Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

I'm Having Gastric Bypass...

Wasn't TOTALLY comfortable putting this in the main forum, but i was just curious if you ladies had any feedback about it or if you've had it or know someone who has?

It's becoming more and more popular by the year. I'm nervous, but really excited too. I know it's going to be a major life change for me, but i'm actually looking forward to it.

My insurance company requires a lot of up front classes, support groups and medical testing before the actual surgery, so i haven't even met with the surgeon yet for my initial meeting.
    I am almost done with the weight management classes with a dietician and i've been to a support group for weight loss patients. Last night I went to a seminar that details the surgery and recovery. Now i'll be starting medical testing to ensure my body can handle the stress that the surgery will put on me.

I've struggled with my weight for many years and on my last physical, after blood tests were done, my primary doc told me i was pre-diabetic. That really scared me. Since I already have a family history of Diabetes, i knew it was only a matter of time. I also have high blood pressure.
    When I asked the doctor about the possibilty of the surgery, he thought i would be a good canidate for it.

So, there's my mini-story.

I've learned sooo much about the surgery and how the quality of people's lives increase after it.
    Within months after surgery diabetes, high blood pressure and sleep apnea are gone from most patients!

I'll keep you guys updated with my progress, but i'd really love to hear your feedback.
    A Dream Is a Wish Your Heart Makes....

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Re: I'm Having Gastric Bypass...

Congratulations on making the decision! You have all my thoughts, prayers and support. I am over 100 pounds overweight and am diabetic myself. I support you in the path you have chosen!
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Radiobarry View Post
    Congratulations on making the decision! You have all my thoughts, prayers and support. I am over 100 pounds overweight and am diabetic myself. I support you in the path you have chosen!

Thank you sooo much for the support! I really appreciate it!

It is a big decision, bu i think its the right one for me.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Arizona's own

Blog Entries

Speaking personally I think you would be much better off trying something different possibly lap band surgery which is not permanent. My sister had gastric bypass 6 years ago and although she lost 150 pounds and is no longer considered diabetic she has had to undergo 3 additional surgeries due to complications. She can no longer eat anything other than very tiny food amounts. No carbonated beverages and the long term effects are still not known. In addition she has started to regain some weight back just as many, many gastric bypass patients do.

I know being overweight sucks, because I am a rubinesque woman but I think you need to do a lot more research before you make such a long term life altering choice. Just my .02 BTW my husband lost 50 pounds last year by using a treadmill and drinking soy protein shakes for breakfast, lunch, eating a sensible dinner and then a dessert shake. I lost 25 pounds and have kept all but 5 pounds of it off and we are re-starting our routine because I would like to lose another 25 pounds and he wants to drop another 50.

• no flash photography...

i don't know much about it. My concerns are the long term effects.....not the short term. I'm not sure there is enough info on how it effects people 50 years from when they get it.

I do know it works very well to help loose weight....there are things I've heard that would not be right for me.

Quote Originally Posted by pratt55 View Post

I know being overweight sucks, because I am a rubinesque woman but I think you need to do a lot more research before you make such a long term life altering choice. Just my .02 BTW my husband lost 50 pounds last year by using a treadmill and drinking soy protein shakes for breakfast, lunch, eating a sensible dinner and then a dessert shake. I lost 25 pounds and have kept all but 5 pounds of it off and we are re-starting our routine because I would like to lose another 25 pounds and he wants to drop another 50.
    I'm, about 60 pounds over weight...or at least i was. About 1 1/2 months ago I stopped drinking diet soda and really watched what I ate. As of today I've lost 15 pounds and this after 3 years of failed diets where I would only loose 2 to 5 pounds tops.

a lady at my work had the surgery. She can only eat tiny amounts of food several times a day and she did loose weight, but she is gaining it back now. Another one of my co-workers mother had it done a long time ago. She is having medical issues and the doctors don't know why. Her body will not absorb nutrition or a certain type....anyway, she faints and is always in the hospital. They have not ruled out it's a long term surgery effect, but only because there have not been enough studies on it.

• Mr. Faranheit

Blog Entries

I've lost 45 pounds with drinking about a gallon of water a day and eating slightly better. At my high, I was over 290. Now I'm 245. I tneed to weigh again since I've had to punch another hole in my belt.
    Be controversial

Be outspoken

Be outrageous

Just don't be boring

Quote Originally Posted by justjohn View Post
    I've lost 45 pounds with drinking about a gallon of water a day and eating slightly better. At my high, I was over 90. Now I'm 245. I tneed to weigh again since I've had to punch another hole in my belt.
    all i drink is water and it's about a gallon a day. Congrats on your weight loss.

Thanks for your feedback and the concern!
    All very good points. We don't know the long term effects. But i do know that i have tried numerous diets over the past 10-15 years and I am still overweight and still have too many health risks.

My weight is also genetic. Weight is an issue on both sides of my family.

I am aware of the effects of the small portions and no sodas (i don't drink sodas anyways).

As far as the lap band, if you have more than 75 lbs to lose, you don't qualify for it. I'm also over the weight allowance for that surgery type.

The doctor who held the seminar last night addressed all these concerns.

Although we don't know the long term effects, gastric bypass surgery has been performed as far back as the late 70's with more positive results than negative.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Arizona's own

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SCUBAbe View Post
    I'm, about 60 pounds over weight...or at least i was. About 1 1/2 months ago I stopped drinking diet soda and really watched what I ate. As of today I've lost 15 pounds and this after 3 years of failed diets where I would only loose 2 to 5 pounds tops.

They have not ruled out it's a long term surgery effect, but only because there have not been enough studies on it.
    I tried warning my sister before she had the surgery that there just is not enough studies yet on the long term effects but she was desperate to become thin. Did it make her happy in life, nope. She thought losing weight would fix her problems but its just given her new ones. Plus when she lost all the weight initially she had all this flabby extra skin and needed to have plastic surgery to have it removed, guess what insurance does not pay for that. I have noticed most gastric bypass patients end up looking very old in a short period of time. I'm not sure if it is due to the rapid weight loss or what but their faces seem to age about 10 years.

Scubabe your doing it the right way, it may be slower but it is less stress on your heart, your skin, your future health and your wallet.

your decision has been made. Nothing said here will change it. I wish you the best.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Arizona's own

Blog Entries

By the way congrats John. I will miss my greasy fatty foods but I am not going to miss my belly when I get my weight down.

• Mr. Faranheit

Blog Entries

I never even realized I lost weight. I did notice my clothes getting looser, but I had not weighed myself in months.
    Be controversial

Be outspoken

Be outrageous

Just don't be boring

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • It's knittingknurse now.

Blog Entries

Just be really careful on your diet post surgery because it's really easy to become malnutritished (sp?).

Best diet: get a guide dog and move at least 20-30 minutes from any fast food. Lost 30lbs in 3 months because of that.

Quote Originally Posted by pratt55 View Post
    I tried warning my sister before she had the surgery that there just is not enough studies yet on the long term effects but she was desperate to become thin. Did it make her happy in life, nope. She thought losing weight would fix her problems but its just given her new ones. Plus when she lost all the weight initially she had all this flabby extra skin and needed to have plastic surgery to have it removed, guess what insurance does not pay for that. I have noticed most gastric bypass patients end up looking very old in a short period of time. I'm not sure if it is due to the rapid weight loss or what but their faces seem to age about 10 years.

Scubabe your doing it the right way, it may be slower but it is less stress on your heart, your skin, your future health and your wallet.

There are a lot of misconceptions about the end results after surgery. If you have it later in life, you skin has lost a lot of elasticity which does in fact make it look very flabby, but at my age (i'm only 30) if you follow the diet and exercise instructions and tone your body as you lose the weight, flabby skin will no be a huge concern.
    Also, your skin does tighten back up within a year after your surgery naturally which is why they tell post op patients to hold off on any cosmetic surgery as you may not need it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast