• M's mommy

Suggestions please

So I dont know what to do, with the scarcity of jobs and with a baby at home I can't afford to quit my job.

I love my job, and the people I work with, but with the changes in upper management I find myself overwhelmed and quite upset. I used to get along and enjoy working with the now VP. But he is doing things that have reduced me to the bottom, and I feel like he is out to get me, either to have me quit or to push me over the edge. I have been very upset and I have even begun to have anxiety attacks at work. It is getting so bad that I am dizzy when I am here. I guess the thing that irks me is that I feel like they reduce me because they think I am worthless because I am not a fancy journalist, but I have a degree in sociology and I am completing my second degree....so its not like I am an idiot. But that is what I feel like.

So far, being the admin I have had to remove all my personal stuff......this includes my two special Disney pics. I then had to remove all personal items, (lotion, gum etc.) away from my desk. Now that wasnt too bad....except that the other admin has her desk FULL of pics of her newborn grandson, and of pics of her life plastered all over her place. Now he asked her to tell me to remove this cube thingy where I kept the majority of the important university stuff. Things that I use on a daily basis. So I had to make room in my drawers....and they are not too big. So its a mess. And he removed my cubicle walls.....almost like I am now open from all sides and I have NO PRIVACY and NO IDENTITY.

I feel like crap.....and I am feeling so unwelcomed and sick of being here. I dont know what to do.....or who to talk to.

I just had a little meltdown in the bathroom, and I am having trouble controlling myself. I dont know what to do, but I do know its is making me sick physically and mentally. I already spent time at campus health and the md put me on paxil.....he asked me to speak to my work and see what can be done. The thing is we just hired the second in command and I dont know if I am strong enough to speak to my boss without expressing all the negative emotions I am feeling now. I am trapped here and I need your guidance please.

• I see mouse people

Blog Entries

Re: Suggestions please

I think most of us have moments like this, whether it's due to situations at work or at home. I'm having a similar day myself.

It sounds trite, but really try to ignore all the petty 'space' issues. It sounds like he's just asserting control and it will probably get better with time. For right now, I'd assume you probably really need this job and for that adorable baby's sake, try to hold it together. Know that it's unlikely any of this is personal. He may push you around a bit simply because you're younger than the other admin and he may secretly be intimidated by her.

I don't know what you have nearby for friends and family, or if you have people you can talk to. If you need someone to talk to, please feel free to PM me.

You're stressed right now I know. And there's no immediate 'fix all' answer. But talking to someone might help. Even if all it does it give you a chance to vent. :-)

Again, please feel free to PM me, should you wish. Hang in there, others have been there and come out on the other side and you can too. Give the little one an extra hug from me.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Mickey and 'Key

Blog Entries

Go to HR. Or go to his boss. What are the reasons for you being treated differently than the other admins? And the other admin isn't your boss - she can't tell you what to have on your desk and not. Esp. if you need it to do your job!

I REALLY hope that you are looking for a new job!!!

*hug*
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• rainy day girl

Blog Entries

So...why did they make you take down all of your personal items? And why did they take away your cubicle walls? I'm curious, it sounds like there's more to this story. Is this just a new company policy or are you being targeted?

Also, life's too short to spend doing a job you hate. I did it for years and had a nervous breakdown. Leaving that environment was the best thing I could have ever done for myself.
    Looking for the truth about giraffes? http://www.menacinggiraffes.blogspot.com/

• Hello there

Blog Entries

Did they just take down your walls or all the admin walls? Here, the admins are open as well. Are you who the people see first when they walk into the office, do you greet people? That may be the reason for wanting a clean desk. I am not sure. It depends on what your position is.
    If it seems mgmnt is targetting you, go to hr. They can't (shouldn't) do that. But it might help jut to ask why you need to remove your personal items and such when no one else is. There may be a reasonable explanation.
    Fratsor Sister - Delta Mu Chi Alpha

ΔΜΧΑ

• M's mommy

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse princess View Post
    Did they just take down your walls or all the admin walls? Here, the admins are open as well. Are you who the people see first when they walk into the office, do you greet people? That may be the reason for wanting a clean desk. I am not sure. It depends on what your position is.
    If it seems mgmnt is targetting you, go to hr. They can't (shouldn't) do that. But it might help jut to ask why you need to remove your personal items and such when no one else is. There may be a reasonable explanation.

I am the first person they see, BUT the other admin is directly across from me.....???? But she also said that she thinks its not cool that these changes are being made.

The funny thing is that he asked me if I needed storage for my stuff....but I told him no, because he wants me to buy storage stuff and put it under my desk......its all so odd.

And I think it is because the IT person, wanted all of us.....writers, and etc. to have our walls removed......but everyone complained and they got to keep theirs up....because they have to produce a lot of content and need their space. BUT again, since we are in the front the walls from my area came down, and I am open at all sides now.

AND.....NO ONE EVER comes to our office, not even the Pres. we go to them......unless someone needs us they come here. So its not like we are tied up with people. We are supposed to be centrally but we are far from the main campus.....so again not too many people come across to see us.

There isnt much more to the story.......I knew they were going to remove some walls, but I wasnt aware that my whole area would be out in the open.

And other people have noticed how weird and open the whole space looks so now I have to explain to them about why we have removed articles/newspapers.....forms....etc.

But I am now okay, I am feeling better, I am focusing on finishing up my second degree and then when I am done I am going to see what jobs are out there for the new degree.

I just had to vent....because I was upset and tired and I was angry but now that I have calmed down, I realize that my focus is to just be grateful I have a job and that I am able to continue working on my education, and thank you all for your nice comments, and your input.