Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Banned User

Fantasy Casting: Live-action Disney Alice in Wonderland.

Just hanging around lots of Disney fans here on the boards and my choice of Halloween costume can inspire thoughts to create stuff, so here I am with a fun "Let's pretend" game.

Let's say you're a Hollywood casting agency, and Disney has just called you to say that they have green-lighted a live-action version of the 1951 animated film Alice in Wonderland. You have been chosen for this movie and you want to cast many of the roles from this film. Although the first and final scenes would be updated as contemporary scenes, and two numbers from the original film - Twas Brilling and The Un-Birthday Song - would be in full production number use instead of being condensed, the rest of the film (live-action with some CGI elements) would retain the charm of the original.

Here's the major contemporary scene: A college student, Allison Liddell, is studying to become a [insert tough major here] in modern-day [city here] when upon seeing a six-foot-tall white rabbit, she falls into a wild and wacky world, and is changed from her modern clothes into the familiar outfit of that ten-year old girl. Now for the first round of casting:

• Allison/Alice would be played by Mandy Moore. She's an excellent singer and has unlike Brittney or Lindsay steered away from the pitfalls of being a young star. The White Rabbit would be played by Rick Schroder.
    • For Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum, I went with John Cleese and Eric Idle, two veteran members of the Monty Python troupe that have played off each other well. For the Walrus and Carpenter song, Frank Calliendo plays the Walrus (with prostetics) and Matthew Perry is the Carpenter.
    • As much as I hate the franchise that is High School Musical, Corbin Bleu would be chosen to play the Cheshire Cat, and his modern take on Twas Brilling, a/k/a "Jabberwocky" would be fun in a production number.
    • Another production number (namely The Un-Birthday Song) would be at the Tea Party, where I cast the voice of Abagail Breslin for the CGI Doormouse, and in the live action roles, Steve Martin as The Mad Hatter and Daniel Radcliffe would play The March Hare.
    • I had a semi-hard time for the role of the Queen of Hearts, but choosing Vanessa Williams (the former dethroned Miss America) would be great, and her henpecked husband, the King of Hearts, would be played by Chris Tucker.

Do you have any ideas for the other roles such as the Caterpillar (who instead of smokes from a hookah, blows bubbles) or other characters from the movie? Who would you choose instead of those I have already chosen? Please feel free to post those ideas here.
    Last edited by mouseinphilly; 08-03-2007 at 01:37 AM.

• Merry 2014!

Re: Fantasy Casting: Live-action Disney Alice in Wonderland.

You going as Alice again to trick or treat? lol

Dave Chapelle for the Caterpillar. He is so freakin funny, relevant, and edgy. Or the Chesire Cat, whichever is larger.

Have to look up the rest of the cast because I can see their faces but not their names.

Oh, how about Alice Cooper for Alice?

Wait, been already done. Nevermind.
    Sig by Poisonedapples!

• Banned User

Chappele as the Caterpillar? I don't know if he'll work that long. Maybe Andre Benjamin (Andre 3000 of Outkast) would be a fun pick to be the bubble-blowing Caterpillar. I chose Corbin Bleu as the Cheshire Cat for his singing talents and dancing skills.

And I'm handing out treats as Alice. This also serves as my cosplay costume at cons.

• Banned User

*silence; crickets* Anyone?

i like your ideas for tweedle dee and tweedle dum and totally agree that eric idle and john cleese would be perfect.

for the mad hatter i would choose either martin short or i forget the guys name but he played porthos in the disney version three musketeers and played a guy who was engaged to some girl in casanova, very funny guy.

for the chesire cat, well that is a toughy, you have to get someone that can do crazy but not overdone. ill have to come back on that one

queen of hearts will have to go to either rosanne, or queen latifa.

king of hearts for some reason, the guy that voiced rex in toy story keeps popping up.

i was thinking mandy moore as well for alice.

• Banned User

The one thing against Martin Short is that he's already played the Mad Hatter in the 1999 Hallmark production. In the case of Roseanne or Queen Latifah as the Queen of Hearts, well, we all know Roseanne can't sing for her supper, see that so-called version of The Star Mangled Stammer at a Padres game over 15 years ago. If Vanessa Williams isn't available to do that role, Dana Owens (the Queen's birth name) would be the number two pick.

Corbin Bleu is a great singer and dancer, and he can go crazy but not over the top in the Cheshire Cat role. And since I am casting an African-American as QoH, I'll stick with Chris Tucker as the King.

•   
    • Delawarean Girl

Queen Latifah as the Queen of Hearts would be a good choice. I keep thinking Queen of Hearts should be a manly like girl. Like Rosie o'Donnell. Shame that Verna Felton is no longer with us. She was the perfect manly voice ever. In case you don't know Verna Felton. She voiced Wilma Flinstone's Mother, The Matriach Elephant from Dumbo, made a memorable appearance of I love Lucy, & of course the voice of Queen of Hearts.

All I'm saying someone that can capture Verna Felton's voice and can fill for the role.

I don't see Roseanne, however. Her appearance would look the part. But you would want this to be a good movie. Roseanne has made alot of flops in her career. Maybe the lady from the old Drew Carey show would be good. You can just dye her hair black.

• Banned User

You might be thinking about Kathy Kinney, and she'd have to wear a wig.

•   
    • Delawarean Girl

Quote Originally Posted by mouseinphilly View Post
    You might be thinking about Kathy Kinney, and she'd have to wear a wig.
    Yes, that is who I'm thinking of. The one who played Mimi from the Drew Carey show. She has the look and I'm sure she can do a manly girl voice and all you would need is a black wig or have her dye her hair black.
    Last edited by Hayley B; 08-03-2007 at 06:49 PM.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Hayley B View Post
    Yes, that is who I thinking of. The one who played Mimi from the Drew Carey show. She has the look and I'm sure she can do a manly girl voice and all you would need is a black wig or have her dye her hair black.
    She would be good, I gotta admit.

Only casting choice I don't agree with is Mandy Moore as Alice. I can see her as modern-day Alice, but not the blue dress, blonde hair Alice. Not sure at the moment who I would cast as Alice.

But I like all the ideas of your casting so far.
    Press today is so concerned with cool vs. not cool that they're starting to forget good vs. bad. I'm not sure I'll ever be "cool", but I will always tirelessly strive to be "great". - Josh Groban

• Banned User

Well Ms. Moore will not be wearing a blonde wig unless she decides to dye her hair, but I have seen cosplayers wearing the blue dress without blonde wigs. And the main plot point is that the story is bridged with modern scenes. She would play a college student studying for her major when seeing the rabbit, and she falls down a sewer hole(?) into the familiar outfit.

• Banned User

Now I have another challenge.

You know the scene where the cards are painting the white roses red? The one where the Queen of Hearts catches them (literally) red-handed? They would be played by Myley Cyrus, Michael Keaton, Amanda Bynes and Darrell Hammond in my casting. Who'd you pick?

• The Twilight Zone

I don't like the idea of Corbin Blue as the chesire cat. It's a hard pick to choose but not him.

•   
    • Delawarean Girl

Quote Originally Posted by hauntedhoilday View Post
    I don't like the idea of Corbin Blue as the chesire cat. It's a hard pick to choose but not him.
    I would like to say Jack Nicholson as the chesire cat. Just thinking about his smile when was the Joker in Batman. He has a great smile just like the chesire cat does.

But Jack Nicholson, would be alot of money. Just to play that role.

• The Twilight Zone

jim carey? maybe i'm still thinking of it

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast