Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• I'm your huckleberry.

Question Curly Girls... help please!

I know there have got to be some other curly-haired ladies on this board!

I'm looking for a GOOD stylist/salon that knows how to take care of curly hair. Someplace that will actually believe me when I tell them that when my hair dries its 5-7 inches shorter than when its wet. Someplace that understands that you do NOT layer curly hair. Someplace that won't blow dry my hair when they're done cutting... I LIKE it curly.

I am in desperate need of a cut, but as you can probably gather, I have had some icky experiences at a lot of salons. You ask if they know how to style curly hair, and they always say yes.... but then treat it just like straight hair.

HELP! Do any of you have a stylist or a salon that does a great job on your curly hair?

Thanks!!

• Banned User

Re: Curly Girls... help please!

Oye I hear ya!!!
    One time a lady cut my hair and I told her 1 inch, crap I had no hair left!! Yes, we have curly hair, it shrinks to nothing when dry and I hate to ever have any one touch it as it looks worse afterwards!!
    I have one style now, short as I am tired of it getting messed badly. I even trim my own some times to safe the hassles. I feel youer pain !!

• I'm your huckleberry.

Maybe I'll have to cut it myself like you HM... I dunno. I've left it alone for so long, my hair is now down to my waist (when its dry). That's just TOO long, I can't take it!

• Banned User

Lucky you! there is so much you could do with it, put it up, french braids, oh I would kill for long hair! My grand mother had hair to her butt and she put it up every day, I miss her. I can not grow my hair, its to curly and it stops at a certain length. After all these years it is starting to straighten out on top, but I have been blow drying it for many years straight. Hope you find some good books on curly hair, that may help with a nice style.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Is HOME.

I have curly hair, but I am lucky- it goes straight very easily and there isn't a whole lot of difference between dry and wet and I usually do have it layered.

When I want it curly after a cut, I usually ask them to put in some product and leave it damp. And when you are telling them how much to cut off, just tell them exactly how much you want off- even bring a ruler that they can use, I have done that- and tell them you want a hand mirror so you can see exactly how much they are cutting off so you are sure.

As far as recommending a salon, that is pretty hard unless someone here with your same hair issues lives close to you and has direct experience with someone good. I think you are stuck with having to give very explicit directions to the stylist and hope you find someone good that you can stick with.
    “In a world filled with hate, we must still dare to hope. In a world filled with anger, we must still dare to comfort. In a world filled with despair, we must still dare to dream. And in a world filled with distrust, we must still dare to believe.” -Michael Jackson

• I'm your huckleberry.

Quote Originally Posted by TinkPink
    As far as recommending a salon, that is pretty hard unless someone here with your same hair issues lives close to you and has direct experience with someone good. I think you are stuck with having to give very explicit directions to the stylist and hope you find someone good that you can stick with.

That's kind what I'm looking for, someone who does have direct experience with someone good. I live pretty centrally in SoCal, and would be okay with anyone from North Hollywood to San Diego. I figure there must be someone in LA or Orange county!

• Circle of Ancients

I have the straightest hair in the whole world as do all of my family members so I have no personal experience with curly hair other than the time I got a hideous perm and looked like a poodle.

But I do know from my friends with curly hair that the longer they can grow it the better and some of them even get perms to enhance the curliness and make the curls a little more controlled.

I hope you're able to find a good hairdresser who knows what she's doing! I know two great ones in San Ramon and two great ones in Santa Cruz but those locations are probably too far for you.

• Gay Man

My stylist, Paul, is the absolute best. I've used him for years. He does wonders for my not excessivly curly hair. I end up with bouncy, controlled curls that are a breeeze to take care of. He also does my color and does a great job. He's not cheap, but he's worth it. Paul also does housecalls on PJ Harvy, Vincent Gallo and Anthony Kledes. You can get a housecall too but it's more expensive. He's a Carlton Hair Thursday - Monday at (714) 979-1635.

• I'm your huckleberry.

Quote Originally Posted by Not Afraid
    My stylist, Paul, is the absolute best. I've used him for years. He does wonders for my not excessivly curly hair. I end up with bouncy, controlled curls that are a breeeze to take care of. He also does my color and does a great job. He's not cheap, but he's worth it. Paul also does housecalls on PJ Harvy, Vincent Gallo and Anthony Kledes. You can get a housecall too but it's more expensive. He's a Carlton Hair Thursday - Monday at (714) 979-1635.

Hooray! I'll check him out after payday! Thank you thank you!

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

Good luck.
    i'm still searching for one who will do my bangs correctly!
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• I'm your huckleberry.

Quote Originally Posted by NeverNeverland
    Good luck.
    i'm still searching for one who will do my bangs correctly!
    I gave up and am growing them out. They're almost long enough to not be irritiating.

• pronounced, Casey Jr. 1

Red Face Re: Curly Girls... help please!

i have curly hair but i dont go and get my hair cut, after i wash my hair I just get it and cut it myself, sometimes i go crazy and cut it short and other times i just try to cut my ends. that's bad i know i shouldnt do that, but I just hate going to some place and having them do it.

Oh I hear ya! I've got long, dark naturally curly hair. I swear it stops growing at a certain point, but no one believes me. I've been to a salon a grand total of 3 times in my entire life. I've even had one stylist look me in the face and tell me "I can't do curly hair." WTF Did you go to school for? I wish I had gotten the name of the lady who did my hair for a high school fashion show. She had curls and knew what to do.

I gave up on trying to find someone. No one I know has hair like mine in this area. I just ask my mom or my DH to trim it like 3 times a year and to cut off an inch as straight across as possible. It's amazing how one side is always 2 inches longer than the other.

I wear it curly because straightening is too time consuming.

You may want to call around to area salons and see if you can find one that has someone on their staff with natural curls.
    Amanda
    Just remember without a well written Disney Villain, there would be no point in the Heroes and the Princesses. Have you hugged a Disney Villain today?

• no flash photography...

...and what do you do with curly wavey hair....I acn't let it dry naturally or it looks terrible...If I blow it dry I have to flat iron it...I ahte my hair...98% of the time it's in a ponytail...oh, and if I straighten it and I go to DL the humidity down there makes it frizz and curl anyway...*sigh*

• Gay Man

You know, I use Bumble and Bumble Curl Cream and I get the curl I want by letting it dry naturally. If I don't let it dry naturally, I dry it with a Difusser. A difusser is my one gotta have appliance - along with curl cream and lipstick.

One other reason my hair curls is that it is layered. Layering is the very best thing I ever did to my hair.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast