• Minion

Bad Customer Service Experiences - Hey, Even Some Good Ones Too! (DISNEY EXCLUDED!!)

Ok, first off, mind the thread title there......

I had asked a few certain people on here, and was told that a thread about bad service at the Disney parks is usually advised against on here. Mainly because there are cast members that are Micechatters on here, and among other reasons I'm not going to get into. So this thread is EXCLUDING any bad experiences inside any Disney park. And mainly focused on bad experiences outside the parks. So if you got poor service at another theme park, or at a Wal Mart, Target, a Costco, or a grocery store or a restaurant, or any other non-Disney place, feel free to rant or vent, or just share your experience.

But also as the threat title entails, feel free to also share your really good experiences too. Like if you got really good service at a restaurant, and you left the waiter/waitress a really good tip, tell us why.

Just for the sake of our Disney cast member friends on here, leave the Disney experiences out of it.

But I'm gonna start because I've got some ventin to do.

Warning! Incoming Rant Alert!!!

Last Thursday, on July 2nd, Becka, Aiden, and I went to the Ruby's diner in Fullerton on the corner of Orangethorpe and Harbor, not too far from Disneyland. Lately, I've gotten to love their milkshakes there, they're awesomely delicious. The best part, is that they not only give it to you in one of those tall milkshake glasses, but they also give you the tin glass they used to mix it in, which still has ice cream in it, and is ICE cold, and is halfway full. But after the POOR service we received, twice within 7 days, no shake is worth this service I'm about to describe.

So on the 2nd, we went in and had ordered our food. One of the waiters brings our food, (mine and Becka's.) But didn't bring Aidens. They had neglected to cook it. And by this time, Aiden was already throwing temper tantrums (he hadn't taken a nap that day) and when he didn't get his food, his tantrum gotten worse. Now just before they brought the food, I had taken him to the car to try to calm him down. I brought him back, the food was there except Aidens, and his attitude got even worse. We walked out, getting our food to go, but without any milkshakes which was the purpose of us going, and that was that.

Annnnnnnd then there was tonight, July 8th, where the 3 of us went to the same location. We were immediately greeted by the hostess and taken to our seats, but she neglected to grab a kids menu. Which my wife had to get back up to get him one from the hostess. Aiden was being a lil more behaved this time around. But we sat there for a couple of minutes, and no one came. Usually, after about 2 to 3 minutes, (and this is at any restaurant) a waitress or waiter comes to the table, welcomes you and takes your order for drinks, or your full order if you're ready. Not a single person came to the table. And it's not like they were short staffed. There were others, plenty of others, that were around doing nothing. We sat there for like SEVEN MINUTES without a single person coming by to say even a word like it will be a few minutes. At the 5 minute mark, I looked at Becka, who was also getting agitated, and said "Want to wait like two minutes, and then just leave if no one comes?!" and her answer was yes. I turned on the stopwatch on my cellphone and started counting the time. Two minutes came and went, and we got up to leave. It was at this point when the manager Buddy started approaching us asking if we had been helped yet. (who was talking to other customers casually nearby, btw) We both said we had been sitting there for the last 7 minutes and no one has come, we were being ignored, and we were leaving. The manager tried to apologize, but we weren't having it. This was around 7:30 and we ended up having dinner an hour later at IHOP near Disneyland at Katella & Harbor. There, we waited like 5 minutes just to get seated!! Where we were like 1 group out of like 6 or 7 separate groups who were waiting to get seated. But finally we got seated, and then our evening went smoother from there.

But back on the Ruby's thing. When we got home, I went online and sent in a formal complaint to the restaurant's website. It is rediculous that the same restaurant would give out pathetic quality service TWICE within one week. I basically told them we're not eating at a Rubys again, and that they've lost our business. We'll take it to other places where customers are respected, not ignored. And that being in customer service for most of my job life, I know that a company, regardless of industry, makes it's best business on word of mouth advertising. If a person receives good service from a company, they're more likely to tell their friends and family about it. If they receive poor service, they're HIGHLY likely to tell their friends and family about it, telling them not to go there. Think about it. If you had a good waitress at a restaurant somewhere, how likely are you going to tell others about it? Not likely, unless it was REALLY good. Cause eventually, you'll forget about it. But the bad ones stand out, cause they make you mad about it. So you tell everyone you know. So hence, I'm on here, venting and telling others not to go to the Ruby's in Fullerton.

That's enough venting for now. Remember though, keep it Disney free!
    Last edited by AidensDaddy; 07-09-2009 at 12:04 AM.

• A Weather Eye Open

Re: Bad Customer Service Experiences - Hey, Even Some Good Ones Too! (DISNEY EXCLUDED

i wanted to share some good customer service i've had lately, to recommend this company to others who might need their services.

a while back, one of my harddrives failed (it was the backup drive inside one of my computers, and as luck would have it, we were transferring files and erased the primary drive before we realized that the backup had failed!

well, the drive had all of my photos from since i've own digital cameras (like 9th grade or so), plus thousands of music files. i didn't need the drive recovered right away, so i vowed to shop around for data recovery and get it restored for a good price within the semester.

the first place i went was geek squad at best buy, because i honestly didn't know what was wrong with the drive or where else to go. the geek squad members were very nice, but after sending it clear across the country, they told me that my drive needed a "clean room" for new parts, and quoted me a price over 1000 bucks! i was stunned. i paid them 60 for the diagnosis and told them no thanks, i'll shop around. the respresentative who handled my case told me that the price was very competitive and that i would not find a better price.

well, of course i did! it just took a lot of googling. i finally settled on gillware.com. i used their online quote thingy, and it quoted me about 675. right after, they called me on my cell phone to ask if i had any questions, and also sent me a follow up email! i told them that being a student with only a work study job, i really could afford even that, and they found some student discounts to bring my quote down to 550.
    at that point my semester workload got extremely stressful, and i forgot about my drive for a while. but a few months later, when i was out of school, i gave them an email to see if my quote still held! they were very nice and said of course. i sent them in my drive, and an extenal drive for them to put the files one, and they called me back a few weeks later with the good news: it looked like a good recovery, and all of my files were found and most likely functional. i didn't have to pay a penny until they sent me a list of the files they located on the drive; if they weren't able to find what i needed, i wouldn't have had to pay for anything.
    i was really very pleased with all the people i emailed and spoke to on the phone. they were really very timely, and always direct and polite. god forbid any of your should lose important files on a failed harddrive, but if you do, you should call gillware!
    "And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by" (John Masefield)

Re: Bad Customer Service Experiences - Hey, Even Some Good Ones Too! (DISNEY EXCLUDED

Yeah, I avoid Geek Squad at any cost. Their prices are so not competitive, as I've found them to be the most expensive "help" to be used.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyDishwasher View Post
    Yeah, I avoid Geek Squad at any cost. Their prices are so not competitive, as I've found them to be the most expensive "help" to be used.
    A couple of weeks ago, we got me a Dell Notebook laptop and within the first couple of hours, the thing crashed and froze on me like 6 or 7 times. So we took it back the next day. Come to find out, it was restored before it could be sold, so all the geek squad guys had their hands on it. So basically, it wasn't fresh out of the box and untouched. We wanted a different one, but they weren't willing to budge much, and were going to charge us a restock fee. Then we told them we are willing to exchange it for a different laptop, and pay the difference if necessary. I wasn't wanting an HP, but I found this one that I'm on, complete with a built in webcam, a 10 key, voice recognition software, and media software on it. It was completely untouched and has worked great. Although, IE 8 can be a bit sluggish at times.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

^^Switch to Firefox. It's a million times better than IE.

• A Weather Eye Open

i agree, ditch the IE for good! i disabled mine in the system tools.

• Minion

Tempted. Then I have to find all my favorites again!

• A Weather Eye Open

Quote Originally Posted by AidensDaddy View Post
    Tempted. Then I have to find all my favorites again!
    Firefox will import them for you! I even take my favorites from computer to computer easily with firefox.

• Disappearing/Reappearing

I agree. Firefox....forever!!! Mwhahahahahaha

• Minion

I'll look into it.

Now back to your regularly scheduled programming, already in progress.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyDishwasher View Post
    True that. My mom's computer was having major problems, and normally, my dad deals with this stuff, he's good at it, but he was deployed. So we took it to geek squad. At first they said it was the fan, so just replace it (duh, we knew it was the fan, but it was the microprocessor fan..so we knew that was important), $90 just for saying that. So we spent the money to have further testing done, just in case. The people seemed and talked like they had no clue what was what or how to run what. In the end, the result was "we don't know" and to simply transfer her files to another computer and keep hers off until further notice.
    My dad came home saturday and looked at it. Yep, it was the microprocessor itself and the port it was hooked up to. The port went bad, causing the fan to go bad.

Geek squad was no help whatsoever. over $100 for the answer "I don't know".
    Press today is so concerned with cool vs. not cool that they're starting to forget good vs. bad. I'm not sure I'll ever be "cool", but I will always tirelessly strive to be "great". - Josh Groban

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

I do my best to make our customers happy, but let me add sometimes they are just rude and disgusting. Let me just say I found a nasty snot rag on a shelf that I had to throw away. People, throw your rags away! Show some manners and courtesy!

But I'm a patient and understanding guy. So rarely do I ever complain to customer service reps. But I do like Amazon's customer service during the day, when the phone calls get connected to American's. Atleast when I called them during the days, I was quickly transferred to american's.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Wrassler View Post
    I do my best to make our customers happy, but let me add sometimes they are just rude and disgusting. Let me just say I found a nasty snot rag on a shelf that I had to throw away. People, throw your rags away! Show some manners and courtesy!
    I am a hostess, so I try to be charming and gracious to customers when they come in, but when you wear a short kilt as part of your uniform, you are asking for the lewd comments from sober as well as drunk guys. Most of the time it's the old men who ask "so do you ladies wear anything under your skirts?". I have tried to answer polite, but now I just roll my eyes and walk away.
    There are so many things I want to say when they ask that. I mean, come on, this is a public place of business, there are things called HEALTH CODES. This is now why i wear long-ish bike shorts instead of the ones issued with the uniform. To keep creeps away.
    Press today is so concerned with cool vs. not cool that they're starting to forget good vs. bad. I'm not sure I'll ever be "cool", but I will always tirelessly strive to be "great". - Josh Groban

• Waiting Since 1992

In regards to all the computer talk, ditch the DELL. UGH, nothing but trouble since I bought mine (my battery was almost recalled for you know EXPLODING ON PEOPLE. Can you believe that??) two years ago. The battery is dead, the AC adaptor works but the wires are coming loose. It's pathetic. Let's all ditch our Dells and gets Macs!

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

I will never use Geek Squad. If I have computer issues... if I can't figure it out myself, I ask my friends who are tech savvy or I ask the IT guy at my job.