Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Circle of Ancients

Okay girls and guys, I have a question for you...

Would you be offended if you were asked to do a job at work that you didn't feel like doing even though it was part of your job requirement and your boss said to you "Sometimes you've just gotta suck it up and do it even if you don't feel like doing it?"

Just an opinion question...no right or wrong answer.

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Re: Okay girls and guys, I have a question for you...

Quote Originally Posted by Princess Buttercup View Post
    Would you be offended if you were asked to do a job at work that you didn't feel like doing even though it was part of your job requirement and your boss said to you "Sometimes you've just gotta suck it up and do it even if you don't feel like doing it?"

Just an opinion question...no right or wrong answer.
    If the boss said it that way I'd be pissed. Unless I was close to them and it was said jokingly. Sadly though that statement is 100% correct but good bosses don't come out and say that.

• mountains beyond mtns.

This scenario happens to me frequently though the boss never phrases it that way. If they did,however, I'd be seething mad while I'm doing that task.

However, since I've gotten into a bit of trouble as far as outbursts are concerned, they pretty much have the gun to my head on the matter and so I really would have to just suck it up, ultimately.

• Mrs. J. Depp

My last boss was like that. She said stuff like that to me all of the time. But it always made me mad because she would ask me to clean the bathroom and such (stuff she never did, by the way) and that's why it annoyed me. I like bosses who can be on a level playing field with you and get in there and get their hands dirty if need be. Unfortunately those ones are few and far between. The word BOSS goes to peoples heads and they use it to visibly exercise authority over others, even if it means being a total jerk.

Facebook me!
    Join in the Disney fun at MyVMK!

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Quote Originally Posted by IzzyInWonderland View Post
    My last boss was like that. She said stuff like that to me all of the time. But it always made me mad because she would ask me to clean the bathroom and such (stuff she never did, by the way) and that's why it annoyed me. I like bosses who can be on a level playing field with you and get in there and get their hands dirty if need be. Unfortunately those ones are few and far between. The word BOSS goes to peoples heads and they use it to visibly exercise authority over others, even if it means being a total jerk.
    This is going to sound rude but bosses shouldn't be cleaning the bathrooms. You work hard and become a superior so you don't have to do lower tasks that minimum wage people should be doing. Again I didn't mean to come off as rude but it's 100% true.

• mountains beyond mtns.

Quote Originally Posted by aashee View Post
    This is going to sound rude but bosses shouldn't be cleaning the bathrooms. You work hard and become a superior so you don't have to do lower tasks that minimum wage people should be doing. Again I didn't mean to come off as rude but it's 100% true.
    But what about in situations where illness, injury or whatever else cause the staff to be trimmed by 50% or more? Maybe it's just my workplace where that's a common occurence but I've seen my boss perform a lot of menial tasks that I don't even get asked to do.

That's not to say that they fit Izzy's description of a great boss, however, as it was more likely out of a concern that the Department of Health Services might show up.

• Mrs. J. Depp

Quote Originally Posted by aashee View Post
    We actually worked at a womens boutique and she would be working alone for hours, but would wait until I came to work and then tell me to do a bunch of stuff. And she would say "Oh I was going to do it myself but....", every time. Then she would sit there on the phone the whole time. It was infuriating. It's not like this lady had a degree she worked hard for to hold this position. She knew the owner. If she had gotten any kind of degree, it would have been in witchiness. She seemed to know a lot about that.

Facebook me!

• Disappearing/Reappearing

I think...if what you have been asked to do, is part of your job description....your boss shouldn't have to tell you to suck it up and do it. You should just...do it. That's what you were hired for, it's what you get paid for, and in a time when jobs are scarce...you should be doing it happily.

However, the boss should always have tact. Unless, it's a situation where you had been asked numerous times, in a kind manner, and this was the boss's last resort....they should have been nicer in the way they handled the situation.

If this was the first time the boss brought this up, yes, I would be offended. Because they should know you catch more flies with honey.

• Hukuna Matata!

You know it all depends how much you like and want to keep your job, I am forced to do things everyday that are not in my job description, You know Im coming on two years, I was promised alot of things I was promised a raise over a year ago, I have no benifit's. I started off with one saturday off a month, and now in a fit of rage at another employee he made it to where if there is a holiday in that month and we have a day off that saturday off is cancelled, which does me no good because most holidays are during the week, So in summary I am shooting for another Job, I am interviewing next week. If I get it I will have two days off, and alot of benifits plus free flying for me and my family.

• Cake Anyone?

I worked at one job that actually put in my job offer letter that I had to make coffee for the owner and wash dishes. Apparently they had hired other people for the position and had told them that was part of their duties and they won't do it so they let them go and from then on they put it in the job offer letter and if you didn't do it you were gone.
    Taking contributions to get me back to Disneyland!

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Arizona's own

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Stitchy View Post
    I think...if what you have been asked to do, is part of your job description....your boss shouldn't have to tell you to suck it up and do it. You should just...do it.

However, the boss should always have tact. Unless, it's a situation where you had been asked numerous times, in a kind manner, and this was the boss's last resort....they should have been nicer in the way they handled the situation.
    Stitchy wrote pretty much what I was going to say. If it is part of the employees job description why were they not already doing it? Most people do not get to pick and choose which parts of their job they want to do.

• rainy day girl

Blog Entries

I wouldn't be offended because, well...sometimes you do just gotta suck it up. Especially when it's your job in the first place.
    Looking for the truth about giraffes? http://www.menacinggiraffes.blogspot.com/

• Circle of Ancients

Thanks for the input so far.

I'll give you some background as to why I asked the question. i am the manager of a dining room at a senior residence. I like my job,
    i get asked to do all kinds of things , and I do them whether I want to or not.
    Jobs are called "work " for a reason. You don't get to just show up for work, do nothing and collect a paycheck although that's what some people seem to think.

In the dining room, I do a little bit of everything and if a I have a server call in sick and can't get a sub, I sometimes have to be a server myself.

Okay...

So I have a server who begged me for more hours and now that I'm given him more, all he does is complain about everything. Besides waiting tables, it's the server's job to make salads, make ice water pitchers for tables, make sure the tables have butter , cream, tea, sugar and are completely set. At the end of the night, for servers rotate the jobs of cleaning off the chairs , cleaning off the table bases, vacuuming one half of the dining room and vacuuming the other half of the dining room.

So last night, this server was griping about everything. First he was mad because he had to make the salads by himself. Everyone makes the salads by themselves. Then he was griping about having more residents in his section. His and another server's had seats for 24 each, the other two sections had seats for 26 each. Next he was griping about how he had to vacuum again even though he vacuumed two nights ago. Every other word out of his mouth was "It's not fair."

At the end of his shift , I sat down to talk with him about how things aren't any more unfair for him than they are for anyone else, how these are not unreasonable jobs we're asking the employees to do , and how sometimes he might be asked to do the same clean up job two nights in a row just like other people sometimes have to do the same clean up job two nights in a row. He and I have been on pretty good terms so far so that's when I said "Sometimes you gotta just suck it up and do whatever section or side job you're asked to do." I didn't realize that some people find that expression offensive. Now that I do, I'll never say that again to an employee.

• Seasick

I always appreciate when a boss asks "could you please do this...", even if it isn't a request, and is technically an order.

It's not a requirement that bosses show tact or courtesy, but I think it's safe to say a happy employee is a more productive employee.

At the same time, some employee's need a little bit of bluntness, a wake-up call.

Saying "Sometimes you gotta just suck it up" is probably something that employee needed to hear. I agree you should be cautious, and use a potentially offensive phrase as a bit of a last resort, but from the sounds of it this person had it coming.

I think it's fair to say that using that sort of tone with an employee should be preceded by a concerted effort to solve the problems in a constructive and mutually courteous manner. If they still don't grasp the concept that sometimes a job requires us to do things we don't like, then by all means have at it.
    My Micechat cruise trip report, Part 1:http://micechat.com/14795-disney-wonder/

• Mrs. J. Depp

PB, I think you handled it well. And I think given the situation, it was not an offensive thing to say because he had been complaining all night and you were just trying to show him that he doesn't get any special treatment and that all the servers do the same jobs. Hopefully it was a chance for him to turn himself around.

Facebook me!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast