Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Disappearing/Reappearing

Know anything about wigs?

I wore a cheap, black wig with my Halloween costume...and I liked the look SO much, I'm thinking about getting a better quality black wig to wear every now and then. Problem is...I know NOTHING about wigs. I'm wondering; mainly; about wig maintenance.

How often do you wash a wig? How do you wash it? Would getting a straight, simple style be better for a wig novice like me? Do the curls fall out once you wash them?

Thanks to anyone who can answer these questions or give more advice.

• Sweet as honey

Re: Know anything about wigs?

Usually the curls stay pretty intact but there are also methods in curling them yourself like using warm water etc. It's best to keep them in their bags because longer wigs will tangle and it can be pretty tedious to get them right back to how they where, or you could hang them up, or even get those foam heads to set them on they cost about $3 at a beauty supply store! I haven't washed mine since I got them mostly because they're styled just how I want them and I found out that the more you use them the less shiny and fake they look! Good luck!

Thanks! Can you tell me how I would curl it with warm water? I assume you're talking about synthetic wigs...since you can't use a curling iron or blow dryer. I was wondering what to do with those types.
    Last edited by Stitchy; 11-02-2009 at 07:46 PM.

• Sweet as honey

What I do is I use my fingers and twirl the hair, get a towel dipped in hot water and set it on top for a tousled look, or you can even get rollers, put them in the wig hair, and lightly use a blow dryer you just have to be careful to not do it for too long or the wig will melt!

thanks SOOOO much! That answered ALOT of questions!

• Sweet as honey

You're welcome! Hahah I have a pixie cut so I have a lot of wigs to change it up!

That's great! I am hoping to get a collection going. I want to try one wig first, and see how I like it, and then add to that.

I think wigs would be a much easier way to change my hair color than dying it back and forth. I'm in the process of getting it back to blonde after being medium brown. It's been a headache finding the right shades. This would be SO much easier...and quicker!

• Sweet as honey

After one you can't stop! Haha. I know exactly how that is, I've dyed my hair so many times, about to go black in a few days, black is the hardest to get rid of but I miss it.

• Very own madame Leota!

Quote Originally Posted by Stitchy View Post
    I wore a cheap, black wig with my Halloween costume...and I liked the look SO much, I'm thinking about getting a better quality black wig to wear every now and then. Problem is...I know NOTHING about wigs. I'm wondering; mainly; about wig maintenance.

How often do you wash a wig? How do you wash it? Would getting a straight, simple style be better for a wig novice like me? Do the curls fall out once you wash them?

Thanks to anyone who can answer these questions or give more advice.
    For natural hair wigs, generally it's suggested to wash between every 10 or so wearings. with synthetic it can go up to between every 15-20 wearings. Of course if you're very active and perspiring while wearing the wig I'd do it a bit more often than that. (somewhere around between 5-8 wearings.) Any more often than that the wig will definitely start to deteriorate. (especially synthetic wigs.)

And when washing, don't use normal shampoo and conditioners that you would use for your normal hair. They make special wig products for washing. same with combs. (though if you have to you can get away with a wide tooth comb. the more narrow ones tend to pull out more of the wig hair.) Some are even made for specific wig styles as well.
    Here's a good description of the washing process I found:
    "
    Before washing it is best to smooth out your wig with a wire brush or wig pick. This will loosen any dirt and grime and make it easier to get your wig completely clean. Next, fill a bucket, basin, or large bowl with lukewarm water (never use hot water as it can damage the wig) and add the appropriate amount of wig shampoo. Gently submerge the wig in the water and allow it to soak for two to five minutes. To rinse, gently swish the wig under clean, cool, running water. Before placing the wig on a head form to air dry blot out the extra water with a towel or other absorbent cloth. Never twist, tug, or pull on the hair when drying.
    If you need to wash your wig more often than usual you may want to add a conditioning step to your wig cleaning routine. Specially formulated leave-in conditioners can help keep your wig soft and supple and also help keep it smelling and looking fresh longer. To use simply follow the manufacturer's directions on the bottle.
    By taking the extra time to properly care for and wash your wig you can extend the life of your hairpiece and keep it looking more natural longer."

As far as storing them afterward, I would invest in a good wig head and have it displayed on that (sticking a pin or two into the head to keep the wig secure.) and keeping the wig head somewhere safe. And yes, since you're new to wigs I would suggest trying a simple straight haired wig before you go into any more elaborate styles.

I hope this has helped!
    Last album uploads: pictures from the Alice in Wonderland exhibit, more still to be added
    2nd Club 33 visit- Febuary '10! Yay for my sister's birthday.
    Next Disneyland visit: ???
    My knicks and knacks and fancy dresses:
    http://questionablekristina.deviantart.com/

Thank you so much, Questionable. Esp. the cleaning info.

I have found a wig that I like very much...it's black and pretty wavy. I haven't had much luck in finding a straight wig that I like very much. The straighter styles I like are a little more expensive than I wanted to spend. I wanted to go with something cheaper; since it's my first wig. I want to see how I like actually wearing one before I buy anything more pricey. This is my "training wheel wig". LOL. I love the look of them...but, not sure how I will feel with it on. Don't want to invest too much just to find out I hate the feel.

Thank you both SOOO much for all the advice!

• Mrs. J. Depp

I wore a wig once for Halloween a couple of years ago. It was from a wig shop and the thing itched my head like crazy, even with the little cap on. Also, I realized I don't like having something heavy like that on my head, I felt like I was suffocating. So I decided to try extensions. I have some human hair ones and they are awesome. They change my look without changing it too much and they are a little less work than a wig.
    I've got to see pictures of you in your fabulous wigs once you get a couple.

Facebook me!
    Join in the Disney fun at MyVMK!

I'll definately post pictures! I'm a little worried how I will feel in one. Like you, the wig I wore at Halloween; itched and drove me nuts! I was SO happy to get back to the car and take that thing off! I'm hoping a better quality wig will make all the difference. I guess we'll see.

• Race Car Driver

I have a sister in law that cant grow any of her own hair.....
    one time she was at my house and had a shower..... her hair looked the same wet as it did dry..... it was styled..... I said to her...
    Your hair looks so perfect when its wet... it must be a wig.

Thats how I found out!
    Snacks
    Yes, it is fast....

No, you can't drive IT.

Drive it like it's stolen.

• Very own madame Leota!

Quote Originally Posted by Stitchy View Post
    I'll definately post pictures! I'm a little worried how I will feel in one. Like you, the wig I wore at Halloween; itched and drove me nuts! I was SO happy to get back to the car and take that thing off! I'm hoping a better quality wig will make all the difference. I guess we'll see.
    Just like most things, the more you pay the better quality the wig. then there's also the difference between skin top wigs and the weaved caps. (skin is just like what it sounds like, basically creating a fake skin that the hair is attached to. making it look more realistic to some.)
    Last album uploads: pictures from the Alice in Wonderland exhibit, more still to be added
    2nd Club 33 visit- Febuary '10! Yay for my sister's birthday.
    Next Disneyland visit: ???
    My knicks and knacks and fancy dresses:
    http://questionablekristina.deviantart.com/

The one I bought is lace. I'm not sure if that makes any difference.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast