Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Should we be HYSTERICAL?

The Alice in Wonderland Project

I like to write and blabber. XD I like to explain things to people and talk about events. yada yada blah blah blah. so I guess that's why I'm posting this little blog-like thread. [it's not in my blog because i don't have a single Mice Chat coin 8D. i'm justa riff raff street rat, guess i'll have to do that].

I shall start out with a brief intro <--knowing me, because i said that, it probably won't be very brief @_@. sorry folks, if ya wanna just skip over this and saunter over to the meat of this post, by all means. and if you wanna just click that little X button or red button, go ahead =)

I'll sum up myself really quickly. I'm Vi. I'm 5 feet two and sixteen, yet have the strange habit of telling people I'm fourteen by accident. Academics-wise, I'm average--my strengths in English, History, and the like are balanced with my failure in math and chemistry =D nonschool-wise, I'm pretty sure my IQ is equal to that of a stick o' butter.

I'm a SoCal Chinese kiddo.

I think I'm one of the typical people who cruise the Internet that you've met before, the ones who like to write, sing, dance, sew, cosplay, draw, act and voice-act, play video games, etc., and I'm mediocre or less than mediocre in all of it =D

and like the rest of you, I love Disney stuff. I always have, but what really seemed to trigger the obsession was a combination of two consecutive trips to Disneyland and The Little Mermaid on Broadway @_@. Top favorite Disney characters are probably Ariel, Eric, Naveen, Charlotte La Bouff, the Tremaines, Fawn, Peter Pan and Aladdin. Jasmine too, but some of the episodes in the T.V. series made me think of her more as a snob. SHAME ON YOU, T.V. series ! D=

now I shall slowly yet discretely transition into the topic of Alice in Wonderland. =D

I think I always really liked the movie just because of a particular memory of it, where me and my cousin were sleeping over at another cousin's house who had recently had twin boys. The boys had this awesome little caveman...play..house? sorta set up, complete with two levels and a slide 8D IT WAS COOL. so late at night when all was asleep, me and my cousin built it into a fort. it was pretty cramped, but we smuggled a teeny T.V. onto the second level where we perched, watching Alice in Wonderland in our fort. D= gah, that was fun. Tell me what is more fun that making a fort, padding it heavily with pillows, and then watching a movie inside of it!

NOTHING. there is nothing.

[It's funny because I also remember it was a recorded tape, and after Alice in Wonderland, Swiss Family Robinson was showing, and my cousin instantly went ugh LOL. sadly, not many people know of the movie. or like it. D= i still love to quote, fake-sobbing "it was because of the pirates!"]

anyways, on to the point of this whole thread.

cue the corny poorly edited picture.

-----
    At school, people know that I'm all about Disney, and I'm all about cosplay. For Halloween, I made a wedding Giselle costume which I wore to school [and then later had to ride a crowded bus to the mall in O_O man, my feet hurt. I'm a wuss when I wear heels.]

So the yearbook team is making this section about pop culture...you know, what's popular XD. They asked two students to do something about stuff that's "in". One girl was asked to do a tutorial-like section about Lady Gaga, meaning she's going to do one of Lady Gaga's hair styles [AND wear it to school =D!]. The other student is yours truly. They asked me to do something with Alice in Wonderland, because of Tim Burton's new movie coming out [can't wait to see it O_O].

what I'm doing is turning a classic Disney inspired Alice in Wonderland dress into one inspired by the new Tim Burton movie [which is also Disney, but I'm going to call it the Burton one because it's easier to distinguish XD].

Yeah, it's not going to be that good, I can see it now XD. I'm not planning on buying too much extra stuff [I already have a wig that I think is good enough to use for this one time thing, and I'm using the material from the original dress for most of it] as my mother refuses to let me spend money on more cosplays till I finish my other ones [I'm also working on a mermaid Ariel--got the shells done, tail in progress but that project is on hiatus for now]

but so far it has been an interesting + fun experience, so I thought I'd share =) for the heck o' it.

this is my costume that I'm editing:

I do believe it was 7 dollars at Wal-Mart after Halloween XD I'm going to use a different wig than this one for Burton Alice, as well as different shoes--boots.

This is the Burton Alice dress. as you can tell, totally different fabric and color HAHA. @_@ and the embroidery at the bottom is screaming nightmares at me.

i cut the apron + collar off of my dress.
    to make my dress longer, i did some serious thinking.
    there's a blue silk layer beneath the main dress:

like so [SCANDALOUS PIC!, I KNOW]
    so i cut that off and added it to the bottom and then put the little line of ruffles thingy in the Burton dress to cover the sewing.

sorry the quality sucks [the dress looks really dark here, and a little bit like Cinderella's? O_O] i took it using Photobooth 8D <---lazy. there's actually a layer of clear material at the top where I'm going to sew lace to, but you can't see it. the blue lines on the torso section were cut from the petticoat's hem.

Sleeve detail in progress.

And that's all so far O_O

tomorrow my very supportive mother is going down to West Covina to get the Alice necklace for me [I have no time to make it, much less find the stuff I need to, as this is due on March 3rd and I have SAT prep like ya wouldn't believe ;__;! ON TOP OF SCHOOL WORK. yargh.]

i'm scared to make the gloves. O_O.
    and i'm scared to do the embroidery.

but a dork's gotta do what a dork's gotta do!

FIN~

for now.
    Last edited by Vidia; 02-23-2010 at 09:20 PM.

• A Not-So-Mad Mini-Hatter

Re: The Alice in Wonderland Project

Sounds cool! So, will you be changing the color, as well? Or keeping it the original blue?
    blogtwitterdeviantart

psh! hey, you! i make miniature disney hats. wanna see them? click here.

some cool cats:
    - a113 - animekiti4christ - captianeo,atis - ckelef1 - cocoa - dapperjoshua - disneyizz -
    disneylove - the disneylander - *disneyprincess* - disneyroyals411 - dmtnt55 - donald_duck -
    - fangalicious44 - firebolt413 - gummibears_rock - ice101 - incrediboy - itsxxdomoxxkun -
    - junglecruisefan - kablary - kritter -littleactressann - mainstreetjake - mandypandy - mikeskellington -
    - padgerfan - performerinwaiting - ss77 - theoretical - thinkingofdisney11 - wendyinwonderland - williamtheking -

aw thanks! =D
    I'll be keeping it the way it is. =) It's not as dull as the Burton dress or even the same material, but it really is just a transformation of the original dress XD! =D

Quote Originally Posted by Vidia View Post
    aw thanks! =D
    I'll be keeping it the way it is. =) It's not as dull as the Burton dress or even the same material, but it really is just a transformation of the original dress XD! =D
    Okay, just checking!
    I wish I could suggest something to you for the embroidery, but don't know what to tell you. D: I wish you luck with that!
    Will you be keeping us posted?
    blogtwitterdeviantart

some cool cats:
    - a113 - animekiti4christ - captianeo,atis - ckelef1 - cocoa - dapperjoshua - disneyizz -
    disneylove - the disneylander - *disneyprincess* - disneyroyals411 - dmtnt55 - donald_duck -
    - fangalicious44 - firebolt413 - gummibears_rock - ice101 - incrediboy - itsxxdomoxxkun -
    - junglecruisefan - kablary - kritter -littleactressann - mainstreetjake - mandypandy - mikeskellington -
    - padgerfan - performerinwaiting - ss77 - theoretical - thinkingofdisney11 - wendyinwonderland - williamtheking -

Oh, oh, idea! To make it wayyyy easier on yourself, I would use fabric paint (a.k.a. my new bff - it was so awesome for my Queen of Hearts costume) and paint on the embroidery instead. It wouldn't have the same texture, of course, but it would be way faster, for sure.
    blogtwitterdeviantart

some cool cats:

I'll definitely be keeping ya'll posted! ;D

OH. my gosh. LOL. yup yup, i have the IQ of a stick of butter. i was thinking of drawing it on with Sharpie, but Sharpie bleeds like crazy on this material. Then I was like =D I'LL PAINT IT ON. but then I kind of shrugged that idea of, as I...did not think of fabric paint. HAHA. I fail very hard. O_O

Thank you so so SO much for the idea!!! I just might end of having to do it since time is so limited for me. [I'm going away this weekend too @_@]
    better watch it, missy, I just might steal your bff ;3 dur hur hur

aww man you HAVE to show me your Queen of Hearts costume!!!!! =OOO!

I'll definitely be keeping ya'll posted! ;D

OH. my gosh. LOL. yup yup, i have the IQ of a stick of butter. i was thinking of drawing it on with Sharpie, but Sharpie bleeds like crazy on this material. Then I was like =D I'LL PAINT IT ON. but then I kind of shrugged that idea of, as I...did not think of fabric paint. HAHA. I fail very hard. O_O

Thank you so so SO much for the idea!!! I just might end of having to do it since time is so limited for me. [I'm going away this weekend too @_@]

aww man you HAVE to show me your Queen of Hearts costume!!!!! =OOO!
    I'll let you know what brand I use, I think it's Tulip? It's a spray on, but if you pour it out, it works fine with a brush.
    Glad I could help! Okay, hmm, I need to find the pic...it's pretty epic.

edit: Click HERE for my pic.
    Last edited by Colorized; 02-23-2010 at 10:08 PM.
    blogtwitterdeviantart

some cool cats:

Great, thanks so much! =D!
    HAHA, I actually just looked up the threads you've written [because I'm a curious type of person like that] and saw your MTOTP report, and the dress [although the pic you posted here is like, ten times the epic--glad you got to see her!] =D YOU DID A WONDERFUL JOB, love the lace ;3 and thatsa clever lil scepter ya have there, ma'm. Used for holding cell phones---ingenious!

Great, thanks so much! =D!
    HAHA, I actually just looked up the threads you've written [because I'm a curious type of person like that] and saw your MTOTP report, and the dress [although the pic you posted here is like, ten times the epic--glad you got to see her!] =D YOU DID A WONDERFUL JOB, love the lace ;3 and thatsa clever lil scepter ya have there, ma'm. Used for holding cell phones---ingenious!
    Yesss. I never finished that trip report, because my trip reports aren't ever that popular...thank you, dear (you're older than me...but still). Yeah, I though it was pretty clever too. It was fairly simple - styrofoam, glittery foam, velcro, ribbon, hot glue gun...okay, it doesn't sound simple, but it was easy to do.
    blogtwitterdeviantart

some cool cats:

i'll take your word for it! XD

okay, I'm done, and I'm not exactly too thrilled with results because I could only get the things I needed [like fabric paint, shoelaces, black lace] till Friday, and then we went down to San Diego on Saturday. And the whole thing was due on Sunday. Major rushing on my part. I still wish I could have done embroidery because the fabric paint came out thick so I had to make the pictures big LOL. but at least it was fast! 8D Heaven bless hairblowdryers.

I didn't get any in progress shots except for these boots LOL. sorry, no time D8 i was just blasting Alice in Wonderland on my TV and working and working.

and complete costume! sans the gloves and necklace, sorry, i forgot to include those. XD but you probably wouldn't be able to see it anyways.

yup, fabric isn't even close, and the paint job is sloppy =D but it was a wonderful back breaking experience.

now for some pics, thanks to my wonderful brother and the UCSD campus!

yeah the wig is completely off too, but it was either that or long, jet black stick hair XD i spent as little money as possible because it was just a little project for fun...and for the yearbook HAHA.

curiouser and curiouser.

queen of SPADES D=

they had a ginormous chair that was wonderful for pictures but scary to climb down, just because i couldn't see, and i didn't want to rip my dress XD

such a little redheaded Asian @_@

well, no one can say I'm a serpent now. 8D

AND THE END. this was incredibly short. XD but thanks for viewing anyways XDDD

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Wow that turned out pretty nice!

Maybe you can enlist the local beauty school to help you style the wig. Would be good practice for them and their prices are usually dirt cheap too compared to a regular salon.

Great job! Love the pics on the giant chair.

Thank you guys so much! =3!
    Oh, that's a great idea about the wig! I'll have to look one up! Thanks for the tip!!!

• Merry 2014!

Quote Originally Posted by Colorized View Post
    I'll let you know what brand I use, I think it's Tulip? It's a spray on, but if you pour it out, it works fine with a brush.
    Glad I could help! Okay, hmm, I need to find the pic...it's pretty epic.

edit: Click HERE for my pic.
    Epic doesn't do it justice! So talented!

Vidia, you are so clever! And talented!

fun thread, thank you.
    Sig by Poisonedapples!

oh wow, no THANK you =D! I'm flattered and humbled.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast