Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Re: The Recipe Thread.

I will have to remember that sugar trick the next time that I get spicy food in a restaurant. Hey maybe that's the same reason that butterscotch helps my sometimes indigestion.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

St. Patrick's Day is on Sunday.

Does anyone have a favorite Irish Recipe, in honor of the day?

• Sock Puppet

for st patty's i put guiness in with my cornbeef in the crock pot and let it just cook in it, of course with water too!

anyhow barb, i saw this recipe i think you'd like, don't knock it till you try it, i have had something similar and actually it's pretty darn good so i think this one is also..infact i might just make this this weekend

Potato Chip Chicken Casserole

Ingredients:
    1 cup celery, chopped
    2 cups cooked chicken, chopped
    1 can cream of mushroom soup
    1/2 cup milk
    3 cups potato chips, crushed
    grated cheese (optional)

Directions:
    1. Mix celery and chicken together.
    2. Place 1/2 of this mixture in an ungreased baking dish.
    3. Spoon can of mushroom soup and 1/4 cup milk over the chicken mixture.
    4. Sprinkle 1 1/2 cups crushed potato chips over all.
    5. Repeat layers one more time. If using grated cheese, sprinkle on top.
    6. Bake 30 minutes at 350 degrees F.

• Sock Puppet

here is another one, this is a comfort food recipe!

Pretzel-Crusted Honey Mustard Chicken

Ingredients:
    4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves (about 5 ounces each)
    4 Tablespoons honey mustard
    1 cup crushed pretzels (any pretzels variety works)
    Salt and freshly ground black pepper for taste

Directions:
    1. Preheat oven to 375F.
    2. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray.
    3. Place the chicken in a large freezer bag or between 2 pieces of plastic wrap and pound to a 1-inch thickness.
    4. Transfer the chicken to the prepared baking sheet and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
    5. Brush the honey mustard all over the top of the chicken and top with the crushed pretzels.
    6. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through.

• Sock Puppet

asparagus, goat cheese and lemon pasta

Adapted from Bon Appetit

As it turns out, goat cheese makes a really great quick, creamy pasta sauce. And whether you blanche your pasta with asparagus or you swap in fava beans or string beans or seriously, you name it, this comes together so quickly that I forgave it for not winning any beauty contests.Serves 61 pound spiral-shaped pasta
    1 pound slender asparagus spears, trimmed, cut into 1- to 1 1/2-inch pieces
    1/4 cup olive oil
    1 tablespoon finely grated lemon peel
    2 teaspoons chopped fresh tarragon plus more for garnish
    1 5- to 5 1/2-ounce log soft fresh goat cheese (the pre-crumbled stuff will not melt as well)
    Fresh lemon juice to taste (optional)

Cook your pasta in a large pot of well-salted water until it is almost tender, or about three minutes shy of what the package suggests. Add asparagus and cook until firm-tender, another two to three minutes. Drain both pasta and asparagus together, reserving one cup of pasta water.

Meanwhile, combine olive oil, lemon peel, tarragon and cheese in a large bowl, breaking up the goat cheese as you put it in. Add hot pasta and asparagus to bowl, along with a couple slashes of the pasta water. Toss until smoothly combined, adding more pasta water if needed. Season generously with salt and pepper, and lemon juice if you feel it needs a little extra kick. (We did.)

recipe from smitten kitchen

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

I love asparagus. It is my favorite vegetable of all time. As a kid, my mom would only buy it at holidays. The first time I tasted it, my mom thought I wouldn't like it, so she only put a small spoonful on my plate, when I asked. Of course, I gobbled that up and asked for more.

I have never bought goat cheese. I don't even think that I have ever seen it in the store. Whereabouts, is it located in the store? We might be grocery shopping this weekend, and I can look for it.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Thanks for the other two recipes as well Sara. I love chicken. ALthough my husband won't eat it, my grandson might try it.

• Sock Puppet

u know u can substitute the cheese for something else, like Feta. THat is pretty easy to find, usually with the cheeses like parmesan and stuff.. .feta tastes like goat cheese, it's a bit firmer. and not everyone likes goat cheese. but goat cheese melts better...

• Sock Puppet

so i am going to be getting married not next year, but the year after, my future husband said that i can do anything i put my mind too, so with that i am thinking of opening a cafe or something in my town..LOL

but i got lots more recipes..looooooaaads more!

• Sock Puppet

here is a tip: when boiling pasta, add some garlic, crushed is fine, or chopped, it doesn't really matter, but as the water boils it brings the garlic taste out and then you add your pasta and it gives the pasta in the water a nice taste also. i also always and i mean ALWAYS boil my pasta with some olive oil in the water..it helps the pasta to not stick.

also when i do rice(not very often) i like to add things to my rice. Tomatoes, cut up fresh spinach, cheese or any other things that fancys me! Try it!

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

I thought a recipe thread was a good idea, that way lots of people can see and try them.

I never measure anything when I cook, and I should use more seasoning, but my mom raised us with a pretty bland diet. Some things I never use. One of those is garlic, because it gives me headaches.

There is a store near me where I can get fresh herbs, and those are the best, of course.

• Sock Puppet

AND NOT BUT SUNDAY! i just made this pizza

Closet Cooking: Balsamic Strawberry and Chicken Pizza with Sweet Onions and Smoked Bacon

Balsamic Strawberry and Chicken Pizza with Sweet Onions and Smoked Bacon from Closet Cooking
    A sweet, tangy, and spicy strawberry and chicken pizza with smoked bacon and of course plenty of ooey gooey melted cheese.

Servings: makes 1 large pizza

Prep Time: 10 minutes
    Cook Time: 15 minutes
    Total Time: 25 minutes

Ingredients

1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
    1/2 cup strawberry preserves/jam
    sriracha to taste
    1 cup cooked chicken, shredded or cut into bite sized pieces
    1 1/2 cups mozzarella, shredded
    1/4 cup parmigiano reggiano (parmesan), grated
    1 pizza dough
    4 slices smoked bacon, cut into 1 inch pieces and cooked
    1/4 cup sweet onion, sliced
    3/4 cup strawberries, sliced
    1/4 cup cilantro, torn

Directions

Bring the balsamic vinegar to a boil in a small sauce pan, reduce the heat and simmer until it reduces by half, about 4-5 minutes.

Mix in the strawberry preserves and sriracha to taste.

Mix 2 tablespoons of the balsamic strawberry sauce into the chicken.

Roll out the pizza dough and spread the remaining balsamic strawberry sauce onto it.
    Sprinkle on 3/4's of the cheese, the chicken, bacon and onion followed by the remaining cheese and finally 1/2 cup the strawberries.

Bake in a preheated 500F oven until golden brown on top, about 5-10 minutes.

Sprinkle the remaining strawberries and the cilantro onto the pizza.

*** site note.. i did not make fresh pizza douh, i used a boboli, worked fine and i did not cilantro i went with spinach.. and i used a gouda, gouda does not melt..LOL. you want th cheese to melt so i'd stay with the cheese they have..**

and mind you sriracha is spicey, but if you like spice this is the recipe for you,. i used 1/4 tsp of sriracha, and i did 1/4tsp at a time till i got it to where i liked it.. if you don't like spice 1/4 tsp might be enough..

however, this was easier then easy to do and it got thumbs up from my family!

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

I think we both typed at the same time. I watch a lot of cooking shows, and they all cook with a lot of garlic. I'd be so sick, if I was in those kitchens. Even the smell of garlic will make me sick sometime.

I wish my husband ate the same things I eat, but he is so fussy. He won't eat fish, chicken, pork, liver, lamb, veal. Strickly beef. Although he does love vegetables, and has cut way back on his red meat consumption.

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by Barbaraann View Post
    I thought a recipe thread was a good idea, that way lots of people can see and try them.

I never measure anything when I cook, and I should use more seasoning, but my mom raised us with a pretty bland diet. Some things I never use. One of those is garlic, because it gives me headaches.

There is a store near me where I can get fresh herbs, and those are the best, of course.

and i got a but load of recipes.. not all mine tho, i don't measure, so it's hard for me to really write down my recipes.. LOL i wing it and eye ball it..my grows fresh herbs, she fries in olive oil with sage her brussel sprouts.. its so good that way, they get nice and blackened and fried.. so good

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

I think that I will make porkchops tomorrow. Instead of regular breadcrumbs, I use stuffing mix for the breadcrumbs. It makes delicious baked porkchops. My grandson likes that one.

His mom makes good porkchops, but she uses Shake and Bake.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast