Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Circle of Ancients

Have you ever had to deal with hostility in the work place?

If so , what did you do?
    Last edited by Princess Buttercup; 05-13-2010 at 09:04 PM.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • with sprinkles, please

Blog Entries

Re: Have you ever had to deal with hostility in the work place?

Wow, she sounds crazy! I think for now, do nothing. I'm sure you'll find out more tomorrow, but hopefully you can just sit back and watch her self-destruct and you won't have to do anything. Best of luck!
    Last edited by SusieP.; 05-12-2010 at 06:28 PM.
    A signature should go here.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Arizona's own

Blog Entries

Personally, I would let your boss continue to go to bat for you. Otherwise it may appear that you do not follow chain of command. Your boss knows what is what and sounds like he is in your corner. Just continue to do your job as you have been and let the other woman hang herself out to dry by making false accusations.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pratt55 View Post
    Personally, I would let your boss continue to go to bat for you. Otherwise it may appear that you do not follow chain of command. Your boss knows what is what and sounds like he is in your corner. Just continue to do your job as you have been and let the other woman hang herself out to dry by making false accusations.
    I agree with Pratt (who wouldn't? ) If your boss knows, and everyone seems to agree with this person's demeanor, I'm sure everything will work itself out.

Sometimes working with difficult people can be more trying than it needs to be. I'm having one of those days too actually, so I know where you're coming from.

Hang in there, I'm sure they know how awesome you are, and if you just won props for your customer service, then they know you're a great worker too!
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

• MiceChat Moderator
    • I'm back! Sorta...

BP, we know you are awesome enough and this is obviously something petty for something quite imagined on this person's part. Look at it this way. In my swirl of philosophies, I've always accepted the idea that anger is a facet of fear. This woman is angry with you, for whatever reason exists in her mind.

So basically, she's scared of you.

Perhaps you intimidate her in some manner you have no idea of. Perhaps she sees you in a way that's totally wrong. And, as the great Bard, Shakespeare, stated, 'kill her with kindness.' Smile and be as great and nice and sweet as you have always been. Continue to be that person you are so that she can't find fault.

Not that she ever could.

In the meanwhile, do cover yourself in a safety net. I'd recommend keeping a journal of snippets of incidents at work with dates. Doesn't have to be perfect, but with it, you'll be documenting moments should need be. Your boss is obviously smart and on your side. Still, things happen. Let the dust clear a bit and return to your boss and say, "I'm uncomfortable with this incident and I'm concerned about the effect it will happen on my position here---what do you recommend I do?" It shows the trust you have in them and continues the bond. And when recommendations are made, if you agree, say so and follow through.

I'm in a situation very, very similar to yours. I arrived at my first job this past September, my first position after 17 years at another school. I kept my nose as clean as to appear crystal. I didn't want to make waves, since my former position was also my ONLY other job.

And then I met the speech teacher. Within three weeks, she had called all of the parents in my case load and recommended that their students be place elsewhere. She told them what a horrible job I was doing and that I was hurting their children's education. I had several angry parents wanting me to explain myself, via phone calls and emails. All had one common factor. They all mentioned that the speech teacher had contacted them with details.

She only sees the kids once a week. For less then thirty minutes.

I was shocked, I didn't know where to turn.

And I did what I'm recommending to you. After approaching her, (she denied all the things the parents were telling me, mentioning they were sadly mistaken and I was inventing these tales to discredit her) I went to her superiors and told them what happened. The situation did escalate as I noticed she was pulling students she didn't work with for 'basic observations' and I did not approve.

And I started keeping a journal...on my cell phone! It was always with me so it worked out.

I felt bad, too. This woman was being backstabbing to someone she did not know but yet felt compelled to destroy. It was, well, weird. Out of the blue.

I hope this makes sense. I know you're a great gal and it bothers me that someone would do something like this to you. Pratt and I can come out there and also rough them up, if you'd like...but does violence really solve anything?

Let us know what happens.

Peace, my friend, hang in there!
    Roo

PS: In a sad piece of irony, I was handed the woman's evaluation to fill out last week---she had no idea I was going to be the one who reviewed her. She showed up after I got the paperwork with cookies in my classroom.

Interesting how things work out. I did, believe it or not, write her a, well, good review---but I was bluntly honest, using details from my journal...with dates and times.
    husband, petowner, wordsmith, imagineer, martialist, playwright, traveller, ardent, wit, critic, barista, Taoist, superhero, fortuneteller, reader, fidget, teacher, dreamer, author, blogger, ghosthunter, voter, patient, bear, gourmand, Floridian, friend

• Circle of Ancients

Thanks for your support and please know that I have your back any time you need it too!
    Last edited by Princess Buttercup; 05-13-2010 at 09:04 PM.

• no flash photography...

yeah, I quit....and at another job I filed a complaint and it stopped. I made damn sure I was doing my job to perfection and better than everyone else after that. I did not want to give them any ammunition to use against me, but that one worked out.

The job I quit I knew I could not change and I did not want to deal with it. It has gotten much, much worse there. I'm very happy I quit.

• Circle of Ancients

Bottom line though, is there's no reason for hostility in the work place even if someone does make a mistake since we're all human and therefore all make mistakes sometimes.
    Last edited by Princess Buttercup; 05-13-2010 at 09:05 PM.

• Sharing a Paopu Fruit

Blog Entries

I totally hear where you're coming from.

I had a supervisor once who had her "favorite", and made life a living heck for the rest of us. The sad part was, the managers had no idea what she was doing, and she always did it on the "downlow" so that she wouldn't get caught.

I was so glad when she quit.

Come to think of it, I had another boss at another job that was dumb as toast. Within a week at that company I was correcting her mistakes. She didn't know how to add (and I am not being sarcastic. She couldn't even add single digit numbers, calculator or not. I was constantly correcting her math). There was this time that I had bronchitis, but I came in to work at the boss's behest and was doing my best just to stay AWAKE so I could keep working. Well, halfway through the day she pulled me out of the office and gave me a talking to. You see, my productivity wasn't as high as it usually was, and though she understood I was sick, she told me in no uncertain terms to...ahem..."step it up" (to put it nicely). Her reasoning? She was going on vacation the next week, and she really needed to make sure we didn't stay late so that she could go home and get ready. How sweet.

So sorry that you had to go through so much frustration at work. I know your pain!

• no flash photography...

Quote Originally Posted by CinderellaStory View Post

I had a supervisor once who had her "favorite", and made life a living heck for the rest of us.
    I had a manager like that once. She actually fired me for arriving to work late after my car broke down. I showed the repair bill to the district manager and I was reinstated with full pay for the time I had been "fired". They moved me to another store.

The funny thing is there was theft going on in her store. So, the company installed cameras without her knowledge and caught her doing sexual things in the store with other employees...yeah, she got fired. LOL

This was years ago. I quit that job after getting robbed at gun point.

• Sharing a Paopu Fruit

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SCUBAbe View Post
    I had a manager like that once. She actually fired me for arriving to work late after my car broke down. I showed the repair bill to the district manager and I was reinstated with full pay for the time I had been "fired". They moved me to another store.

The funny thing is there was theft going on in her store. So, the company installed cameras without her knowledge and caught her doing sexual things in the store with other employees...yeah, she got fired. LOL

Wow, that is awful!

•   
    • At one w/ our Disneyness

Sorry this happened to you PB, HR gal needs to be canned. Hopefully Exec Director sees this also.
    Just countin' the days til the next visit!

• I see mouse people

Blog Entries

Everyone before me has pretty much covered this but what I'd say is wait it out and don't be hasty. Your boss knows the truth and it sounds like he's really stepping up and making sure no one thinks you did anything wrong. It's entirely possible she may end up in some serious trouble.

Having said that, I know that knowing you're right and even knowing your boss is backing you still doesn't gloss over the fact that you were pretty much verbally attacked by a scary co-worker. Time will help calm your nerves

I've had a hostile co-worker or two. One was a guy who was the manager of a store where I was the Assistant Manager. He was fine until the owners tried to give me my own store and then he started getting petty and accusatory. One morning he came in half an hour late and started harassing me about not finishing the opening routine by myself. In front of a customer I was helping. So I said "if you don't like it, why don't you fire me?" And he did. In hindsight, I should have handled it differently but I was stressed from working while going to school and taking care of both my parents and my best friend who was dying of AIDS and I just couldn't take anymore.

I hope this resolves itself soon. Will you let us know what happens next?

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

I had a hostile coworker at my last job. This girl was totally out to get me and another girl I worked with. She had the owners of the company so snowed it was ridiculous. I caught her writing false info on her timesheet (saying she only took 30 minutes for lunch instead of the NEARLY TWO HOURS she was gone one day), so I mentioned it to the owners, and *I* was the one who got yelled at. WTH?

And if that wasn't enough, she constantly accused myself and my other coworker of giving her lip when it was the complete opposite. My other coworker and I would go out for coffee or whatever after work and would fantasize about plotting her demise. We deeply despised this girl because she single-handedly destroyed the good relationship we had with the owners. It was just plain bad.

The owners finally wisened up and stopped playing favorites and fired her (and we literally did the dance of joy after work that day). Think that would restore the balance and things would be ok again? WRONG! The owners turned into a couple of uber micromanaging egos of mass destruction. They would flip out over the tiniest little mistake and about drove me to a nervous/emotional breakdown even though I busted my *** for them for nearly 2 years (I was the first outside person they brought into the company) and how did they thank me? They fired me! They fired my other coworker later down the road too, but for awhile she was my "mole" and would tell me the latest gossip of who we started calling "Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum". The best gossip she gave me was when she told me the girl they hired to take my place lasted less than 2 months... because she wisened up to how crazy they were and walked out on them.... literally walked out saying, "I'm done. I quit. You guys suck." BRAVO!!!

Oh yeah and then they tried to fight my unemployment claim, making up a bunch of stories that weren't true. The lady from the unemployment office called me and once I gave her my side of the story and told her I had a former coworker who would vouch for me... they approved my claim... and even she admitted they sounded a little crazy.

But you know what? Those nutjobs firing me ended up being a good thing because less than a month later I got a job at where I still am 3 years later and I am totally irreplaceable there.

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by SCUBAbe View Post

Ewwwww!

and

Eeeeek!

Quote Originally Posted by aimster View Post

But you know what? Those nutjobs firing me ended up being a good thing because less than a month later I got a job at where I still am 3 years later and I am totally irreplaceable there.

Yay for your happy ending!

Ending this on a positive note, one of the ladies who recommended me for the award I got yesterday told me that she had written down that I had made a cute card and written a nice note to a resident whose best friend passed away. I made this card back when I was designing my shirt for the Gumball Rally and I had used one of my little Bubble Bee decals on the card and written "Bee Happy." It's really nice to know that something that was special to me was also special to her and made a difference in her life!
    Last edited by Princess Buttercup; 05-13-2010 at 09:06 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast