Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Disappearing/Reappearing

Whats a good box hair color?

I've decided I want to dye my hair a really light brown....right now, it's a dark blonde. Does anyone have a box hair color they prefer? One that will give good results and not fade or change colors?

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

Re: Whats a good box hair color?

I buy what is on sale nad have had no problems with any. Don't get one for gray coverage.
    I have heard bad things about natural instincts, so I don't buy them.
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• Minion

Blog Entries

depends on what you need.

The thing about herbal essences and natural instincts is that ther are Demi, not supposed to last. However it gives great life to your hair for a few weeks.

The Loriel 2 in one with highlights is nice but it takes a lot of work and is expensive.
    Nice and Easy is cheap, but i wouldn't use it again

if you need a little gray coverage or you want something with serious hold, go with preference. it also doesn't smell too bad.

I havn't tried the 10 minute express brands. generally to get that result the chemicals are stronger and it's not worth the speed to me.

All in all, go with Prefrence, it's a good brand all around on price, smell, color choices and it's hang time.

• My cuties!

I like Garnier Nutrisse. It definitely smells the best.

• no flash photography...

I used preference and it was fine. The first time was better than the second, but the second time it basically bleached my hair to a light light blond. So, if you're not bleaching your hair it should be fine.

• no flash photography...

Quote Originally Posted by twinmom View Post
    I like Garnier Nutrisse. It definitely smells the best.
    I tried that the first time and it really dried my hair out. Preference made it better.

I think Preference is what I use now. LOL. So, I can just stick with it.

I have the weirdest hair in the world....my husband loves my hair brunette, but, so far...every time I dye it...the color washes out after about a week, and goes back blonde. I even had my cousin, who is a hairdresser, professionally dye it. Still, after a week...it goes back blonde. She couldn't figure out why it did that.

So, since I just touched it up blonde last night. I'm gonna wait till next weekend and dye it then. Thanks guys!!!

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

I've been using box color on and off for almost 20 years and I have a few favorites...

I currently use Revlon ColorSilk. Costs $2.99 at Target and I've never had issues with it. Good grey coverage too.

Clairol Nice N' Easy is decent and covers greys good. Nice natural color.

I like L'Oreal's Feria brand a lot too. I used to use their Midnight Ruby shade (auburn black). My hair had this awesome funky purple hue in the sun.

I use the Revlon Colorsilk for the blonde I am now (thought it was Preference)....but, after about two weeks...it turns REALLY brassy.

So, I've had it and I'm going back brunette. Which will thrill my husband. he loves me with brown hair. I'm not going to tell him I'm doing it, it will be a surprise when he gets off the plane.

I bought Preference in Light Amber Brown. I want a little red hue to liven up the brown. I'm just hoping it doesn't turn bright red, since I already have so much red in my natural hair. But, since it's been dyed blonde recently...it shouldn't bother it.

I last dyed it friday night...will wait till about wednesday to do it brown. I know you're supposed to wait two weeks...but, I don't have that much time, and I've dyed it the day after with no problems.

I'll let you know how it turns out.

Two weeks? I once waited 24 hours before changing my hair color because I didn't like how one color turned out.... and no issues.

I'm actually amazed my hair is in such good condition despite the torture I've put it through nearly 30 years of perms/coloring.

that's what I'm saying! I figure...it's a box color...so, it's not as harsh as the stuff you get at Sally's Beauty Supply...or get done at a hair salon. I've done the same thing. In fact, I've dyed my hair three times in one week. I am anxious to see the results. Will probably do it tomorrow.

•   
    • Super Hero

Whats a good box hair color?

**snicker**

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • It's knittingknurse now.

Blog Entries

I had to swear never to dye my hair with a box again to one colorist... She gave me this whole rant on how bad it is and how it'll cost me in the long run. I used to use Nutrisse (sp?). I may color my hair this weekend though, add some blonde.

Quote Originally Posted by Wanda Woman View Post
    **snicker**
    shut up! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by knittingknerd View Post
    I had to swear never to dye my hair with a box again to one colorist... She gave me this whole rant on how bad it is and how it'll cost me in the long run. I used to use Nutrisse (sp?). I may color my hair this weekend though, add some blonde.

Oh, it probably is bad....but, like I said...i figure, it can't be as bad as what the hair colorists use. It's not as strong. And I am SO paranoid about hair stylists. In the 29 years I have spent on this earth...there's only been two that haven't completely screwed up my hair. I have a knack for finding horrible stylists. So, I color my own hair..and only get it cut about once a year. And even then, I have to wait till I can talk myself into it. I cut the dead ends off myself.

Stitchy, I once had a stylist who burned me with a curling iron. Not kidding. It was the late 80's/early 90's when I was in high school. I had bangs that I liked to slightly curl under w/ a big barrel iron. Well, most stylists that have done me (omgfilth!), know I'll flinch so they'd put a comb between me and the iron so I didn't get burned. This chick didn't... and the iron hit my forehead. I yelped... and she didn't let go! I had a big 'ole welt on my forehead as a result. My mom was NOT happy. The next day, I still had a good-sized mark on my forehead, so my mom took me back to the salon and showed the owner what happened. We'd been regulars at this salon for around 10 years at that time and the owner was astonished. She profusely apologized and refunded my mom for my haircut. My mom didn't care about that. We wanted an apology from the stylist.... which we never got. Never let that girl touch a hair on my head again. I found a much better stylist there that was also a nail tech (she'd do my nails, then do my hair while the polish dried).

I have to find a new stylist now down here as my current one moved out of state. GBut I'm growing out my hair right now. My last cut was 6 months ago.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast