Thread: Toe cushions

• Senior Minion

Toe cushions

I was told by my doctor to get some toe cushions of sorts to keep between my toes to keep them from crowding (narrow foot in narrow shoes apparently is not a good idea). She said they were almost like a donut and really easy to find and that you can get several on a sheet. Well, i've tried several store pharmacies and they have no idea what I am talking about. I don't think it's the corn cushions or moleskin because those don't help separate your toes.

Does anyone have any idea what I am talking about? I was almost thinking she was talking about something like they use when you get a pedicure.
    Press today is so concerned with cool vs. not cool that they're starting to forget good vs. bad. I'm not sure I'll ever be "cool", but I will always tirelessly strive to be "great". - Josh Groban

• Disappearing/Reappearing

• Senior Minion

Re: Toe cushions

Thing is, I would need them for all of my toes, on both feet and to wear them while dancing too because those shoes are very narrow. Thanks for the links Stitchy, but I looked up those before and none are what I need. But thanks for trying.
    Press today is so concerned with cool vs. not cool that they're starting to forget good vs. bad. I'm not sure I'll ever be "cool", but I will always tirelessly strive to be "great". - Josh Groban

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • It's knittingknurse now.

Blog Entries

Could you use moleskin and wrap your toes all the time? Maybe get a pair of Birkenstocks to help spread your toes. I know that caused my feet to go from a normal width to wide (I went from a size 10.5 normal width to an 11 wide because of Birks.).

• formerly PretzelSouls!

Maybe these would help:
    Toe Separators : Sensitive Toe Relief : Toe Care : Footsmart.com
    http://www.shopwiki.com/detail/?q=toe+seperators&s=381748&o=114867148&d=Pro-Tec+Flexor+Toe+Seperators+(pair)
    http://www.feetlife.co.uk/Buy-Online...by-Silipos/358

I don't know if this would help at all and it sounds sorta goofy but:
    What about getting some soft-wax-earplugs that form to your ears and placing them between your toes? It would give you cushion and separation. The earplugs look like this and are sold in lots of brands:

The good thing about them would be that while you were moving, they will allow flex.
    Last edited by MsSarah; 02-06-2009 at 08:43 PM.
    "Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've imagined." -Henry David Thoreau

I would suggest these
    Discount Dance Supply

or these
    Discount Dance Supply

I've never heard of putting them between all your toes, just the first two. I'm sure your doctor is wanting to prevent from bunions and misalignment (what I have thanks to pointe. I should have worn spacers). I guess if you can comfortably wear them between all your toes. Maybe with a wider shoe. Good luck hope that helps.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by ameeg View Post
    I would suggest these
    Discount Dance Supply

or these
    Discount Dance Supply

I've never heard of putting them between all your toes, just the first two. I'm sure your doctor is wanting to prevent from bunions and misalignment (what I have thanks to pointe. I should have worn spacers). I guess if you can comfortably wear them between all your toes. Maybe with a wider shoe. Good luck hope that helps.
    Thanks! The people at the foot place where I bought some spacers said I can wear them between big and second or 4th and smallest toe as well. They are not that comfortable but at least they tend to stay in, and my doctor didn't really explain too well how long to wear them or how many and I tried to ask but she doesn't explain too well.
    I also went out and got some medium width shoes because the shoe place said wide would be too wide for my feet, even with the spacers.

I find that
    Discount Dance Supply
    or
    Discount Dance Supply

helps spread our the toes without taking up too much space in the pointe shoe. You may still need to look at getting a shoe that has a wider box, i recommend bloch european balances for that. They have a large box so your toes won't feel squished when you dance. Hope this helps

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Belle-erina View Post
    I find that
    Discount Dance Supply
    or
    Discount Dance Supply

helps spread our the toes without taking up too much space in the pointe shoe. You may still need to look at getting a shoe that has a wider box, i recommend bloch european balances for that. They have a large box so your toes won't feel squished when you dance. Hope this helps
    There really is only one kind of shoe (well, soft shoe anyways) that we wear and they are supposed to be small. I'm an Irish Dancer and my toes don't feel squished when I dance at all.
    But thanks for the advice!

• MiceChat News Team
    • Sparkle Plenty

Quote Originally Posted by ameeg View Post
    I'm sure your doctor is wanting to prevent from bunions and misalignment (what I have thanks to pointe. I should have worn spacers).
    Same. No one wore spacers or even knew of them when I started wearing pointe shoes. Oh, well.

• A Weather Eye Open

I was going to suggest Discount Dance Supply too... bunheads make so many of those kind of things! I never used them back when I was dancing, but I have pretty good feet (compressible, Gaynor Minden calls them "Egyptian") so I never had a problem with crowding. I imagine wearing these things with street shoes would feel incredibly comfortable!
    "And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by" (John Masefield)