Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Disappearing/Reappearing

To tote or not to tote? (a purse, that is)

HI everyone! I'm sure that might seem like a weird question to some; but, I am on the verge of chucking mine. I rarely carried a purse before I had my daughter. It seems that after I had her, I accumulated more stuff. And yes, I caught that "disease" that most women catch at some point....the "oh I gotta have that purse" syndrome. I have acquired a nice, medium size, heavy duty, plastic tub full of purses. I have the formal clutch, the hobo bag, the Disney bag, the Marilyn bags....and more than one essential skull and crossbones bags.

Here's my ordeal though. I have some upper back problems, and recently...the purses are killing me! I don't care if I carry it on the right shoulder, left shoulder...for five minutes, or for an hour. It kills me. I actually didn't put two and two together until I accidentally left my purse in a JC Penney dressing room. Suddenly, I felt so light! I could stand up straight! I wasn't popping my neck and back every five seconds! Then, it hit me..."hey dummy...where's your purse?" After a brief panic mode.....and thankfully, finding my purse where I left it...it hit me.....

Why am I torturing myself like this?

So, I am considering chucking the purse, and as tacky as it may seem....carrying all my cards, licenses, etc in either a card case....or a very small (even maybe a man's ) wallet.

Do any of you do this? Do you have any other solutions? What kind of purses do you prefer to carry? Do they bother you?
    Last edited by Stitchy; 03-23-2009 at 03:00 PM.

• I see mouse people

Blog Entries

Re: To tote a or not to tote? (a purse, that is)

I'm a purse fiend! Unfortunately I'm like you in that I find that they also are hurting my back and I have neck/shoulder problems also.
    The question is...if you just carry a wallet, where will you put it? You don't want something you have to carry in your hand, that will just end up being left somewhere and it means you only have one hand free.
    You could try a fanny pack (hideously unfashionable but easy on your back). You could try a "Healthy back bag", which is a sort of teardrop-shaped one-strap over your shoulder bag, designed to carry the load in a more back friendly manner. you could try a cross-body bag, like the "lancelot" by Kipling, it's medium sized but durable and cross-body minimizes back pain also. There are mini-backpacks that sometimes help too.
    My son refers to my purse (whichever one I"m carrying) as the 'family bag' and he's right, I end up carrying everybody's stuff. As soon as I eliminate things from the bag, I end up needing them.

I thought about one of those little backpack purses....but, I just don't think I could fit everything in it.

What about a messenger bag? Has anyone tried those? I doubt that would work since the weight would still be on a shoulder...

I was thinking (as tacky as it may seem) of getting a small card case and carrying it in my back pocket. I live in my jeans....so, I always have a pocket.....

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

I used to NEVER carry a purse. I'd put my walet in one pocket and my lip gloss in the other. Sometimes I'd carry one of those thin purses that just holds cards.

Now I need too much stuff to do that.
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• Minion

Blog Entries

My mom hardly carries a purse. Normally it's just her wallet and keys. It works for her, but if you need to carry anything else,have you considered a hand bag with a small strap or a clutch?

• Senior Minion

I don't have much in my small purse, just wallet, keys, cell phone, lip gloss and sometimes ipod.

My mom had that problem when she had her shoulder surgery, and she wasn't crazy about the teardrop backpacks (reccomended to her) so she had a simple solution. Make me carry most of her stuff in my purse.

Just condense your stuff into what you REALLY need and get a small purse. Or as said before, a teardrop shaped one that is more across your back. I think that would be helpful.
    Press today is so concerned with cool vs. not cool that they're starting to forget good vs. bad. I'm not sure I'll ever be "cool", but I will always tirelessly strive to be "great". - Josh Groban

• formerly PretzelSouls!

I know what you mean, I carry everything but the kitchen sink in my purse. It gets really heavy because I keep: advil, bandaids, nail clippers, pocket knife, pens, pencils, gauze, hand wipes, alchocol wipes, neosporin, anti-bacterial stuff, my wallet, gift cards, credit card, money, lots of change, cell phone,mascara,eyeshadow,lip stick,chapstick,and a portable blush...heck...sometimes I carry more. I alternate shoulders every 3 minutes or so, it helps a little. I know this sounds weird...but how 'bout a fannypack?
    "Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've imagined." -Henry David Thoreau

I think I'd rather be in pain than wear a fanny pack. LOL.

But, PS...you sound like me. I have a little bag inside my purse where I carry anything that might spill.....face powder, lipgloss, antibaterial gel, pens, etc. Then, I carry a small brush and can of hairspray, since my daughter's hair has a natural tendency to look like a wild thing. Then, there's the waller, day planner, cell phone, keys, sunglasses, etc.

Pain, I tell you.

I am looking into the tear drop backpacks though. THANKS GUYS!

• formerly PretzelSouls!

Quote Originally Posted by Stitchy View Post
    I think I'd rather be in pain than wear a fanny pack. LOL.

Yeah....I totally agree with you!
    "Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've imagined." -Henry David Thoreau

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

How about something like this:

NWT! COACH SIGNATURE STUDDED SWINGPACK HANDBAG 42020 - eBay (item 170313575953 end time Mar-28-09 09:57:37 PDT)

A Coach swingpack is small (7.5"(L) x 8"(H) x 1"(W) ), but they can hold a small wallet and some misc small things and the strap is adjustable, so you can wear it cross-body. I have one and I use it when I don't want to carry my big Coach bag, like when I go to ballgames or concerts or out playing trivia. You can find them for good deals sometimes on ebay (I got mine at a flea market for $20.. and yes it's real, not a knockoff... I want to go back and get another).

• Im the fun mommy :)

there are small purses out there, and I could not imagine never going with out one. My purse is big, but when I do not need the big one I use a mini back pack.
    -------------------------------------------
    I miss dole whips......... can someone mail me one??

I recently picked up a wallet with a strap handle (detachable) and a long detachable shoulder strap. I'm still afraid to lose my purse, so it sits in my car "just in case" there's something in it that I need. So far I've only gone back for the purse once in the last month.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • It's knittingknurse now.

Blog Entries

I carry a Wallet-be from QVC if I'm going into church. It's a small wallet with a strap for my wrist. It holds my cash, cards, car key, and a lip gloss. It works for church.

I'm one of those people that carry EVERYTHING in my purse. I'm so over prepared. Wallet, lip glosses, mascara, carmex, puppy bags, wipes, napkins, water bottle, a bone, keys, half a dozen pens, and then because I have a tendency to get bored a lot either a book or a notebook (sometimes both), and a knitting project. I only condense when I need to.

• 333: I'm only half evil!!

Blog Entries

I carry a large purse...I've got tons of junk to carry...wallet, keys, cell, diapers, wipes, book, calendar, pens, checkbook, notepad, Excedrin, my other personal items, etc. LOL I have way too much to carry around, then my kids will ask me to tote their junk...same with hubby and his cell!! Now when I take the kids to school...it's wallet, keys and cell in my pockets of my hoodie.
    AP Holder.
    Stay at home mom of 4 - Austin, Tyler, Sierra and Ashlyn.

• no flash photography...

I have always carried a purse...since jr high. I don't think I could go without it.

I never have much in it. A wallet, if my hair is straight a brush, keys and cell phone, but I have to have a purse.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast