Page 3 of 135 FirstFirst 123456132853103 ... LastLast

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

re: RCMC # 133 The Road Goes On Forever And The Party Never Ends

So when I was looking for a water irrigation pump for the kids I kept seeing cone shaped filters for the incoming side. So now do you think I can find them on eBay? Of course not.... got the pump so they can water by sucking water out of the irrigation canal but can't find the filter now....

Geeze... should of put one in my watching before but was focused on the pump. I've gotten a lot more single minded like that lately.

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

• Goofy

hi room.

• world class bilge rat

The ones I'm thinking of are called foot valves. They go on the end of the suction pipe and have a check valve (one way valve, up only, so the pump will not lose its prime) and a cone-shaped screen on the very end.

I've seen them in 1/2" to 6".

It's important to remove the entire pipe (including the foot valve) before it freezes.

• world class bilge rat

Hi, Rex!

•   
    • Jester of Randomness

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by micromind View Post
    The ones I'm thinking of are called foot valves. They go on the end of the suction pipe and have a check valve (one way valve, up only, so the pump will not lose its prime) and a cone-shaped screen on the very end.

I've seen them in 1/2" to 6".

It's important to remove the entire pipe (including the foot valve) before it freezes.
    I think thats what I was looking at.... it was cone shaped. But now no matter how I google it I can't find it. Doesn't have to be to fancy. I just got a small pump since they will only be watering the front yard and later a small garden. The canal is just on the other side of the road in front of the place, so I thought they could just toss a hose into the canal to suck up the water through the pump and push it out to water. Once they don't need it the pump and hoses can be put away for the winter.

I'm sure we can find something at the hardware store up there. Most people use gravity irrigation from the canal, but pumping would give more control.

all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

• Goofy

hi micromind. how are you? hope you have a nice memorial weekend.

•   
    • Jester of Randomness

Blog Entries

Yes!!! Thats it!!! Thanks Rob!!! Knowing the proper name makes all the difference!

ToolKing.com: Pentair TC2501LF 1-1/4 inch Low Lead Well Pump Foot Valve TC2501LF

Now just finding the right size.... the pump has 1" intake and outlets...

• Elven Queen of Caffeine

Ok, I'm back.

And hello to everyone who entered the room since I vanished.

2 months will be a whirlwind. Then it's home for a week and then off to FL. I wish I was excited about my roommate, but I'll live. This year has been unbelievable...and will continue to be so. Hoping I survive all the hoopla.
    Signature courtesy of Poisonedapples

•   
    • Jester of Randomness

Blog Entries

Welcome back!

Roommate? Are you talking about the host family you will be staying with in Morocco? Or your roomie in Florida?

Quote Originally Posted by penguinsoda View Post
    Welcome back!

Roommate? Are you talking about the host family you will be staying with in Morocco? Or your roomie in Florida?
    LOL, either. Take your pic. But I was referring to my roomie in FL. She's...interesting. She's allergic to everything, so no one wants to room with her and I took pity. We DO share some common interests, so it won't be all bad, but she just...doesn't capture my interest. :shrug:

• world class bilge rat

Quote Originally Posted by penguinsoda View Post
    Yes!!! Thats it!!! Thanks Rob!!! Knowing the proper name makes all the difference!

ToolKing.com: Pentair TC2501LF 1-1/4 inch Low Lead Well Pump Foot Valve TC2501LF

Now just finding the right size.... the pump has 1" intake and outlets...
    1" will be ok. These valves screw onto the end of a pipe. I would put the pump as close to the canal as possible; the suction pipe needs to be sloped upward or level to the pump, never downward. If it has dips in it, the pump will lose its prime because if the air trapped in the dips.

Also, the valve needs to be placed at least 6" underwater; if not, it'll make a whirlpool and suck air into the pump, and it'll lose its prime.

Even more; the valve needs to be a few inches above the bottom of the canal, otherwise the screen will clog with all the dirt and silt. If the canal is deep enough, setting the valve directly on top of a concrete block will keep it out of the muck.

Basic PVC pipe will work well here. It's not very expensive and it's easy to work with.

A garden hose will be ok on the discharge side of the pump. You'll need a 1'X3/4" bushing and a hose adapter. Any hardware store will have this stuff.

• world class bilge rat

Quote Originally Posted by Rex Dopey24 View Post
    hi micromind. how are you? hope you have a nice memorial weekend.
    So far so good.....all 3 days off, that's sort of rare for me.

• world class bilge rat

Quote Originally Posted by LadyNimrodelle View Post
    Ok, I'm back.

And hello to everyone who entered the room since I vanished.

2 months will be a whirlwind. Then it's home for a week and then off to FL. I wish I was excited about my roommate, but I'll live. This year has been unbelievable...and will continue to be so. Hoping I survive all the hoopla.
    You'll do just fine. Even though there are lots of unknowns now, it'll fall into place one way or another.

And the rough parts will give you something to laugh about later on in life......

Lol.

You'll do just fine. Even though there are lots of unknowns now, it'll fall into place one way or another.

And the rough parts will give you something to laugh about later on in life......

Lol.
    LOL, laughter is good, I suppose, though it may be hard to maintain proper perspective in the moment.

How are you, Rob? Aside from being excited about the 3 day weekend...

•   
    • Jester of Randomness

Blog Entries

1" will be ok. These valves screw onto the end of a pipe. I would put the pump as close to the canal as possible; the suction pipe needs to be sloped upward or level to the pump, never downward. If it has dips in it, the pump will lose its prime because if the air trapped in the dips.

Also, the valve needs to be placed at least 6" underwater; if not, it'll make a whirlpool and suck air into the pump, and it'll lose its prime.

Even more; the valve needs to be a few inches above the bottom of the canal, otherwise the screen will clog with all the dirt and silt. If the canal is deep enough, setting the valve directly on top of a concrete block will keep it out of the muck.

Basic PVC pipe will work well here. It's not very expensive and it's easy to work with.

A garden hose will be ok on the discharge side of the pump. You'll need a 1'X3/4" bushing and a hose adapter. Any hardware store will have this stuff.
    Good to know! I was thinking they could dig a small trench across the road, lay a PVC pipe bigger than the hose and cover it and run the hose through the pipe and into the canal. Since its a small pump I was going to have them take some of the old pallets and build a "box" like thing to screw the pump into so it sits up off the ground somewhat. I'll have to look and see what the pump was rated for suction/distance wise. I think it was big enough to pump around.... 600 gallons an hour?