• formerly PretzelSouls!

Contacts and Cosmetics?

Hi everyone,

Well...I've been wearing glasses for about two years now, and when I went to my Optometrist on Tuesday, I decided to make the switch to contacts since I was getting so darn fed up with the hassle of glasses. I pick up my contacts on Tuesday afternoon.

Anyways, are there any rules regarding contacts and cosmetics? Obviously it's a bad sign when you get any foreign object in your eye...but what extra precautions do I need to take? Any brands of make-up not to use when wearing contacts?

Thank you!

Sarah
    "Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've imagined." -Henry David Thoreau

• ....whatever....

Re: Contacts and Cosmetics?

You need a good mascara,the cheaper kind flake(into your eyes).

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

I've been wearing contacts for almost 20 years and I haven't had any real problems concerning makeup (and I LOVE eye makeup the most). But yeah if you do mascara, you need a good kind that's formulated for contact lens wearers. Luckily most mascaras take that into consideration these days, but it never hurts to read the labels and ask like at Sephora as they can give you recommendations and all that.

• Mrs. J. Depp

My mom uses Physicians Formula products on her eyes because her Opthamologist recommended it, saying that they are non irritating for contact wearers and also budget friendly.

Facebook me!
    Join in the Disney fun at MyVMK!

• no flash photography...

I have always worn whatever make up I wanted to when I had to wear contacts...and we're talking 80's makeup complete with lining the inner eyelid. They were fine. I would not even worry with todays contacts. They' are disposable. I had to keep mine for a year. (I have since had corrective surgery)

My daughter wears contacts...she changes them once a week and wears whatever makeup she wants.

• formerly PretzelSouls!

Thanks everyone! That's a lot of good information right there! I checked the labels on some of my products, and everything seems like it will be ok.
    "Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've imagined." -Henry David Thoreau

• Disneyland History Lover

Certainly be sure you're not wearing dollar store makeup. I mean, I know it's cheap, but still.

I'm not the kind who likes to overspend money on makeup. I mean, I love makeup, and I like being creative with it as it's totally a form of expression, but I've found that you can create a lot of the same looks with department store makeup as you can with the higher-end stuff if you know how to do it right. Probably the most annoying thing is getting mascara in your eye or on your contact. Aside from that I've not had any other issues with eye shadow or eyeliner.

I know most contact manufacturers say to put on your make-up before your contacts, but I've never been able to follow that. I mean, how can you see your make-up if you need glasses or contacts to see? lol

Quote Originally Posted by Princess Victoria View Post
    I know most contact manufacturers say to put on your make-up before your contacts, but I've never been able to follow that. I mean, how can you see your make-up if you need glasses or contacts to see? lol
    Thank you! I never got that "logic" either. I'm blind as a freaking bat without my contacts/glasses (I'm so near-sighted it's laughable).

And yeah as long as you're careful when applying everything carefully, you'll be fine. And this is coming from someone who will wear 4-5 different shadow colors at once when the occasion arrises.

• A Weather Eye Open

i used to be so puffy in the morning that i couldn't get my contacts in (astigmatism contacts are bigger in diameter, making it harder) and had to stop wearing them. I think if i wanted to again, i would figure out a morning routine to de-puff my eyes first, get my contacts in, wait until i was sure my eyes wouldn't water up, and then do my makeup. just my two cents; don't know if others have had the puffy-in-the-morning problem.
    "And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by" (John Masefield)

To de-puffy your eyes, soak a couple green tea teabags in cold water, then place the bags on your eyelids for 10-15 minutes. Cucumber slices help too.

• rainy day girl

Blog Entries

Also a great de-puffer, Garnier's de-puffing eye roller. It works FAST.

I wear contacts and have never had any issues with my makeup at all. Not even mascara.
    Looking for the truth about giraffes? http://www.menacinggiraffes.blogspot.com/

• Now 40% less bitter!

I remember reading once that lengthening mascara is bad for contact lens-wearers, because the lengthening fibers flake off and can fall into your eyes. I switched to a different mascara and that issue went away for me, but I'm using a lengthening mascara again (the L'Oreal one in the green tube) and I haven't had that problem.
    There's too much risk of getting make-up on your lenses, so put those in first. And be careful what you dry your hands on when putting your lenses in. Denim fibers from your jeans of fuzz from your towel are like fire if they attach to your lens and go in your eye.
    A good eye shadow primer ( I like Urban Decay's) will prevent your eye shadow from running into your eye and irritating your lenses for most of the day.
    Oo-de-lally!

• Scentsy Minion

Blog Entries

I've been wearing contacts for over 10 years and the only issue I've had was completely my fault - occasionally I'll slip while lining the inner eyelids (usually the bottom one) and get a little color on the lens. But a few blinks usually takes away most of it.

Other than that, no problems!