• Original Mice-Chatter

Rose just asked me a very intense question

Sparked by the words in a song "nothing lasts forever" Rose just came to me and said quietly, her big blue eyes shining- "Mommy, if you and Granmommy and Bobba died, who would take care of me?"

I could not answer with a name- other to say that I would hope that her dad would be there for her, but that I did not know. All I could do was assure her I would make sure she was always taken care of.

Made me think about planning those things though.

• rainy day girl

Blog Entries

Re: Rose just asked me a very intense question

Wow, Nephy, I can't even imagine. I remember when Paige was like 6 I said something about how everybody dies one day, even parents. She was fine for like 10 minutes, but then she burst into these huge tears and said, "I don't want you to die, Mommy!"

So I did something I said I'd never, ever do:

I lied to my kid.

I told her God never takes mommies before their kids are ready to live without them.

Sometimes we have to lie to our kids to reassure them.

So tell her what you have to to make her feel okay. And then, look into making plans for the future. Silly as it sounds, it's never too soon.
    Looking for the truth about giraffes? http://www.menacinggiraffes.blogspot.com/

• Incognito

Blog Entries

Inquisitive little girl you have.

Ive been doing some estate planning of my own, it's kinda weird. Although I will never know what it will be like to figure out what to "do" with kids, I can only imagine how difficult that must be. But, it's important to do because you just never know.

• Original Mice-Chatter

I gave her big hugs and cuddles and reassured her that I wasn't going anywhere- she's ok, not upset, so I am not going to push the conversation at the moment.

I know that if something happened to me- I would leave mom and dad as her guardians (the boys as well- though Braden and Ian may end up with their dad) I don't know if Rose's dad would even be reachable (see prior issues) - if something happened to all of us, I would leave my brother at guardian...after that, I'm a blank!

It's scary stuff to think about-

• rainy day girl

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nephythys
    It's scary stuff to think about-
    Very. But better you think about it now than them having to worry about it if (God forbid) something did happen to you.
    Looking for the truth about giraffes? http://www.menacinggiraffes.blogspot.com/

• Just Me

This has come up for us a LOT lately. The whole thing wiht Hubby's best friend's suicide has brought up a mess of questions. All we can do is reassure him that we would never do that to him. As things have settled down the questions have slowed, but with The Boy, you never know when another question will pop out.

• Guardian Construct

With my husband in Iraq we already had to get our estate in order. That seemed to be the easy part now my kids are asking about what happens when we die. What will happen to them if anything happens to us.
    Weird thing is the subject first came up on a trip to disney. For some unknown reason my kids started asking on the Pirates! I wonder what the employees were thinking as we talked about death over lunch in the Blue Bayou!
    They now seem to understand what will happen if the worst should come to pass. All they asked is if our friends and family will be there with us if they die too. I love how kids always think of others.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Is HOME.

Okay this thread has me in tears.

SunnyG- even though your answer is technically a lie, it's the sweetest thing I have ever heard.
    “In a world filled with hate, we must still dare to hope. In a world filled with anger, we must still dare to comfort. In a world filled with despair, we must still dare to dream. And in a world filled with distrust, we must still dare to believe.” -Michael Jackson