• Mortals pay a token fee.

Let's get our hair did.

Where does everyone get their hair done and what services to they have done?

Anyone have any recommendations for getting a chemical hair straightening? I've had bad experiences in the past...

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Re: Let's get our hair did.

Depending on the financials, I either go to my regular salon (which is kind of upscale) or I go to a local Redken hair academy. I've had great experiences at both. Most I ever have done is cut & color. I'm currently growing my hair out again, so no cutting for awhile. And I've been coloring at home too, but I'm getting bored with this color (dark mahogany brown) and want to go a more rgular dark brown for awhile. When I do a color change, I go to the salon because they can get it all better (I can't see the back of my head well even with a mirror), then I find a box color as close to whatever they do in the salon for root touchups. Saves a lot of money in the long run.

As for the hair straightening... I have naturally straight hair, so never had that done.

Also, where do you live? We can give better salon recommendations if we know where you're located.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Mickey and 'Key

Blog Entries

I go to a salon... I need a trim badly, I stopped going when I was out of work. I just usually do a cut. Sometimes highlights.

My hair is naturally wavy and I love it so I've never had it straightened, sorry
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• formerly PretzelSouls!

I cut my own hair, I just cut it last night - I'm preparing for the warmer weather.

My hair is naturally wavy but I use to just use a professional straightener and Nexxus Sleek Memory Straightening Smoothing Spray which helps train your hair to be straighter. I don't know about your hair, but for my hair - if I layer it, it becomes more wavy so straight across cuts keep it a little straighter.

My friend always gets her hair chemically treated in Japan. My Uncle was a professional hair stylist with 45 years under his belt and he said that he would NEVER suggest chemically altering your hair to make it become straight - he believed that the chemicals can cause cancer. Good luck.
    "Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've imagined." -Henry David Thoreau

I hadn't noticed that I hadn't added my location in my profile just yet. Thanks aimster!

I've been getting my haircut by the same lady for years, but she's never done hair straightening herself and recommended I do it myself. I'm a bit wary of doing it, because I received chemical burns the last time I had it done by someone with "experience."

I have used a cosmetology academy before, and I have to admit, that I have gotten some great cuts and color there, but the mistakes can be a bit scary. Though the price is hard to argue against.

I currently use a ConAir electric hair straightener EVERY morning, and it's starting to get tiresome. Honestly looking for an easy way out! And as far as the cancer goes, I'm sure living life causes cancer so I'm not really concerned (I'm tired of seeing those Prop 65 warnings).

What is this memory spray you speak of?

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

It's by Nexxus. You can buy it at Trade Secret or salons that carry Nexxus products.

Trade Secret: Home

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Arizona's own

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TheGrimGrinner View Post
    I've been getting my haircut by the same lady for years, but she's never done hair straightening herself and recommended I do it myself. I'm a bit wary of doing it, because I received chemical burns the last time I had it done by someone with "experience."

I currently use a ConAir electric hair straightener EVERY morning, and it's starting to get tiresome. Honestly looking for an easy way out! And as far as the cancer goes, I'm sure living life causes cancer so I'm not really concerned (I'm tired of seeing those Prop 65 warnings).

Liscio Japanese Hair Straightening (total 35 comments)

I have extremely naturally thick, frizzy, curly hair so I know what your talking about when you say it gets very tiring to flat iron it all the time. My hairdresser uses the Japanese style hair straightening system (link above) and it usually lasts be about 6 months. The cost is about $250 to 300 by him but he comes to my home as it takes about 4 to 5 hours to complete. It leaves my hair in better condition then when I started. I have had my husband 'home straighten my hair' and although it does straighten, it does not last and usually causes heavy damage to my hair.

I would call around some salons in your area and see if any of them do the Japanese style and if so go in and get a consult.

• formerly PretzelSouls!

Quote Originally Posted by TheGrimGrinner View Post
    I hadn't noticed that I hadn't added my location in my profile just yet. Thanks aimster!

I have used a cosmetology academy before, and I have to admit, that I have gotten some great cuts and color there, but the mistakes can be a bit scary. Though the price is hard to argue against.

OT: I suppose you are right, I guess I just take his words like they are a fact because he passed away a few months ago from a rare blood cancer.
    Take the warning about the chemicals for what you'd like....everything has side effects, so you take your chance no matter what.

The memory spray I was talking about it sold at places such as Rite Aid.

You can read about here: CLICK It really depends on the person, it worked for me but it may not work for someone else - just like everything else. Good luck if you try it, I hope it works for you.
    "Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've imagined." -Henry David Thoreau

• formerly PretzelSouls!

Okay, went to the store tonight and picked a few things up.

I first grabbed what PretzelSouls recommended: Amazon.com: Nexxus Sleek Memory Straitening Smoothing Spray 7.5oz: Health & Personal Care

It was about $11 like it is on Amazon, and looks to be promising. I'll have to let you all know once I start trying it.

I was then trying to find the Aussie shampoo that oh, what do you know PretzelSouls recommended as well. (PretzelSouls for the win!) But unfortunately the store I visited did not carry the "smooth" line of Aussie...

I walked up and down the aisle browsing all the different treatments, and found this one: Amazon.com: Sunsilk Straighten Up Shampoo with Elastyn-E, 12-Ounce Bottles (Pack of 6): Health & Personal Care

So, I'll have to try them out and see if I can avoid the chemical straightening, as I fully understand how it can damage my hair. I'm mostly excited about the spray though, and hopefully it will work the wonders I expect from it! (hehe) Expect to hear from me soon with what I think of the products, and thanks for the recommendations Pretzel!

(On a side note, that japanese straightening seemed interesting too, but I have rather short hair and the cost just doesn't seem worthwhile for me.)