• Banned User

Red Face belly button piercing questions

alright so i got my belly button pierced today!
    been thinking about it for a while and just did it today with some friends but i got some questions.

they say to clean it 3-6 times a day with a salt saline spray i bought for 3-6 months.
    which i will do, do NOT want to risk an infection but I got some questions:

did you limit your self to swimming in pools?

how long did u stick to the cleaning rules? 3 months?...5 months?...a year????

when did u change out from ur first jewlry to the next?

I just wanna be careful and not risk infection.
    I do work at a pool, so im around water alot, however I always showr afterwards, and the chorline is kept high... idk some help would be nice thank you

• Mrs. J. Depp

Re: belly button piercing questions

I got mine 10 years ago so hopefully I can remember some stuff and help out. I washed mine about twice a day with Dial Antibacterial soap and then used Bactine on it multiple times a day just to keep it nice and clean. I was probably a little over board. I think I kept up the obsessive cleaning for about 6 months or so and then after that I just used triple antibiotic ointment which they tell you not to use, but all it does is help you heal. You should be fine being in the pool, just clean the piercing well when you are done and maybe keep your saline rinse with you so you can use it as much as you feel the need to. I don't really remember the first time I tried changing the jewelry, but I remember having to take it out for cheerleading competitions and it would partially close up and I'd have to force it back through the hole. Pretty painful, so try and avoid switching it out until you feel it is sufficiently healed, which should range from probably 6 months to a year.

Facebook me!
    Join in the Disney fun at MyVMK!

• Disappearing/Reappearing

I hate to tell you this....but, it may not matter how diligently you work to keep it clean.

When I had mine pierced, I was super serious about keeping it clean. Used the stuff the piercer gave me...kept it bandaged....did the rotate thing they told me about....used neosporin.

Nothing helped. It ended up horribly infected. I had to go to the doctor and take antibiotics. After that, I never had any problems tho.

You may be luckier....I am highly allergic to stuff like that. To the point where they considered cutting off my ear lobe at age 6 because it got infected when I had my ears pierced. So, I'm cursed anyway

Good luck!

• Disneyland History Lover

I've had mine for the last four years. I don't remember the details, but I believe the piercer told me to not remove it for a couple months. I actually went beyond that and didn't remove it for about a year. I remember cleaning it regularly with antibacterial soap twice a day and using saline on it two or three times a day for the first six weeks. I also did regular moving and rotating of it so that the skin would stay loose. It healed pretty quickly but it took me a bit to get used to it (I.E. snagging clothes on it, bumping into counters).

Four years later it's still good. I'll admit I've never publicly displayed it, but I do buy jewelry for it from time to time. I've heard stories that they can migrate out after several years. I don't know how common that is, but to be safe, I try and remove it for a couple weeks at a time every couple months. After a couple weeks when I try and put it in the whole is a bit tighter. I assume if you went a really long time (months, years) without putting it in there it might close up depending on how your body reacts.

Enjoy!

• no flash photography...

My daughter pierced her own and did not have any issues. I think it may just depend on a susceptible you are to infection.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

I've never had it done, but a girl I worked with a long time ago did and hers got infected so bad she had to get rid of it.

• Circle of Ancients

I have a question...how bad did it hurt to get it pierced and are you totally happy with how it looks?

I would have gotten mine pierced a long time ago except I have an un-piercable belly button.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Princess Buttercup View Post
    I have a question...how bad did it hurt to get it pierced and are you totally happy with how it looks?

I would have gotten mine pierced a long time ago except I have an un-piercable belly button.

If you ever donated blood, it feels like when they first puncture your skin with a needle and thats it. Slightly uncomforable but not painful. I was reallllllly worried it would hurt but laughed right when the piecer did it cuz it didnt hurt at all.

And I loooooooove it. I promised myself I would get it as soon as I lost enough weight so I would actully be able to show it off (if I ever wanted to) but yea Im happy.

It sucks to clean though. I do it about 3-4 times a day. Its a tiny bit red at the top of the piercing and I was worried about it being infected but I was told it can stay a lil red for a couple weeks becuase its in the primary healing stage.

• is poppin' tags

This reply is much too late to help you, Winter, but I'll toss in my 2 cents since I've seen some responses that are BIG NO-NOs for a fresh piercing.

First, you should be cleaning it at least twice a day (morning and before bed). You are welcome to clean it more often, but you should consider giving your body a chance to send some of it's white blood cells down there to do their job (fight infection). Keep in mind, when you wash away all the bad bacteria, you are also getting rid of the good guys!

Also, Bactine and Neosporin are not good for piercings. It says right on the packages : Not for use on puncture wounds. Liquid antibacterial soap is the way to go. Try to get something unscented and gentle. I've always used Dial, but it doesn't really matter. Saline spray (H2Ocean and off-brands) are good for removing the crusties, but you should not be using that as you main method of cleansing.

I would recommend removing the crust with the saline, then washing it with yer soap and water. Make sure you rince the salt out of there, as it may cause irritation.

Don't ever touch it (or let anyone else touch it) with dirty hands. ONly rotate it when you are cleaning it as well. Do'nt put bandages on it, the wound needs oxygen...it needs to breathe. It will heal faster that way.

Sadly, swimming in any body of water is just plain awful for any piercing. Pools, hot tubs, lakes, oceans, etc. are all off-limits for the first 3 weeks at least.

When I was apprenticing to pierce, my mentor told people not to change their jewelry until the pircing was visibly healed. Unfortunately, the navel is one of those with a longer healing period. You may have to wait 2 months. Everyone is different. If you have more questions, I would recommend calling the person who pierced you. You can also check out the APP (association of professional piercers) website: www.safepiercing.org for more info.

I'm only throwing this out there because I'm a big fan of piercings, and I want all of them to be a beautiful and pleasant as possible!
    Last edited by leopardchucks; 12-16-2010 at 11:33 AM. Reason: added more!
    For those of you that are curious about my wedding:
    http://www.rocknrollbride.com/2011/0...heather-tyler/