Page 54 of 135 FirstFirst ... 42944515253545556576479104 ... LastLast

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

Re: RCMC #135 - Merry Christmas - Happy New Year

Quote Originally Posted by Barbaraann View Post
    I am thankful for my nice warm house. Especially today when it's minus one degree outside. We are having a very cold snowy Winter here in Chicago. Moreso than usual.

Happy Thursday everyone. I wish that my grandson would find a job really soon.
    And here in So Cal we are having summer like weather.... was actually thinking that we could of run the swamp cooler the other day. Its been in the 70's... clear sunny and no rain in site.

Quote Originally Posted by coopercaseycody View Post
    So... my son received a letter for academics. And he just won a School Board Academic Achievement Award, given to only 4 students per year out of his school of 4,000. Proud mama here.
    Whooo hOooooooo!!!

I think I need a hobby.

Does internet shopping count as one?
    Sure!

I was an average student. I went, just because I had to. My husband loved school. He is disappointed that his kids did not go to college like he did. Our grandson hated school, and now we wonder if he will ever find a job.
    I did ok in school. I didn't love school but I did ok and managed to get an AA...

Ghiradelli chocolate is good.
    Any Chocolate is good.

I love dark chocolate. Dark chocolate and coconut. Although too much of anything will play havoc with my stomach.
    Umm... coconut... thats good too!

I guess I could have lived my life a little differently. Mostly, I wish that I had made better use of my time. The older that I get, the more I realize that each day needs to be lived to it's fullest.
    I think all of us look back and wonder what might of been if only..... so many paths to take as you move forward, who knows how things would of been different if we had turned left instead of right...

The cost of college is so outrageous. My grandson went for two semesters, and decided it wasn't for him. I can only say, what he owes for those two semesters, is really ridiculous.

My younger son went to mechanic school right out of highschool, and paid off the loan totally on his own. He is a great mechanic, and has always been self sufficient. Never borrowed one penny from his parents. Now he is married, and thinking about having his own kids. Sometimes he says that he should have studied harder in highschool, and he could have went to a four year college. Not sure what direction he would have went with his life. I have always thought the path that he took, suited him perfectly.
    Daughter shared this with me a bit ago... one of her FB friends posted it.

Just gunna rant for a moment. I am $37,000.00 in debt for school. Why do I feel so ****ty for getting an education? If I pay $100.00 dollars a month it will still take me about 31 years to pay off, not including interest. This doesn't account for the fact that I want a cell phone, car insurance, health insurance and forget about owing any land or a house. **** my life, seriously. This makes me want to cry thinking that there are so many that are in even a deeper **** hole than I am. I'll just silently steep in hatred until I'm a senior citizen. Thanks California! * you. Okay, I'm done."

"Whoops! Let's add $10,000.00 for the credential program if I even want to earn enough to pay that off. And **** even thinking about going to head school. It would be smarter to have 10 kids and live off welfare."
    Her degree is almost the same as my daughter... my daughter's major was Art Education, and her friend was Art Ed/ Studio Art with a focus in printmaking and sculpture. Thankfully daughters student loan is only around $10,500 but one of the reasons she left California was because getting a teaching credential was cheaper in Idaho.

Of course now she's working as a Psycho Social Rehab Worker instead...

Its sad that in order to try to get a good job and make better money you end up so far in debt you can never pay it off with that good job you hope to get...

Now that my mom and dad and both of my brothers are gone, I guess I think about some things a bit too much. I don't talk to my only sister anywhere near as much as I'd like.

My husband tells me to "get on the plane, and visit Disneyland as much as I want". He knows how much it means to me, and how much fun I always have.
    And my husband thinks Disneyland is a waste of time and money and constantly give me nothing but grief if I even mention it...

You, too, Barbara! I have missed my RCMC home! Be sure and post pictures of your finished projects! I always love seeing those!
    And we've missed you!!! Glad to have to back among the living!

Quote Originally Posted by swampymarsh View Post
    So much work to get done so I can fly to Salt Lake city tomorrow.

I was busy. Now I'm exhausted. 1 hours left.
    Ski trip?

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleman View Post
    MMMmmm and I have some Ghiradelli chocolate .......
    And Kimmy ,I not going to share with you.......Jim
    But do you have Pepsi to go with that chocolate?

Quote Originally Posted by Rex Dopey24 View Post
    hey room. hope you all are having a nice thursday evening
    Hey Rex!

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

• Triple Goddess

I think, fingers crossed, that I finally have my migraines under control. I got a good prescription and have gotten pretty good and knowing the beginning symptoms of one and can catch it before it knocks me down. Now that I am not suffering so much, I can spend more time here, home.

• world class bilge rat

Don't take this the wrong way, but college isn't for everyone.

I never went to college, heck I barely graduated high school. In fact, I'd bet a lot that they graduated me mostly so they wouldn't have to put up with me for another year.

But I've done pretty well. I like my job (most of the time....lol), and back when my wife was still alive, she didn't go back to work after our daughter was born. We got by just fine on what I made.

I own my house free and clear, no car payments, in fact, the only payments I have are the mortgages on my rental houses.

My oldest son (29) never went to college. He is an electrician, just like me. He also likes his job. And while he and his wife do have a mortgage on their house, they have no problem making the payments.

I'm certainly not saying that college is bad, but there are successful people who did not attend.

• world class bilge rat

Aw, shucks. Coming from you, that means a lot! You're a pretty terrific dad yourself!
    Thanks, Kim!

Yes, it was a lot of work at times, but man oh man, was it ever worth it.

It'll be a few years, but you'll see this too; there is no feeling anywhere like seeing your kids move out on their own and make good decisions. Unbelievable as it sometimes seemed, they actually were listening........

•   
    • Jester of Randomness

Blog Entries

I think, fingers crossed, that I finally have my migraines under control. I got a good prescription and have gotten pretty good and knowing the beginning symptoms of one and can catch it before it knocks me down. Now that I am not suffering so much, I can spend more time here, home.
    Glad your are feeling better!! Headaches are no fun, and migraines esp can make life miserable!

Quote Originally Posted by micromind View Post
    Don't take this the wrong way, but college isn't for everyone.

I never went to college, heck I barely graduated high school. In fact, I'd bet a lot that they graduated me mostly so they wouldn't have to put up with me for another year.

But I've done pretty well. I like my job (most of the time....lol), and back when my wife was still alive, she didn't go back to work after our daughter was born. We got by just fine on what I made.

I own my house free and clear, no car payments, in fact, the only payments I have are the mortgages on my rental houses.

My oldest son (29) never went to college. He is an electrician, just like me. He also likes his job. And while he and his wife do have a mortgage on their house, they have no problem making the payments.

I'm certainly not saying that college is bad, but there are successful people who did not attend.
    I've always been an advocate of training for whatever life you want. If you are college material and want to go that way then cool. But not everyone can or should focus on higher education. I think we do so many of our kids a major disservice now days by not providing more vo tech training for those that are just not college material.

all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

• world class bilge rat

Hubby said he lettered in lunch.
    About the only thing I would have lettered in was getting into mischief and causing problems.

Lol.

I didn't exactly letter in this, because there was no letter, but when I was a senior in 1974, the school signed up for the Plymouth Troubleshooting Contest.

This was a contest put on by The Chrysler Corporation, and they had new cars that had problems intentionally created. It was up to the auto shop students to fix the cars, and whoever was done first won.

Of course, this didn't go exactly smoothly......it was the first year the school ever did it. It was teams of two, and the other guy I chose was a junior. About a week before the contest, we found out that it was open to seniors only. So I had to pick a senior. And we had very little time to study.

We had no idea what to expect when we got to the place with all the broken cars. Or even what they typically did to them. Or even what model they would be.

In spite of all that, we took 5th out of 33. I still have my trophy.

Later, we found out that 11 schools take two guys and train them specifically for this contest.

Not bad for a dumb-head who hated school......lol.

• world class bilge rat

Quote Originally Posted by penguinsoda View Post
    I've always been an advocate of training for whatever life you want. If you are college material and want to go that way then cool. But not everyone can or should focus on higher education. I think we do so many of our kids a major disservice now days by not providing more vo tech training for those that are just not college material.
    This is absolutely true.

I do horribly in a structured learning environment, but turn me loose with a broken machine and I'll learn it as I go.

I actually do believe that a lot, if not most, kids would go further in life with at least some formal education.

My daughter is presently going to college to be a nurse. She loves it. I back her 100%.

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by penguinsoda View Post
    Yes, while I hold multiple degrees, I don't think college should be the goal for everyone. I think high schools push it and parents want it, but it doesn't work out. Life is a bell curve. We may all play bastketball, but only a few will reach the NBA and a few will be miserable at it, the rest somewhere in between. Same goes with everything else, including school.
    Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

•   
    • Jester of Randomness

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by swampymarsh View Post
    Yes, while I hold multiple degrees, I don't think college should be the goal for everyone. I think high schools push it and parents want it, but it doesn't work out. Life is a bell curve. We may all play bastketball, but only a few will reach the NBA and a few will be miserable at it, the rest somewhere in between. Same goes with everything else, including school.
    Totally agree. Not everyone can be a brain surgeon. We also need the people to fix our cars and serve our food and deliver our goods and pick up the trash... a lot of emphasis is placed college prep in high school. Fine if thats what you want but the others get left behind and end up getting into trouble because society has no faith that they too can play a role... they just need to be given the tools.

•   
    • RCMC: Java Junkie

Totally wiped out today. I helped some friends move some things and go through stuff of his dead mom's. They came across a bunch of certificates for See's candy They had a box given to them and we brought it with us, I probably ate 4 or 5 pieces. That stuff is addicting.

Have a good night peeps cuz I'm off to bed….

• Under that tree again!

Nanners everyone. Half day and then ski trip.
    Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

•   
    • Jester of Randomness

Blog Entries

Hey Lori!

Nanners Swampy!! I think I'd better head out too!

Nanners all.

•   
    • Jester of Randomness

Blog Entries

TGI Friday!!!!!

Yeah thats all I have for now....

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Speaking of headaches, I have one this morning. I need to get dressed and get to the bank today. It's another cold one outside, with temperatures just a few degrees above zero.

Speaking of college. My grandson wants to take online classes. The thing is, that he doesn't realize all that it entails to sign up for these things. It's the same as enrolling in a regular college. He is a bit upset with me at the moment, because I wouldn't plop down my credit card for the $75 application fee. I read all the fine print, and Sean is the total opposite. I guess perhaps, this has something to do with my headache this morning.

Hopefully my Friday will get better.