Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

Help! I have to cook!!

Okay, this year my mother has decided that she is no longer going to cook Thanksgiving dinner. Ok, no problem....I can do this.

I don't cook, I make a great attempt at it and usually end up with bland stuff. Now if I want my daughter to have a Thanksgiving I have to make it. Sooooooo I need suggestions from my good friends here at Mice Chat. Recipe links, how to make a turkey, how to make a ham, how to pick out the best ham, turkey (yes, I'm that pathetic) I can follow a recipe but I've never done anything like this before and I'm rather quite nervous about it.

Please help!

• Banned User

Re: Help! I have to cook!!

ohhh Sweetie!! turkeys are easy !
    Just buy a small one ( they taste 100% better) clean it good ( make sure its unthawed) insdie and out, then dry it. Set it aside and start the dressing. for you maybe you need to do a box dressing, so make that then stuff the bird ( inside the front) Make sure you have the turkey in a roaster and put water in it, not to much as your turkey will make plenty.
    Take heavy duty foil, and put two pieces together to make on wide sheet. The cover the turkey and make sure there is no openings. ( this insures the turkey self bastes and is very moist! ) thats it, a small turkey will take about 4 hours to 41/2
    next, fruit salad
    take 2 cands of fruit coctail, and drain all juice, let it keep draining and set aside. Take 3 banana's and cut them into slices, add cool whip and your fruit coctail, then dice up 1 or 2 apples. throw it all together and there is fruit salad.
    Now ,potatoes, you can make fresh or flaked, your choice. we do fresh some and flaked to.
    ok, now what else would you like to make?

• Banned User

or Summer you can forgo all this and go to a nice Buffet and eat all you want with no mess, I like this idea, mom does not

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

Whew, okay I warned you.

What's a roaster?

Have a recipe for ham? I'm doing the turkey as well but I like ham better so I will probably just get a small turkey.

Tell your mom I want to cook it, I can't eat at a buffet every year.

BY flaked do you mean the box flakes? I can't stand that, rather make home made mashed potatoes.

Let's see, here is what I want to make, your right, that might help. LOL

Turkey
    Ham
    Mashed Potatoes
    Gravy (anyone got any home made recipes?)
    Fruit Salad
    Rolls
    Pumpkin Pie
    Green Beans

That's all I can think of right now, if you have any suggestions I would be glad to hear it.

• Lights on Nobody Home

Quote Originally Posted by SummerInFL
    Okay, this year my mother has decided that she is no longer going to cook Thanksgiving dinner. Ok, no problem....I can do this.

I don't cook, I make a great attempt at it and usually end up with bland stuff. Now if I want my daughter to have a Thanksgiving I have to make it. Sooooooo I need suggestions from my good friends here at Mice Chat. Recipe links, how to make a turkey, how to make a ham, how to pick out the best ham, turkey (yes, I'm that pathetic) I can follow a recipe but I've never done anything like this before and I'm rather quite nervous about it.

Please help!
    Summer...something I did not know and you should if you are doing a turkey...there are 2 holes...the neck is in the bottom hole and the giblits and little baggie thing in the neck hole. I cooked it with that little bag still in it and it showed through the skin. I still get teased. Apparently most people know this and it could have just been me. I find the hams great. We always just turn on the oven and baste them occasionally with 7 up or sprite. I can't remember which. Sweet potato pie is a hit with DS. We do the layer of mashed sweet potato/brown sugar and mini marshmellows. Just bake it for a bit and that is it. I am not a cook and have bland food too. The funny thing is ...DS likes it that way because that is what he is used to. Have fun with your dinner and don't over do it. Spend a little time in the kitchen and the rest with your family.

• Nice Guy

Blog Entries

Check with your loccal markets and get an already prepatred dinner that all you need to do s warm it.
    >>Alan<<
    Member 216

• Just Me

My mom adds sliced onion and diced tomatos (you can get these in a can) to her green beans, just for something extra.

Hams are easy. Get some brown sugar and molasses. Poor molasses over the top of the ham and pat the brown sugar on it. I can't remember how long to cook it-maybe 2-3 hours. Or you can get a Honey Baked Ham (YUM!).

Dinner rolls are easy, you can get those already made and just warm them right before you eat. Try the ButterBall website for turkey cooking ideas.

A Roaster is just a large/deep pan to cook the turkey in. You can get foil ones (use 2 together to make it more sturdy). This way you don't have to wash them, just toss them when you are done.

Pumpkin pie recipies can be found on the back of the pumpkin can. You can get pre-made frozen pie crust to keep it easy. Or you can just place an order with Marie Calandars and go pick up the pies.

Most grocery stores have different items for sale in their deli area, everything from side dishes to the main course.

• Banned User

Ok, Ham lesson number 2

I love ham, and this is my recipe

buy a ham, any kind ( I do not buy the ones with the bone in yuck)
    ok, put the ham in a deep pan, and I put pinapple rings on the top of it with cloves thru it to. I add some pinapple juice over the top and bake .not sure how long, I go by taste

The rest is easy, boil the potatoes, when they are doen by forking them ( tender) drain, and put in large bowl, mash with masher ( or use beaters) add lots of butter and I add sego can mil to mine. yum!@

• Lights on Nobody Home

Roaster...either tinfoil or one of those black things you put a roast or turkey into. higher sides on it.

Gravy.

milk or broth
    1/2 cup flour or 1/4 cup cornstarch
    Butterball Turkey gibblets (if desired)

1. Pour l Turkey drippings into 4-cup measuring cup. Place 1/4 cup fat from drippings back into roasting pan or saucepan. Spoon any remaining fat from drippings and discard. Add broth or milk to drippings to make 4 cups.

2. Blend 1/2 cup flour (1/4 cup cornstarch) into fat in pan. Gradually blend in liquid until smooth. Bring to a boil, stir and simmer about 5 minutes. Add finely chopped cooked giblets, if desired.

Yield: 4 cups gravy

There are also mixes you can add a little for flavor if this is bland.

Quote Originally Posted by SummerInFL
    Whew, okay I warned you.

What's a roaster?

Have a recipe for ham? I'm doing the turkey as well but I like ham better so I will probably just get a small turkey.

Tell your mom I want to cook it, I can't eat at a buffet every year.

BY flaked do you mean the box flakes? I can't stand that, rather make home made mashed potatoes.

Let's see, here is what I want to make, your right, that might help. LOL

Turkey
    Ham
    Mashed Potatoes
    Gravy (anyone got any home made recipes?)
    Fruit Salad
    Rolls
    Pumpkin Pie
    Green Beans

That's all I can think of right now, if you have any suggestions I would be glad to hear it.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Disney4Me
    Summer...something I did not know and you should if you are doing a turkey...there are 2 holes...the neck is in the bottom hole and the giblits and little baggie thing in the neck hole. I cooked it with that little bag still in it and it showed through the skin. I still get teased. Apparently most people know this and it could have just been me. I find the hams great. We always just turn on the oven and baste them occasionally with 7 up or sprite. I can't remember which. Sweet potato pie is a hit with DS. We do the layer of mashed sweet potato/brown sugar and mini marshmellows. Just bake it for a bit and that is it. I am not a cook and have bland food too. The funny thing is ...DS likes it that way because that is what he is used to. Have fun with your dinner and don't over do it. Spend a little time in the kitchen and the rest with your family.
    ha ha ha I did this to the first time I cooked!!!
    my mother was mortified and would not eat the turkey. OH we young cooks hee hee hee

• Just Me

I usually get off easy-we deep pit a couple turkeys and a couple of hams. This year things are up in the air with the death of Hubby's best friend-the deep pit is at his dad's house.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • It's SisterP Time!

Blog Entries

I would recommend not stuffing your turkey if its your 1st time - its messy and makes things more complicated.
    I would suggest you do boxed stuffing separately on the stove. If you get cornbread stuffing you can just stir in pre-cooked sausage and a few diced apples. It's an easy way to dress up boxed stuffing. People will think you have a fancy recipe.

• Disney Memory Maker

Here are some links
    Recipes
    Recipes 2
    Tukey Tips
    Desserts
    “You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality.” - Walt Disney

• Banned User

Chuck it all, get on a fight and both you two stay here I will cook and we can put up the tre afterwards! oh and I will make you sing!!!

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

Quote Originally Posted by hakuna makarla
    Chuck it all, get on a fight and both you two stay here I will cook and we can put up the tre afterwards! oh and I will make you sing!!!
    *laughs* Now THAT would be a perfect Thanksgiving. I have one request though Karla. You gotta teach me how to cook and let me help.

Seriously, thanks everybody I do appreciate the information. I can do just about anything else but make me in charge of a big meal and forget it. LOL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast