Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

We are all losing sleep: help!!!

I have a 2 year old girl....so sleep has been hard to come by anyways, but now it has almost disappeared. Every night she wakes up screaming at the top of her lungs at 2am and sometimes again at 4am. It takes her forever to fall back asleep. I can find no reason for her doing this. She is a healthy happy 2 yr old. We always ask her if she "hurts" anywhere, and for her to show us the "ouchy" but nothing. I have checked to see if she is getting new teeth, even gave her tylenol before bed once. I have tried mylicon in case it was gas also. I have told the doctor and he said she seems fine, he tested her for a few things but there was nothing to find. I am afraid that this is becoming a nightly habit. Has anyone gone through this? Could it be night terrors? Does anyone have any advice at all? Thanks for listening.....I hope there is an answer because I think it is affecting our health...we all have a cold right now and sleep would be heaven.

• insufferable know-it-all

Re: We are all losing sleep: help!!!

Stop giving her caffiene or sugar after 6pm. See if that helps. I know of adults who can't drink caffiene or eat sugary foods after like 8pm because it either keeps them up or causes nightmares. (Something about the brain being a little too active maybe?).

I hope that helps. I don't have a 2-yr old, so I can't guarantee it, but at this point you may as well try it.

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• I'm your huckleberry.

Hey Churro, I can empathize! My daughter (who is now 9) has done the same thing since she was about your munchkin's age. She's always been a restless sleeper, and often sleepwalks too. It runs in our family, I did a lot of sleepwalking and talking in my sleep, as did my youngest brother.

What I have been told by the pediatrician is that as long as its not causing my daughter any problems (tired in the morning, realizes she's having a nightmare, etc.) that the screaming is not anything to worry about. LOL, kinda hard when the screaming wakes up the whole house, I know!

I would talk to your pediatrician.

• Banned User

I went thru this with my 4 year old ( soon to be 5) we went thru this from birth to 3 years. even some times it still happens. I just go and reasure him all is well, and if I have to I put him in my bed. this is not the case any more as he just goes back to sleep if I turn music on low. I feel your pain, and hers. it was common so much in my home that I just waited for it to happen. I was up 10 to 12 times a night some times. I got to the point of reasuring, and then putting on light music. it worked and he does not get out of bed or get overly upset. Find some soft lulabys, put them on real light for her when this happens and she will go back to sleep. my son has them very rare now, but when he does I just say from my room across the hal, son its ok, go back to sleep. if he wants music he asks, but now he just turns over and goes back to sleep.

• loves a silver lining

Blog Entries

Has she been doing it for a long period of time? Shawn used to do that and his ped. said it was night terrors. It just took getting through them with him. But it didn't last long. Also, even now Shawn has nights where he wakes up in pain every so often, not screaming just moaning. We determined that to be "growing pains" because whenever it happens it's right around a growth spurt.

I'd make an appt. with her ped. just to go over things, maybe the ped. will have some good suggestions for you, cause I obviously don't Sorry!!

Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ

• is FIERCE!

Blog Entries

Wow- I have no advice for this and don't know what it could be. You could try giving her liquid melatonin. It is the hormone produced by the body when it is dark out, so its totally natural and not a drug. Ot is safe to give to children as young as two once or twice a week. My husband and I use it sometimes and it works wonders to help you get a good nights sleep without feeling groggy. It also comes in caplets to help you and hubby sleep.

Maybe all she needs is a couple nights of good quality sleep?

http://www.vitamin-galore.com/Vitamins/047469004576.htm

(this link says not for use for children under 12, but I have read other studies that say its ok for little ones- maybe talk to your ped and see if this would be ok to try)
    Check out the News Forum for the latest news with a Micechat twist!

Do you MiceChat?
    Help support the site you love:
    -Visit the MiceChat store
    Make a donation with one of the boxes at the bottom of the page

DMCA for life, yo.
    MCDA- Bringin' sexyback, one pound at a time.

• The Unknown Princess

http://kidshealth.org/parent/general/sleep/nghtter.html

http://familydoctor.org/566.xml

http://pediatrics.about.com/cs/sleep...ht_terrors.htm

http://toddlerstoday.com/resources/a...ghtterrors.htm

Here are some links I found on the internet. I am not very versed on night terrors but the symptoms seem to point that way. Read up on it and talk to your pediatrician.

You also might want to figure out if your child may have heard some "scary" tales (especially since its near Halloween) that her sub-concious has latched on to.

But I have a feeling its night terrors.
    Always keep smiling because you never know who is falling in love with it.
    --------------------------------------------------------
    Part of the Disney Ohana

--------------------------------------------------------

• I'm your huckleberry.

Quote Originally Posted by dramaqueen
    Wow- I have no advice for this and don't know what it could be. You could try giving her liquid melatonin. It is the hormone produced by the body when it is dark out, so its totally natural and not a drug. Ot is safe to give to children as young as two once or twice a week. My husband and I use it sometimes and it works wonders to help you get a good nights sleep without feeling groggy. It also comes in caplets to help you and hubby sleep.

Maybe all she needs is a couple nights of good quality sleep?

http://www.vitamin-galore.com/Vitamins/047469004576.htm

(this link says not for use for children under 12, but I have read other studies that say its ok for little ones- maybe talk to your ped and see if this would be ok to try)

While I know melatonin works quite well for many people, I must point out that just because it is natural does NOT mean that it is not a drug, and does not mean that it is always safe to give to children.

For example, willow bark has been used for centuries as a pain reliever. Its active ingredient is acetylsalicylic acid .... AKA aspirin. Digitalis is made from the foxglove flower and is a very potent heart medication.

Before giving your child (or yourself for that matter) any kind of medication, whether herbal, natural or over the counter, ALWAYS check with your doctor.

• insufferable know-it-all

True. After all, hemlock is herbal and all natural - but it still killed Socrates.

If the doc okays it though, probably cool. You might also want to check with a skilled herbalist. They often know what certain herbs do with prolonged use and can tell you which you need to worry about and which are harmless.

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• I'm your huckleberry.

Quote Originally Posted by Morrigoon
    True. After all, hemlock is herbal and all natural - but it still killed Socrates.

Quote Originally Posted by Morrigoon
    If the doc okays it though, probably cool.
    Ditto on that. Wasn't trying to say that melatonin isn't a good treatment, just don't like people to be lulled into security by thinking that natural=safe, that's all.

• is FIERCE!

Blog Entries

thanks for pointing that out. I should have clarified. Melatonin is a hormone that is naturally produced by your body. It is naturally present and not an herb or something like that which is why I would not classify it as a drug. But definitely check with a pediatrician before giving your child anything like this. This was recommended to me by my physiology professor who explained how melatonin works with the bodies chemistry. Once light no longer hits the eyes, the body is stimulated to release melatonin, which is why we get tired when it is dark outside. Once the eyes sense light, melatonin production stops and you wake up. I guess I should have explained that better.

Another way of stimulating natural melatonin production in the body is by dimming the lights. If you start making it darker sooner in the house, it will make her sleepy faster- close the windows, turn down lights, etc.
    Check out the News Forum for the latest news with a Micechat twist!

Do you MiceChat?
    Help support the site you love:
    -Visit the MiceChat store
    Make a donation with one of the boxes at the bottom of the page

DMCA for life, yo.
    MCDA- Bringin' sexyback, one pound at a time.

• D'LAND BIRTH YEAR BABY

You have my sympathy, my one year old grandson is doing the same just screaming at night , going to sleep and wakes up screamming somemore. A diaper change dosent help, he refuses and pushes away his bottle while screamming. My daughter took him to ER the other night thinking ear infection, somthing but nothing was wrong, for her sake and yours I hope this dosent last too long and is just a phase. My oldest daughter was a lousy sleeper and at 24 still has sleep issues. When she woke up every few hours she just wanted to eat or play , no crying just wanted company , it was hell until she was finially old enough to entertain herself in her crib, at 4 am she would be sitting up looking a cloth book or playing with a toy.

• Incognito

Blog Entries

My friend is having similar issues with her 10 month old. She's waking up around the same time crying bloody murder and sobbing, then stops and sleeps like nothing just happened. Says it tears her heart out to hear her daughter do this but for now she's letting her sleep though it and see's how that will last before calling her ped. Kinda scary!

Thanks for all the input...I have taken her to the pediatrician and he says there is nothing wrong with her. He tested for pin worms and a couple other things, but nothing. I will have to ask him about the melatonin but I think he will probably say no. This has been going on for just over 2 weeks and I am hoping it is not a long term thing. I am feeling really worn down from it and can do nothing to console her when it is happening. If I turn on a light she thinks it is time to play, so I won't be doing that again. She has always had a fan running in her room for the "white" noise to drown out street sounds. She only gets limited sugar and no caffeine, so.... idk. The pediatrician also suggested that it might be growing pains but tylenol or ibuprofen seem to do nothing. Thanks for all the links and I am going to check them out right now!

• Banned User

Ok, I want to tell you we did the melatonin, its awsome and my own doctor put him on it. 1 mg 1 hour before bed. before this he would not go to sleep at all, just did not want to lay his head down and there for I never slept! I do not do it often any more. he has out grown a lot of problem sleeping but yes, melatonin is awsome and a lot of peds give it now for adhd kids to. its natural and safe.
    I forgto to say he took this, I am a firm believer in this and with my doctors say so it has been a miricle. the last time he took it was 4 months ago, he would not go to sleep so I gave him 1mg he went to sleep in like 20 minutes. it works on the ceratonin in the brain. my mom takes it and has for years. me, I am so tired from running all day I could sleep walk!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast