Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Always watching...

Red Face Do You Keep Greeting Cards?

I was doing some cleaning today and was cleaning out a chest I keep all my personal memorabilia in. Everything ranging from concert/play programs, to tickets from shows, to childhood stuff (crafts, toys, my 1st teddy bear ), to old yearbooks, to Disney momentos, old pictures, etc...you get the idea.

But what I realize was taking up a lot of room are birthday, Christmas, and just general cards I've received from friends and family throughout the years. I've never gone back and looked at these cards, but I also can't seem to throw them out. It feels like I'm throwing out a small present from someone. I don't have a problem throwing out cards that are just generic and just a name was signed, it's the ones with personal notes and that mean something.

I took them all out of the chest and put them in a big plastic bag, but not sure what to do with them. Maybe on some day when I'm bored or feeling down, I'll pull them out and start reading them to cheer me up.

So, my question to you...do you keep cards you get from friends and family, or read them when you get them, and toss them out?

•   
    • So fetch

Re: Do You Keep Greeting Cards?

I'm guilty of this. I have a few shoe boxes filled with greeting cards. I look at them whenever I move or I'm rearranging how I store stuff.

• formerly PretzelSouls!

I use to keep them forever, but now they are piling up and they take forever to search through. Lately, I only keep the meaningful ones.
    "Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've imagined." -Henry David Thoreau

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Arizona's own

Blog Entries

Gee Jojo can't you just guess with me, your fellow box queen? Of course I keep them. Why I have no idea, but I do.

• Minion

when my mother passed away we found an old box with all the sympathy cards from whe my brother passed away. He was 9 months old, and was born in the early 50s. My mother passes away in 1996, so she had kept them almost 50 years!!! I don't know that she ever took them out and looked at them though, as none of us other kids knew she had them

Originally Posted by Disney Wrassler
    Tassie, I found a quote for ya !

"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia."

Charles M. Schulz
    Originally Posted by MWalton
    Did the pages take that long to reach around to your part of the world?!?

• Little Miss Sunshine

I keep what is meaningful or interesting - including photo cards of family members (some of those end up on the refrigerator). I tend to also keep Christmas cards for a year, until the next Christmas. Then I throw most out when the new cards come in.
    Denise

www.mousesteps.com

Favorite TDL Typo:

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    I think it will give more pipping pervs the reason needed to go parasailing
    on Bay Lake.

• Always watching...

Quote Originally Posted by pratt55 View Post
    Gee Jojo can't you just guess with me, your fellow box queen? Of course I keep them. Why I have no idea, but I do.
    Somehow, I knew you'd understand ...now if only I'd kept some of those tons of boxes I have thrown away, I'd have somewhere to store them

• Always watching...

Quote Originally Posted by tassie View Post
    when my mother passed away we found an old box with all the sympathy cards from whe my brother passed away. He was 9 months old, and was born in the early 50s. My mother passes away in 1996, so she had kept them almost 50 years!!! I don't know that she ever took them out and looked at them though, as none of us other kids knew she had them
    Recently, I had my very dear elderly cousins pass away (they died within 12 hrs of each other). While going through their house, I found all the cards I had sent to them for mother's/father's day, birthday, holidays, etc. This touched me more than anything else that they had kept these through the years. I kept them and have now added them to my collection.

• GO DBACKS!!

During my periodic purges of the house I will go sort through old greeting cards. If it makes me feel warm and fuzzy when I look at it I keep it. On the other hand if I look at it and wonder why I'm keeping it then it goes. Needless to say, I have a dorm trunk full of old memorabilia like that. Stuff like that may not serve any purpose right now but many years from now when I have more time to reminisce I'm sure they will be gold.

It wasn't me, it was Lisa!

• Incognito

Blog Entries

I keep cards only when there's a special note in there. I have cards from family, friends, ex's and Brian. Not many total, but they obviously meant something special at the time. It's nice to go back and read them, even the ones from the ex's.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

2 weeks, then they hit the recycling bin. Only ones I keep are from NNL. However, we still do have the wedding ones so far. Not sure exactly how to handle them.
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

We will keep them, as I am a pack rat lol I usually only keep the ones w/personal notes though.
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• Disappearing/Reappearing

My mother made a scrape book of all my wedding cards...it's somewhere at her house. haha.

I keep the cards from my parents. Esp. the ones they send to my daughter. One day, she'll look back and be glad to have them. I keep the ones from my husband and daughter too.

• Little Miss Sunshine

Quote Originally Posted by yoyoflamingo View Post
    2 weeks, then they hit the recycling bin. Only ones I keep are from NNL. However, we still do have the wedding ones so far. Not sure exactly how to handle them.
    I was given a scrapbook for the cards, so they are still around. But I don't think I've ever looked at them (after the first time).

I do like to have at least one card from everyone I really care about - that way if they pass, it's something to remember them by (I think about that more with elderly family members - especially one grandparent who is 95). I don't collect a lot of stuff, so I do like to keep what has meaning - everything else tends to get tossed eventually.

I do keep postcards longer, because they tend to be much more personal than greeting cards.
    Denise

www.mousesteps.com

Favorite TDL Typo:

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    I think it will give more pipping pervs the reason needed to go parasailing
    on Bay Lake.

• loves a silver lining

Blog Entries

I'm a cardkeeper too. I have a ton. In fact, I still have some on my entertainment center from my birthday(in June) because they make me smile

Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast