal Disney one, not the yellow button)
    no! I didn't see one at the places we went to (a cart on Paradise Pier and the store in New Orleans Square). I ended up getting this Up pin: http://eventservices.disney.go.com/f...0000478548.jpg.

looks better in real life. lol

Up isn't my favorite Pixar movie by any means, but I love the first fifteen minutes so I had to get this one. plus I like its subtlety.

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by Wren View Post
    i don't think so, i love ghosts and the spirits whether they are real or not to people.. but SJC is a historic area that i happen to live in and near. the self guided tour is amazing, lots to see..loads of history.

Quote Originally Posted by clara View Post

I almost went as a Ghostbuster this last Halloween to. But I couldnt' get the costume ordered in time and I ended up doing Strawberry Shortcake. (it was an 80's themed Halloween for me since I was also going to an 80's party with the costume)

Maybe I'll do Ghostbuster this year....hmmm...maybe I will.
    i think u should go as Duffy the Bear, that would be a awesome costume!
    Last edited by Poisonedapples; 02-26-2013 at 12:38 PM.

• Sock Puppet

That looks really cool!
    OH CCC, i forgot to mention!!!!! this is a great thing for the kids( tour of the mission), it's $9 just to get in , and then there is a tour.. but they have adobe brick making for the kids and panning for gold.

i suggeset the Sundried Tomato Cafe and Hummingbird Cafe..but anywhere around the Mission for food is great, they have a Ruby's also down there..

• Under that tree again!

I'll post a TR in the next few days, I looked rather different than usual all Dappered up. I'm not sure that you'd recognize me unless you were pretty familiar with me. I loved it!!
    Not too sure I saw you, but you're right may not of been able to recognize you.

Quote Originally Posted by Spy View Post
    how many times did people ask you why you were dressed up? my group had to constantly explain Dapper Day to people in line, and our dress was barely out of the ordinary. lol. we felt like we should write a skit, song, and dance number we could go through every time someone asked us
    Hopefully these events get bigger. I felt it was more popular in September than Sunday.

Just wanted to stop in and say hi. Have to get back to work not since I wasn't in the office yesterday.
    Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

Heya Swampy!