Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Faith Trust & Pixie Dust!

Question Curly Hair Questions...

Hey Girls,
    This more applies to girls who have curly hair, but if you know someone who has curly hair feel free to help out.
    I have naturally curly hair *not super tight curls, but not wavy hair, it's right in the middle* but due to a bad hair cut I have been needing to straighten my hair to make it look good. It's starting to grow out again and I need to get it cut again, but my question is about products that ladies use for their curly hair. I have yet to find one that I love and I switch around to different products. Is there anything out there that people really love? Or that works really well to define curls and keep frizz to a min.? Any suggestions would be great! Thanks!!!

Here is what my hair looked like last summer...hope this helps give you an idea of what my hair is like and what I'm looking for. If better pictures would help I can find some more.

Wow...I've been gone a long time...but I'm glad to be back!!

Running in the Disneyland Half Marathon this year...first one ever!!! So excited!

• Former Loiterer

Re: Curly Hair Questions...

I so feel you!

My hair is much curlier than yours, but I find that Aussie's moisturizing shampoo and conditioner go a long way toward taking out frizz and making my hair more manageable. Also, when you get your hair cut, make sure that the person who is cutting your hair has worked with curly hair and is aware that your hair is curly before they start cutting. And ask them to thin out some of your hair to avoid the dreaded "pyramid of curl."

As far as products go, avoid anything alcohol based and don't let your hair towel dry too much. I typically use mousse instead of gel because I don't like crunchy hair. As far as what I use, it's cheap old Suave mousse for curly hair and 8 hold hair spray. I work it in when it's wet, brush it through, let it dry naturally for a minute or two while I do my makeup, then blow dry it upside down with a diffuser set on medium heat/high wind.

Part of the "curse" of curly hair is just having to experiment with it over and over until you find what works for your hair. Having said that, I wear my hair straightened on a regular basis just for convenience sake.

Good luck! And just remember, all the girls with straight hair wish they could have your curly hair!
    All I needed to know in life, I learned at MiceChat.
    And kindergarten.

Oh, I know. I have accepted my curly hair and love it!
    The last person who cut my hair used a razor/comb thing to give me layers (which I asked for because it does help the curls lay nice and not give me the "pyramid") but it ended up making the curls freak out and not want to curl, just sort of hang there.
    Thanks for the advice. I have used SunSilk, and Suave before and liked them both.

Running in the Disneyland Half Marathon this year...first one ever!!! So excited!

• Former Loiterer

The last few cuts I've had, the hairstylist cut the ends on a bias. I think it sort of keeps the curl in line by giving it natural twisting boarders, per se.
    All I needed to know in life, I learned at MiceChat.
    And kindergarten.

• My cuties!

I have paid good money in the past to get curls like you have. Your hair is beautiful and I am totally jealous!

• no flash photography...

I have curly hair too. I have to switch around hair products. One that works great for over a year all of a sudden will not work anymore. At the moment I had to switch to pantene and I use garnier cram sculpting gel to control any frizzies. I live in the dry heat, so it works great here. when I go down to Anaheim (valley areas) I can not use it. the humidity weighs it down and makes it feel sticky. I have not found anything to work in humidity yet. It's pony tail days when I go to the valleys.

I pretty much have the same hair style you do when I leave it curly and down.

Twinmom - I have paid good money for a perm in the past also. When it's permed the curls are more manageable...my naturally curly hair has a mind of it's own.

• Mrs. J. Depp

I also have curly hair. Right in between, just like you Sassytink. Lately I have been using water and sea salt in a spray bottle for the whole beach waves thing, which works well if you don't mind the dirty feel to your hair. The only thing is it dries the heck out of my hair and makes it knot up underneath. So I just started using Biosilk on my wet hair right out of the shower, and then again after my hair has dried a little. All the while scrunching lightly. Using the Biosilk after the hair has dried a bit makes the frizzies go away. Believe me, my hair is uber frizzy and I'm shocked that even in this humid weather there is no trace of frizz.

Facebook me!
    Join in the Disney fun at MyVMK!

Oh, ladies, you MUST try Lush's Curly-Wurly. It has been the best shampoo I ever tried for my in-between curly/wavy hair. It has the consistency of German Chocolate cake frosting (coconut included) but it has done wonders to reduce frizz and poofiness.

You can find it at lushusa.com or at any Lush store.

I also second the Aussie Moist recommendation. That is my conditioner of choice!

• sleepy lagoon

I have naturally wavy/curly hair and the best products I have found are Tresemme's Curl Mousse to maintain curl (Awesome!!) and a touch of Biosilk to get rid of the frizziness. Tresemme is cheap, but it works great (another plus)!! (I also like their 24 Volume Mousse (don't forget the Biosilk!!) when I straighten my hair. It takes a little getting used to, but it really does give you volume!!)

I have curly hair, as do all of my girls. You MUST MUST MUST read "Curly Girl" You can get it off Amazon for cheap.
    I have spent 80 days of my life at Disneyland.

Quote Originally Posted by HeyThere View Post
    I have curly hair, as do all of my girls. You MUST MUST MUST read "Curly Girl" You can get it off Amazon for cheap.
    I have that book, and have tried it, but I don't think I was doing everything right because my hair started to feel really greasy, it curled nice, but not any better than what it is now. It's a good read though.

Quote Originally Posted by twinmom View Post
    I have paid good money in the past to get curls like you have. Your hair is beautiful and I am totally jealous!
    Awwww, thanks. I used to HATE my curly hair because I didn't know how to handle it and for about 5 years it was always in a pony-tail! It was rare to see it down. Now I've embraced the curl and love it, mostly because I can shower, scrunch, and go. (not lately, but you get the idea)

Thanks for the advice. I have used Pantine before and like that. I also use Tresemme when I straighten my hair, they have a great heat spray that helps it not feel so fried.

Is there anyplace else to get the curly/wurly shampoo other than online or the Lush stores?

• Minion

My hair is much curlier. I have tried many different conditoners and shampoos, some expensive and some non expensive. I have honestly found the non expensive to work best. Thats my opinion. I use to use Suave all the time but V05 makes it a lot easier to brush through my hair after getting out of the shower!!!! Again its really cheap but it works for me.

Products to style my hair, I use Suave Moose 7 and Suave Hair Spray 8,(those numbers determined strong holds, or regular hold on styles) and Aussie spray in conditioner. I also use a hair defueser to style my hair.

Quote Originally Posted by Bibbidi-Bobbidi-Bo View Post
    My hair is much curlier. I have tried many different conditoners and shampoos, some expensive and some non expensive. I have honestly found the non expensive to work best. Thats my opinion. I use to use Suave all the time but V05 makes it a lot easier to brush through my hair after getting out of the shower!!!! Again its really cheap but it works for me.

Products to style my hair, I use Suave Moose 7 and Suave Hair Spray 8,(those numbers determined strong holds, or regular hold on styles) and Aussie spray in conditioner. I also use a hair defueser to style my hair.
    Thanks for the advice. Any specific type of VO5? I think I have used the Suave hair spray before and like it, but it left my hair a little crunchy and I haven't been able to find it since college.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by sassy*tink View Post
    Thanks for the advice. Any specific type of VO5? I think I have used the Suave hair spray before and like it, but it left my hair a little crunchy and I haven't been able to find it since college.
    The Suave products have different numbers on the front of the bottles (7-10)... I use 7 for the suave moose, and 8 for the suave hair spray. anything higher than 8 makes my hair crunchy too and i hate it! V05 EXTRA BODY volumizing conditioner, and the V05 shampoo. Again their cheap but they seem to work better than the expensive stuff. from experience im speaking...

Quote Originally Posted by Bibbidi-Bobbidi-Bo View Post
    The Suave products have different numbers on the front of the bottles (7-10)... I use 7 for the suave moose, and 8 for the suave hair spray. anything higher than 8 makes my hair crunchy too and i hate it! V05 EXTRA BODY volumizing conditioner, and the V05 shampoo. Again their cheap but they seem to work better than the expensive stuff. from experience im speaking...
    I've always been afraid to try volumizing shampoos or conditioners because my hair is pretty thick and I feel like it doesn't need any more volume than it already has. But I will have to look into the V05 line and see what else they have.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast