Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Don't diss my bonnet

the location of my profile picture is Knott's in 1972, i'm about 10 months old.

Sephora Question

if you go into a Sephora will they help someone with little to no makeup experience get started? the extent of my makeup buying is finding cheap eyeliner and mascara at wal*mart....yeah i know its pathetic for someone who's pushing 40....

anyways, if not Sephora, can someone recommend a place that does this?

thanks
    Will there be screams when the sun sets,
    -=Is It October Yet?=-

Quote Originally Posted by Tinkermonkey
    elly is the ultimate nerdy girl. But she makes it sexy
    Quote Originally Posted by pratt55
    Elly is adorkable.

• Scentsy Minion

Blog Entries

Re: Sephora Question

You can absolutely go to Sephora. You'll just have to hope that you find a good sales associate.

You can go to a Bare Escentuals store, or a Merle Norman store, and they'll be more than happy to go through everything with you. I had a Merle Norman consultant prescribe my makeup colors and regimen when I first was allowed to wear makeup. It helped a lot!!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Don't diss my bonnet

thanks MissC, i'll have to see if we even have a Bare Escentuals store here in hicksville:P

..Merle Norman....wow, i havent' heard that name since the early 1980s! i had no idea they even still existed!

thanks again
    -=Is It October Yet?=-

Elly is adorkable.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • It's knittingknurse now.

Blog Entries

Sephora can help and/or if they have an "in store day" where a brand there comes in and has "make overs" or a consultant that helps.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

The Mac counters do as well, i've heard good things about them. They're in some department stores. VERY helpful i know
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• loves a silver lining

Blog Entries

Elly, I'd suggest going to Sephora early in the day, on a weekday, when they're less busy. Then let them know that you want a makeover and that you're a makeup novice. They're really good with that.

Bare Escentuals is GREAT with that too, but I don't think they have a location near you

Let us know how it goes!!

Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ

• formerly PretzelSouls!

Quote Originally Posted by NeverNeverland View Post
    The Mac counters do as well, i've heard good things about them. They're in some department stores. VERY helpful i know

I have had horrible luck with Mac counters, I've gone to 7 of them in the past year or so and none have been kind, friendly, or helpful. They will do makeovers to help you get started but the one at my mall charges $60.

On the other hand, I went to Sephora at the Manhattan Mall and they were EXTREMELY helpful and friendly...I told them about what I was looking for and they jumped right in with suggestions and showed me how to apply the different types of make up. They were able to help me find the right powder, blush bronzer, eye shadow and lip gloss for my skin tone.
    "Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've imagined." -Henry David Thoreau

• no flash photography...

Quote Originally Posted by PretzelSouls View Post
    I have had horrible luck with Mac counters, I've gone to 7 of them in the past year or so and none have been kind, friendly, or helpful. They will do makeovers to help you get started but the one at my mall charges $60.
    department stores counter will help you so you buy stuff and then they earn commission...they don't help just to help....like sephora does.

• Scentsy Minion

Blog Entries

Yep yep, Merle Norman is still around and surviving. The last time I shopped there (about 2 or 3 years ago) they were working on making the packaging cuter. They still had their signature cases for the foundations and such, but for the seasonal eye shadows and colors, they'd been coming up with some really cute shapes and layouts.

And in regards to MAC counters, I'd suggest trying to find a MAC store near you. I seem to have better luck with happy consultants with the MAC stores vs. the counters in department stores.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Quote Originally Posted by dsnylndmom View Post
    Elly, I'd suggest going to Sephora early in the day, on a weekday, when they're less busy. Then let them know that you want a makeover and that you're a makeup novice. They're really good with that.

Bare Escentuals is GREAT with that too, but I don't think they have a location near you

Let us know how it goes!!
    Excellent advice! And since they sell Bare Minerals at Sephora, they can give you the 411 on that too. The Sephora closest to me always has a small crowd around the BM section with at least 1 or 2 employees answering questions.

And no there is no bare Escentuals boutique in Reno. The only one in Nevada is in Vegas. Here's a list of all the BE boutiques across the country:

bareMinerals - Boutique listings

But there is a Sephora in Reno! According to Sephora's website, it's in the Summit Reno area.

http://sephora.com/help/stores/contr...l?store=C17993

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Don't diss my bonnet

ty aimster i'd noticed our old Sephora was gone last time i went to Medowwood Mall, seems they moved further south

i might try the early in the morning thing at Sephora becuase its time i finally start doing something..i dont' even use a moisturizer or anything :|
    -=Is It October Yet?=-

Elly is adorkable.

• Scentsy Minion

Blog Entries

Also, don't be afraid to surf YouTube. There are LOTS of makeup videos and series out there that will get you inspired! One of my favorites is Panacea81. Her eye techniques are freakin' amazing!!!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • It's knittingknurse now.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by elly View Post
    ty aimster i'd noticed our old Sephora was gone last time i went to Medowwood Mall, seems they moved further south

i might try the early in the morning thing at Sephora becuase its time i finally start doing something..i dont' even use a moisturizer or anything :|
    You know what don't be afraid to play with stuff.

And if certain things scare you, try the tamed version. Foundation scared me for some reason (because I'm white and pale I think. Plus it felt weird to me). So I got Benefit's tinted moisterizer and that helped. You can ask someone at Sephora about makeup for people that have never really worn it before and see what they tell you.

• loves a silver lining

Blog Entries

KK, great advice! Tinted mositurizer is a great start for a make up newbie!

Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ

• Bionic Village Babe/RCMC

We just got a Sephora in our mall here, I'm overwhelmed.
    It's like screaming at you from every direction in various colours and styles and ridiculously priced brushes. I don't know where to start. Advice?

sorry if my post is misplaced, I had a Sephora question and thought it pointless to make another thread.

Bionic Village Babe of the RCMC
    "Wisdom is knowing what you don't know" - Socrates

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast