Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Make Up Forever

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Make Up Forever

So a couple weeks ago I went to Sephora and decided to try a different foundation. I'd been using Bare Minerals for 4.5 years and I love it, but it's so messy. And I have a tiny bathroom, so the power residue gets all over everything real quick (ick).

I did some research online for something that's waterproof or at least water resistent and came across Make Up Forever's Mat Velvet foundation. It's water resistent, oil-free and dries in a nice matte finish. Tried it out in the store and I liked it, so I decided to give it a shot. Picked up some of their waterproof concealer and a new Aqua Eyes waterproof eyeliner pencil (which I've used in the past and loved) too.

So far... I like it a lot. I apply it with my Bare Minerals max coverage foundation brush and it goes on real easy. Then I set it with my Mineral Veil. So far it's been lasting all day (just need a minor touch-up if I'm going out after work... usually just a fresh dusting of Mineral Veil to soak up excess oil as I have a really oily T-zone).

Oh yeah and in my bag I found a sample packet of Philosophy's Hope in a Jar moisturizer. LOVE. I need to get a full-size jar sometime.

• Mrs. J. Depp

Re: Make Up Forever

Makeup Forever is a good line. When I used to be a makeup artist I used their products. They are really good on the professional end and the makeup comes out flawless in photos.

I agree with you about BM. It does sort of make a little "dust mess", but I am fairly clean with it and since we live near horses, our house is continually dusty so I have to clean the bathroom counter all the time anyway.

Facebook me!
    Join in the Disney fun at MyVMK!

• Sharing a Paopu Fruit

Blog Entries

MUFE is a great brand when you really need your makeup to stay put all day.

However, the brand can be irritating to people with allergies, and they do use preservatives that are currently thought to be harmful.

Sorry, don't mean to rain on your parade or anything. But Bare Minerals is just such an awesome brand, and quite "healthy" as far as makeup goes.

There are new mini-brushes available, already filled with Matte foundation and Mineral Veil. All you have to do is buff, no need for a powder mess. If you loved your BM, you might want to try those.

• Mrs. J. Depp

Quote Originally Posted by CinderellaStory View Post

However, the brand can be irritating to people with allergies, and they do use preservatives that are currently thought to be harmful.

Sorry, don't mean to rain on your parade or anything. But Bare Minerals is just such an awesome brand, and quite "healthy" as far as makeup goes.

There are new mini-brushes available, already filled with Matte foundation and Mineral Veil. All you have to do is buff, no need for a powder mess. If you loved your BM, you might want to try those.
    Agree Agree Agree with the whole preservatives and unhealthy thing. It's why I use BM. I also love that it stays on even when I have dance for an hour and a half and i come out drenched in sweat. And it never feels heavy, cakey or like its dripping down my face.

Facebook me!
    Join in the Disney fun at MyVMK!

• Dream in wonderful color!

Leslie Blodgett, is that you?

I'm kidding. But seriously, there's nothing wrong with switching to a foundation that isn't BM. There was a big hype over mineral foundation that started a few years ago. Then all the other MU companies jumped into the mineral bandwagon.

Yes, Bare Minerals foundation is made up of a few simple ingredients. Found in nature? not exactly. Bismuth Oxychloride, found in Bare Minerals, is a synthetic ingredient - it is made by combining bismuth, (lead and copper metal refining), with chloride and water. Many women have experienced allergic reactions to this particular ingredient.

Not saying BM isn't a great makeup brand, because they do have good products. I'm just not a fan of the way they market their products as being the "healthiest'' out there. There is no good reason to say that MUFE foundations are unhealthy or pose any significant danger.
    Last edited by nonob88; 02-23-2010 at 10:05 AM.
    - Adventure Is Waiting -

"We're going to take you out of this world of reality for a visit to the most fantastic of all the worlds of fantasy." - Walt Disney

• rainy day girl

Blog Entries

I can't stand Bare Minerals. The product never looks right on me, and makes me break out like crazy.

I am a huge fan of the Make Up Forever High Definition powder. It mattifies my skin and leaves me looking quite nice, and it doesn't break me out in the slightest.
    Looking for the truth about giraffes? http://www.menacinggiraffes.blogspot.com/

I have the foundation one, but I still manage to make a powdery mess out of it all. I just wanted to try something different for a change of pace. Once summer comes and I start getting tan again, I'll most likely be switching back to BM for the summer at least as I still have an almost whole jar of their tan shade left over from last year. And I still love their eyeshadows.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • with sprinkles, please

Blog Entries

^^^I bought that preloaded brush with the Mineral Veil and I never use it. Too hard to control the amount of powder coming out and it gets all over my clothes, which is totally not what you want when on the go. (Or any time, for that matter!)
    A signature should go here.

• Sharing a Paopu Fruit

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nonob88 View Post
    Leslie Blodgett, is that you?

I'm kidding. But seriously, there's nothing wrong with switching to a foundation that isn't BM. There was a big hype over mineral foundation that started a few years ago. Then all the other MU companies jumped into the mineral bandwagon.

Yes, Bare Minerals foundation is made up of a few simple ingredients. Found in nature? not exactly. Bismuth Oxychloride, found in Bare Minerals, is a synthetic ingredient - it is made by combining bismuth, (lead and copper metal refining), with chloride and water. Many women have experienced allergic reactions to this particular ingredient.

Not saying BM isn't a great makeup brand, because they do have good products. I'm just not a fan of the way they market their products as being the "healthiest'' out there. There is no good reason to say that MUFE foundations are unhealthy or pose any significant danger.
    Oh, I totally agree. Nothing out there is really GOOD for us (especially makeup, sickening as that is). I usually try to ignore the "bad-for-you" fad at the moment, since the wind might change the next week (for example: eggs. First they are healthy, then they are unhealthy, then they are healthy again, then they are only healthy if you cut out the yolk, etc. etc). But I heard all this negative stuff about parabens, so I did some research on it, and I admit it scared me. I now attempt to steer away from that, and I check Skin Deep for updated information on which cosmetics companies are making strides to change their practices for the benefit of their consumers health. I also check the ingredients list on any make-up product before I buy it.

But I do agree with you about MUFE being a good brand. They really do what they say they are going to. I would love to be able to use brands such as that more often, but I'm just too paranoid I guess.

• Dream in wonderful color!

Oh, I totally agree. Nothing out there is really GOOD for us (especially makeup, sickening as that is). I usually try to ignore the "bad-for-you" fad at the moment, since the wind might change the next week (for example: eggs. First they are healthy, then they are unhealthy, then they are healthy again, then they are only healthy if you cut out the yolk, etc. etc). But I heard all this negative stuff about parabens, so I did some research on it, and I admit it scared me. I now attempt to steer away from that, and I check Skin Deep for updated information on which cosmetics companies are making strides to change their practices for the benefit of their consumers health. I also check the ingredients list on any make-up product before I buy it.

But I do agree with you about MUFE being a good brand. They really do what they say they are going to. I would love to be able to use brands such as that more often, but I'm just too paranoid I guess.
    I'm familiar with Skin Deep and their cosmetics database. They publish those "reports" based on tests where the ingredient is used at very high concentrations, nowhere near the concentrations that are available to the average consumer. Their ratings are not regulated in any way, and they can publish whatever they want and can get away with it.

This review sums it up for me:

For every item listed on the website, there is a "buy online" option. If you buy the item by clicking through, EWG is getting an affiliate commission on the sale. Even items that have the highest toxicity rating are available for purchase online through the EWG Cosmetics Database website. WHY would a group that cares for your well-being choose to make commissions on these products?

Why aren't any of the scientists that worked on this database actually named? How about a single doctor? It is not good science to say that ingredient X in product A is a hazard simply because ingredient X was shown as dangerous in some study. 1) How much of ingredient X is needed to be dangerous? The study could have pumped ingredient X into subjects while product A is only constituted 0.01% by ingredient X. 2) What is the method of absorption? Did the study inject ingredient X into the bloodstream or did the subjects eat ingredient X or was it applied to their eyeballs? Is the method of absorption the same in the study as in the product? Is applying a product externally to your hair or lips going to impact you the same way as in the study? 3) What else could have contributed to the dangerousness of ingredient X and is that same ingredient present in product A? For example, a product might contain ingredients that cancel out the "dangerous" ingredient. You'd be surprised how many companies do use ingredients that cancel each other out (see Paula Begoun: Paula's Choice: Cosmetics Cop: Skin Care & Makeup Tips & Reviews). 4) Was the study showing that ingredient X is dangerous itself a good study? Was it done correctly? Are there reasons to believe that the study itself was flawed (many are)? 5) Who were the subjects? Rabbits, humans, rats? Is a test of ingredient X going to impact you the same way it did the subjects? For example, two decards ago, saccharin was shown to produce bladder tumors in rats and they extended the threat theoretically to humans, but now they know that rat bladder tumors arise from mechanisms that are not relevant to humans.

And there are many more questions that one would have to ask. The bottom line is that you should look at the methodology section where it explains how they "cross-linked" ingredient names in cosmetics with names in scientific studies and then did "some" unlinking when they found that cosmetic ingredients and study ingredients didn't match up for some reason. For me, this database is a fear peddling cash cow.

-
    Marina N.
    Food and Wine Maven
    San Francisco, CA
    and another link that questions the website's validity:

Essential U Blog: The Real Truth About Cocamidopropyl Betaine
    - Adventure Is Waiting -

"We're going to take you out of this world of reality for a visit to the most fantastic of all the worlds of fantasy." - Walt Disney

I just know I won't go back to drugstore brands for 95% of my makeup. That stuff will break out my face and clog my pores like nobody's business.

• Sharing a Paopu Fruit

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nonob88 View Post
    I'm familiar with Skin Deep and their cosmetics database. They publish those "reports" based on tests where the ingredient is used at very high concentrations, nowhere near the concentrations that are available to the average consumer. Their ratings are not regulated in any way, and they can publish whatever they want and can get away with it.

This review sums it up for me:

and another link that questions the website's validity:

Essential U Blog: The Real Truth About Cocamidopropyl Betaine
    Wow, awesome. It's always great to see two sides to an argument.

So I wonder...how do we know what we are really getting in our cosmetics? Obviously they are not regulated heavily enough (or at all) by the FDA, and somebody out there really should be monitoring these things we're putting on our mouths and faces and eyes.

It is entirely plausible (and likely) that most companies will cut corners where they can, even if that means the use of cheaper and more harmful ingredients. How can we know what we are really buying?

I know it's up to us as the consumer to be informed, but it seems a nearly insurmountable task. We want products that WORK and are affordable, but at the same time, it isn't worth it if they are going to give us health problems (or even death) later in life.

Sorry, I know my rambling is a little deep for this forum. And I hate to be all gloom-and-doom. But it is something that weighs heavily on my mind. How do I be health conscious, budget conscious, and still look good (or at least presentable )?

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

SheKnows put out anarticle yesterday about this thing:
    10 Toxins found in common cosmetics
    Page 1 is the bad stuff, page2 has natural products.
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

Woah people.... I didn't start this thread to debate what brands of makeup are "good" for you and which are "bad". I started it to give a personal review of a different foundation I'm giving a try... in case anyone else was curious about that particular brand.

• formerly PretzelSouls!

I'll have to check out that foundation some time! I've been using Revlon Colorstay Foundation and it seems to be working well, and it stays all day for me unlike all the other foundations I've used. Even BareMinerals would wear off within a couple hours.
    "Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've imagined." -Henry David Thoreau

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast