Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Sharing a Paopu Fruit

Blog Entries

I'm so sick of dying my hair!

So about a year ago I dyed my hair black. I liked it, but I wanted to experiment so I went purple, and then red.

I've managed to do this all myself, with my husbands help, with dye bought at drugstores. But now I just want to stop dying it. I got it a lot lighter with the red, but when I tried to strut back to brown (natural for me), the red stayed reddish and my roots just got lighter.

Sigh. I can probably go get it stripped, but I don't have tons of money (part of the reason I want to go back to naturalis tge cost of upkeep). Has anyone ever done something similar? Any advice?

If I had only known before I dyed it black...

• Miss Teen Fresno of RCMC

Re: I'm so sick of dying my hair!

i remember when i was dye crazy and decided to stop, i kinda just suffered with having different colors roots, then when the natural color was long enough, i chopped my hair. plus washing and washing kinda helped too
    Quote Originally Posted by JungleCruiseFan View Post
    You know what they say- The party don't start 'til Jordon walks in.
    Quote Originally Posted by penguinsoda View Post

• is poppin' tags

Have you tried dyeing your hair a color very similar to your natural color and then getting a DEEP condition? The growing roots won't be so 'startling'.

Make sure to keep those ends trimmed to maximize the healthy look of your hair as well!
    For those of you that are curious about my wedding:
    http://www.rocknrollbride.com/2011/0...heather-tyler/

• Sharing a Paopu Fruit

Blog Entries

Yeah, I try to keep it pretty healthy. But tge problem is that my hair WILL NOT dye back to my natural color. I've tried that too, and each time it turns out darker than the darkest possible on the box. Perhapsim not using strong enough dye? If I could just get it close I'd let it grow.

Thanks for the help so far guys!

• is poppin' tags

Let it grow out for a couple months (pony-tails help keep you from looking like a freak )

Try consulting with a hair-dresser about your next step. If that's out of the budget (like it is for many), a good resource would be any beauty-school near you. I got lots of good advice from the student/apprentices at the Aveda school near me.
    For those of you that are curious about my wedding:
    http://www.rocknrollbride.com/2011/0...heather-tyler/

• Sharing a Paopu Fruit

Blog Entries

Thank you!

• Disappearing/Reappearing

yeah, definately try a beauty school.

Or, conslt your local beauty store. Sally's is always full of helpful information.

I have a similar problem, in that...I dyed my hair brown and want to dye it back blonde. I figured out that I was using a regular brown color which wasn't neutralizing my red tones. So, when I dyed it blonde..it came out orange. So, I dyed it with an ASH brown...and then used some stuff a Sally's consultant led me to. It mixes with your hair dye and kills the red. Red X is the name I believe. Real cheap...but, seems to work. My hair is not orange...but, still a light brown. I'm working up to the blonde now by continuing to use that stuff...AND a Ash blonde. Ash kills red.

Good lluck!

• Cake Anyone?

I agree with Stitchy and go to a beauty supply store. I dye my hair black and my natural color is gray so I understand trying to juggle two colors. Talk to the beauty supply store about using a temporary or semi permenate color to help with the root situation until your hair has a chance to mend. My hair is so fine that I can use brown color and my hair will still turn back to black when I dye it. Sounds like you hair is over processed and needs a break.
    Taking contributions to get me back to Disneyland!

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Try a local beauty school. The first time I dyed my hair black, I got bored with it after a few months. I went to a local beauty school (a certified Redken academy) and they put in heavy highlights to bleach out the color, then put toner on it in a brown shade and it looked pretty good. The price? $62... and that included a hair cut too! If I had had all that done at my regular salon, it would have been around $150, if not more. Give one a call, explain your situation and see if they can give you a price quote.

I'm dying my hair black again now, but now I use professional color I get at the local Sally Beauty. I know how to mix color and developer (pretty simple really) and it's better for your hair than box color (which is progressive color and can ruin your hair if you use it enough).

I've been dying my hair since I was 18 (I'm in my mid 30's now). Even though it can be a pain, I can't stop because I've been getting grey hair since I was 17 and from what I've seen from the roots that grow out, I have a ton of grey hair now (ewww!).

• Sharing a Paopu Fruit

Blog Entries

Great suggestions guys! Thanks again!

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • with sprinkles, please

Blog Entries

This is why I quit coloring this year. My hair is all silver now and I just let it go. Mine started turning gray when I was 19. It really is a relief not having to fuss with it after 20 years of coloring!
    A signature should go here.

• rainy day girl

Blog Entries

I suggest splurging and getting it done professionally, just this once. I had a hair dye mishap and ended up with dark and light spots all over my head, and I had to go to a professional to fix it. She did a great job, and no one ever knew about the mistake. After that I was able to do it myself again...(until I developed an allergy to hair dye )
    Looking for the truth about giraffes? http://www.menacinggiraffes.blogspot.com/

• Miss Teen Fresno of RCMC

omg i feel so sorry for you all that get gray hairs before you're even 20.
    Quote Originally Posted by JungleCruiseFan View Post
    You know what they say- The party don't start 'til Jordon walks in.
    Quote Originally Posted by penguinsoda View Post

• Disappearing/Reappearing

LOL. One of my best friends in high school, had a streak of grey hair.....right in the middle of her dark brown hair. She looked like Rogue in Xmen. LOL. She hated it, and would try to dye it...but, the dye wouldn't stick. We all loved it and thought it was adorable.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Quote Originally Posted by GummiBears_Rock View Post
    omg i feel so sorry for you all that get gray hairs before you're even 20.
    One of my cousins went totally grey before he turned 30. He dyed it for awhile, then let it go, but the started dying it again after he got tired of the "old man" comments. He'll be 50 in July.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast