Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• formerly PretzelSouls!

Re: Can We Talk Clothes, Please?

I too am on the larger side but every time I've visited Lane Bryant or Torrid - the stuff is too expensive or too big. Stores like Target and Wal-Mart have plus sized sections starting at 1x and up.
    "Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've imagined." -Henry David Thoreau

• Waiting Since 1992

Quote Originally Posted by Wendy_Bird View Post
    How funny... I live on shorts I got FOREVER ago at jcpenny on sale for like $10 a pair. I also live on NY & COMPANY camisols. I LOVE them. They are a little bit of a splurge at around $12-$20 depending on the sale, but I have had them for well over 5 years and the still fit VERY well and the black is not even faded. I also live on my Payless sandels (replaced every 2 years) and my hats!

i am a hat person. I have long hair and wear it up in a bun most of the time. I have a hat I got from target a few years ago and I must wear it 2-3 times a week. I also have a disney hat, a Ralph Lauren Paint hat, and a one other one I wear on a fequent basis.
    See, the thing about hats is that you have to commit to wearing one and I can never commit. I always start out wearing one and then feel funny and hour later and off it comes.

Also, Payless has such cute shoes but I have gigantor feet and at size 11, uhm, none of those shoes are that cute anymore. LOL.

• Waiting Since 1992

Quote Originally Posted by PretzelSouls View Post
    I too am on the larger side but every time I've visited Lane Bryant or Torrid - the stuff is too expensive or too big. Stores like Target and Wal-Mart have plus sized sections starting at 1x and up.
    Dude, LB is just out of control. Their blouses are like 40-50bucks easily. It's crazy. I have few fancy blouses from there and my jeans from there but I stay away or else I'd be broke!
    Last edited by SaraNoH; 06-04-2009 at 08:47 AM. Reason: Can I NOT mispell the word "there"?

• A Weather Eye Open

For summer (and really year round) I love to get dresses. Cottony sun dresses!
    When I shop, I head straight for Forever 21. They have great prices on dresses, and really on everything, and their stock changes so much that even if you don't find what you were specifically looking for, you can go the next week and it will be like a whole new store!
    Target is great too. For pretty much everything. They always have something or other that I like.
    For summer, I love to get flow-y tops, like sheer tops or voluminous tops. I wear with a cami or tank underneath, but they are still loose and thin enough to be cool and breezy. And they don't make me look or feel as naked as a plain old tank.
    Also, bermuda length colored denim shorts are great. I have a white pair from The Gap, and they don't even get see-though because it's a nice thick denim, but they are still cool because they're shorts.
    For hats, start with specific hats, I think. I really want a wide brim floppy hat, maybe in white, which is really a beach hat, but you can wear it all summer outdoors, to BBQs or to Disneyland, and looks cute with big sunglasses especially. My scalp always gets sunburned on hot days, so I really need a shady hat!
    Once you have a hat or two and you know when and where to wear them, I suspect it will get easier to just wear them on an everyday basis. I love berets, floppy knit or felt, but those are more winter hats. Don't know about summer hats much!
    Shoes: I pretty much live in sandals, flips, or ballet flats in the summer (peep toe especially if I've painted my nails!). I don't wear tennies unless I absolutely have to, not even to Disneyland! Keeping my feet cool is the number 1 priority, and Target has some really squishy thick rubber flips that are as comfortable as any sneaker.
    For evenings, I always get really cold, especially in CA. And even in the day, the AC is always up too high indoors! So I carry a cardigan with me. They're not too bulky light a sweatshirt; they even roll up and fit in my bigger purses.
    I am also becoming a fan of the A-line (or circle) skirt and top combo: I like to wear them up at my waist, kind of 50's style, with a belt on top. I need to get a white cotton buttonup with short sleeves to tuck in, but a wide strap tank would look good too I think. Wearing a skirt with a lot of fabric like that keeps ones legs (shh, and nether-regions even) very cool. In a simple cotton cloth, maybe with a big pattern, they are very basic and washable, so they don't look too dressy. Length should be about to the knees - I've seen some cute shorter wide skirts on girls at my school, but even a bit past the knees still looks classic and keeps you cool!

All this talk about summer wardrobes makes me want to get sewing! Haha. If I want a dress or skirt or top and can't find one I have in mind, I'll just sew it. I've got a big "to make" list right now!
    "And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by" (John Masefield)

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • It's knittingknurse now.

Blog Entries

Quick update: I went to Old Navy when they were having the $1 flip flop sale. OMG! An hour wait and there were no cute colors! I ended up getting a really cute pair at Target (I have size 11 shoe too) that are leather and look cute but still dressy enough I could pair them with dressier clothes and it works (I wore them with a professional work outfit and they worked nicely).

Right now I'm living out of Old Navy shorts and layered tanks with those flip flops of my Birk work clogs. I'm bigger too but I'm noticing I'm developing muscles so it doesn't look that horrible.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

I need to get some "dressy" flip-flops so I don't always look like I'm coming home from getting a pedicure.

• A Weather Eye Open

Quote Originally Posted by aimster View Post
    I need to get some "dressy" flip-flops so I don't always look like I'm coming home from getting a pedicure.
    Look for jeweled or beaded sandals that are a little more elaborate than flippies, but the same basic idea. Everytime I'm tempted to wear flips somewhere I'm supposed to look nice, I think about what Stacy and Clinton would say! Haha.

Do you like flats? My mom is all about comfort, especially in shoes, but I turned her on to flats, and now she swears by the Steve Madden ones (she buys them on clearance at the website). And she wears them both casually and to dressy events, even when she goes to play the organ for weddings at church (well, she wears her special organ shoes to actually play). She'd tell you to get bright red, because every girl needs a pair of ruby slippers. But they really go everywhere, from the DLR to a night out to work.
    "And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by" (John Masefield)

• disney is love!!

i think should go to this website forever21.com
    they have really cute stuff i get some of my wardrobe from there

they have really cute decorative tanks specially that are like 10 bucks
    the tanks that are really in are are kinda form fitting up top and flowy on the bottom

denim shorts with holes or distress look in them are really cute

gladiator sandals are really in still but the color i would get of them would be
    dark tan,silver, or gold your could get those at payless shoes

also get a aviator sunglasses

hope it helps out with some ideas for you!!

Quote Originally Posted by twobluestripes View Post
    Look for jeweled or beaded sandals that are a little more elaborate than flippies, but the same basic idea. Everytime I'm tempted to wear flips somewhere I'm supposed to look nice, I think about what Stacy and Clinton would say! Haha.

Do you like flats? My mom is all about comfort, especially in shoes, but I turned her on to flats, and now she swears by the Steve Madden ones (she buys them on clearance at the website). And she wears them both casually and to dressy events, even when she goes to play the organ for weddings at church (well, she wears her special organ shoes to actually play). She'd tell you to get bright red, because every girl needs a pair of ruby slippers. But they really go everywhere, from the DLR to a night out to work.
    I have several pairs of flats, but in the summer I like to show off my pedicures and let my toes breathe. I'm honestly a shoe whore. I currently have 40-50 pairs of shoes in my closet... most of them cute heels (mostly black, but a few brown, plus some gold & silver), a few pairs of sneakers, some really cute flats and a couple pairs of kick-*** boots. I pretty much live in heels unless I'm going to be doing a lot of walking.

Quote Originally Posted by tinkbaby182 View Post

the tanks that are really in are are kinda form fitting up top and flowy on the bottom
    I hate Forever 21. The quality of their clothes is shoddy at best. I've bought clothes there that have fallen apart after 2 washes. If you want to go with a store like that, go with Charlotte Russe.

• disney is love!!

ok well i think forever21 has more variety then Charlotte Russe.
    they have basic stuff that are cheap and thats what she is looking for
    it is the same quality as target,wal-mart,old navy,and Charlotte Russe

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • It's knittingknurse now.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by aimster View Post
    Women's Mossimo Supply Co. Willa Ring Sandals - Tan : Target
    These are what I'm wearing. I like them. I've gotten compliments. And they passed for a work meeting where I was told "No jeans! Business attire!" Wore them with a black/white print skirt, white tank, and a red cardigan and I was perfectly fine. Hope that helps.

• Waiting Since 1992

Quote Originally Posted by knittingknerd View Post
    These are what I'm wearing. I like them. I've gotten compliments. And they passed for a work meeting where I was told "No jeans! Business attire!" Wore them with a black/white print skirt, white tank, and a red cardigan and I was perfectly fine. Hope that helps.
    Love those. Target rocks.

Also, I heard F21 is having plus size clothes on-line and in stores. So for all us larger ladies, that might be a good choice.

• Waiting Since 1992

denim shorts with holes or distress look in them are really cute

gladiator sandals are really in still but the color i would get of them would be
    dark tan,silver, or gold your could get those at payless shoes

also get a aviator sunglasses

hope it helps out with some ideas for you!!
    Thanks!

Also, I actually splurged a few years ago on a pretty pricey pair of Marc Jacobs aviators and I still own them and frankly, they save my outfits sometimes. I mean, I can wear them with the cheapest of clothes and still feel put together. Best glasses I ever bought! So I agree!

• Waiting Since 1992

Quote Originally Posted by twobluestripes View Post
    For hats, start with specific hats, I think. I really want a wide brim floppy hat, maybe in white, which is really a beach hat, but you can wear it all summer outdoors, to BBQs or to Disneyland, and looks cute with big sunglasses especially. My scalp always gets sunburned on hot days, so I really need a shady hat!
    Once you have a hat or two and you know when and where to wear them, I suspect it will get easier to just wear them on an everyday basis. I love berets, floppy knit or felt, but those are more winter hats. Don't know about summer hats much!
    I like your hat philosophy! I own the exact hat you seem to be describing(floppy, wide-brimmed) and I got it at JCrew. It was under 40 and really really well made. But.....I don't wear it. It's not white, but natural beige or whatever. My head is not on the JCrew sizing chart, lol, unfortch so it's kinda tight. Anyway, you may want to check there. Who knows? You may find the one you are looking for!

***Sorry for so many multiple quotes, I kept finding stuff after I posted. My bad.***

Quote Originally Posted by knittingknerd View Post
    Those are cute! Do they come in black? If they come in black I am sold, depending on how they fit because I have skinny feet and sometimes shoes like that feel way too big on me.

ok well i think forever21 has more variety then Charlotte Russe.
    they have basic stuff that are cheap and thats what she is looking for
    it is the same quality as target,wal-mart,old navy,and Charlotte Russe
    I think Target & Old Navy has better quality stuff than the other stores. I lived in Mossimo brand jeans from Target for several years until they changed the cut just enough they didn't fit me right anymore. Now I wear Elle brand jeans, which are a Kohl's exclusive. But I stock up on alot of the basics like tanks for layering and t-shirts at Target & Old Navy. I've gotten some cute, I don't want to say "frilly", but "feminine" tops at Kohl's. Most tops I own I can wear with either jeans or dress pants. Makes the wardrobe more versatile.

If you lived in Florida, I would've suggested checking out Bealls. They have some cute stuff sometimes. I'm wearing a pair of kick-a$$ black fake croc print heels I got there right now with some dark wash jeans and a cute red & black kind of abstract rose print, cowel neck top & a black cardigan (because they blast the A/C here at work). One of my favorite outfits right now. Wishing I had bought 2 of these tops when I did because this one is getting those little nubbies on it.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast