• Only the Lonely

Blog Entries

Question What do you think about Lap bands?

Hi Everyone,

well I wanted to know everyone's opinons about the lap band procedure. why? because I am planning in getting one because I am a overwieght and I have been through the diet yo-yo and I believe this will help me in achieving the weight that I desire. Im doing this more for my health because diabetes and high blood pressure run in my family and I want to be healthy and prevent that and because I work in a dialysis center and i've seen first hand what diabetes and high blood pressure can lead to.
    So feel free to give your two cents and as always I appericate your comments. Have a great day!
    "Your dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway." Walt Disney

[

• no flash photography...

Re: What do you think about Lap bands?

I'm not a fan of any invasive type procedures. I've seen people loose and gain weight after them. when they loose the weight they always seem to look older and drawn....IDK...just not a fan of them.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Don't diss my bonnet

the location of my profile picture is Knott's in 1972, i'm about 10 months old.

as someone who works on a bariatric surgery certified floor of a hospital i can tell you that i personally would do a lap band procedure over the full gastric bypass.

the lap bands that i have seen have had much better recovery's than the gastric bypass patients with not nearly as many complications. and the best thign about the band is that is it reversible (becuase the band can be completely deflated or even removed if needed) whereas the gastric bypass is not.

granted the lap band patients dont' lose the weight as quickly as the gastric bypass patients do, but they also dont' have the long term side effects i see with a lot of bypass patients, such as bowel obstructions, dehydration, and malnutrition.

of course diet change and exercise will always remain the best way to lose weight imho, but if that hasn't worked for you ask your primary for a referral to a bariatric surgeon and talk with them to discuss your options

also if you know anyone in your area that has had either the banding or bypass, get surgeon recommendations from them. word of mouth is really the best way to find the best surgeon for yourself
    Will there be screams when the sun sets,
    -=Is It October Yet?=-

Quote Originally Posted by Tinkermonkey
    elly is the ultimate nerdy girl. But she makes it sexy
    Quote Originally Posted by pratt55
    Elly is adorkable.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

Here's an old thread with some info: I'm Having Gastric Bypass...
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

What Elly said. I had thought about lap band, but I'm not a good candidate because of reflux issues I have. But I would never go for a full bypass. I've seen it work for a lot of people. But even with the lap band, you still have to go through some pretty severe restrictions, as to the amounts of can eat etc. For me, I know if I can't make the lifestyles changes without the surgery, I'm not likely to be able to live with them after so why bother.

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.