• ~*~Just a dream away~*~

New Puppy...need advice!! Help!

We got a 6 week old mini dachshund puppy today and so far I havnt been able to get her to eat or drink anything... is this normal for the first few hours at a new house or should i panic?
    ✶Dreams do come true!!!✶

Think of the Happiest things ... its the same as having wings

• Shifting cargo

Re: New Puppy...need advice!! Help!

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyDreams714 View Post
    We got a 6 week old mini dachshund puppy today and so far I havnt been able to get her to eat or drink anything... is this normal for the first few hours at a new house or should i panic?
    We got our dog 8 years ago and I honestly don't remember if she was hesitant to eat or not. It's a new environment and there are new faces surrounding your puppy. I would continue throughout the rest of tonight to try and get them to eat but if they aren't eating by tomorrow or the next day, I'd consult a vet.

"Well I don't know about you folks, but it's way past my bedtime."

• Guardian Construct

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyDreams714 View Post

I know its illegal to sell but i think but I am not sure it might also be illegal to purchase a puppy under 8 weeks of age in California. One of the reasons is they need time with mom to learn basics and to fully wean to solid foods.
    If you are feeding dry food soak it in some puppy replacement formula so its mushy and warm this usually helps. If you are feeding wet food warming it a little and staying close to puppy might help. some puppies like to be guarded as they eat so they feel safe enough to let their guard down and relax. Some like to eat in privacy so try them both.
    Small breed dogs like your puppy can get hypoglycemia very quickly if they dont eat fairly often. If it has been 24 hours and she has not eaten anything you will need a vet to check the puppy out. if you see vomiting or diarrhea show up and she still wont eat or drink you must take her to a vet right away.
    Hope this helps you out and good luck with your puppy. If you get a chance I would love to see a photo!

• MiceChat Moderator
    • I'm back! Sorta...

To be on the safe side, I'd call a vet immediately. Most puppies shouldn't be adopted prior to 8 weeks, as already stated.

Peace,
    Roo
    husband, petowner, wordsmith, imagineer, martialist, playwright, traveller, ardent, wit, critic, barista, Taoist, superhero, fortuneteller, reader, fidget, teacher, dreamer, author, blogger, ghosthunter, voter, patient, bear, gourmand, Floridian, friend

• Hello there

Blog Entries

I would take the puppy to the vet. She is a bit too young to be away from her mommy. Good luck!
    Fratsor Sister - Delta Mu Chi Alpha

ΔΜΧΑ

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • It's knittingknurse now.

Blog Entries

Awww...Yeah she shouldn't be away from her mom that young, but sometimes when they're the runt of the litter and getting neglected from mommy dog, it happens (that happened with the white dog in my avatar). With Gabe, the white dog, we fed him by hand. He seemed more than okay being fed individual pieces by hand. But he's a lab...

Oh heads up with potty training: The nurse's aide/nursing student found that keeping a pieces of paper that you time and date every time you feed, give water, or let the pup go potty (and document what it was) helps. We just made an In/Out chart documented it nursing style. It helped see trends and remind you to take the dog out.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Has nothing to do with puppies, but when I adopted my cat, JT, the shelter said he was 8 weeks old. I thought he was kind of small, so when I took him to the vet for his first checkup, they determined he was actually 6 weeks old when I adopted him. He'll be 10 next month and is perfectly normal... well normal for a cat.

• Guardian Construct

any update on the puppy I would love to know how its doing!