Sold an item on Ebay..is the buyer lying?

A buyer won an item (obviously) and she messaged me this, explaining why she cannot pay:

"hello,my computer has recently crashed and i have no way of sending payment to you,i am actually sending this messege through a friends phone since i have no internet on my phone.i cannot send a secure payment though her cell as it keeps giving me an error messege,is there any way i can cancell this transaction?i dont ever do this and you can feel free to check my feedback.i allways pay quickly but in this case i just cannot as much as i want to.please send me the cancellation from to cancel this transaction so you can get youre final reviw fee back.please let me know,thnak you and sorry for any inconvienience this may have caused to you."

I messaged back saying to use a computer at a public library or asking if there was another reason she might need to cancel..IE can't afford, just doesn't want it..I asked her to be honest and let me know if she can get the problem fixed. She responded with the following:

"hi ther,i canot send check or money order as that is not allowed by e bay.also i did go to the public library that same day i purchased it and my paypal account is set up to only recognize my computer to protect my account from unathorized users,so when it didnt regognize the librarys computer it came me an error messege and just wouldnt do it.i also tried this with my friends and it did the same thing.i have tried everything with no resolution.im sure you can make a second chance offfer to the previous bidder before me and still get it sold.please understand my situation,thnak you"

I think she's full of you know what...what do you think?
    Next DL trip is in 2 WEEKS!!!!!

• Mrs. J. Depp

Re: Sold an item on Ebay..is the buyer lying?

I am a frequent Ebayer so I've pretty much seen everything. I would check her feedback. If it's 100% or close to it, I'd cut her a break. She's obviously communicating with you, not ignoring you. And I understand about the secured computers, that is absolutely true of some transactions, they can only be done from a personal computer sometimes to prevent hacking, etc.
    We never know peoples personal situations. Perhaps she's going through something she'd rather not share. Sometimes I'm far too lenient, but I can also see right through peoples crap. I give chances to those who I feel are sincere. So it's your call really. She says she has good feedback and that it's unlike her to do this sort of thing. If she made a habit of doing this, her feedback would be shot to hell. So I'd make the decision based on that.

Facebook me!
    Join in the Disney fun at MyVMK!

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

I agree with Izzy. If her feedback looks legit, I'd just cancel the transaction and move on. You are still going to get stuck with any listing fees, and relisting fees, but in the end it might be easier and faster to just cancel rather than try to fight it and drag it out.

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

I've been a seller (and buyer) on Ebay for a long time.

1st off: That's simply untrue that Paypal can't be accessed from any other computer but the one she had. I've done it many times.....So according to her, if she gets a new PC she can't use her Paypal acct?

2nd: Sounds like a case of buyers remorse to me.

3rd: Checking a buyer's feedback will get you pretty much nowhere ever since eBay changed their rules and sellers can't leave negative or even neutral feedback for buyers.

If it were me, I would insist that she follow through on her promise to pay for the item.

May I ask what the $$ amount was?

]

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

hi ther,i canot send check or money order as that is not allowed by e bay
    Uhhhh... since when? Before PayPal came into play, that was the only way you could pay for items won on eBay.

And yeah you can access PayPal from ANY computer besides the one you set the account up on. If you couldn't, you'd be royally screwed whenever you buy a new computer or laptop.

Either this buyer is totally full of it, or they're extremely internet-challenged.

Quote Originally Posted by aimster View Post
    Uhhhh... since when? Before PayPal came into play, that was the only way you could pay for items won on eBay.
    Yeah, eBay changed their policy on payments too, Paypal only. Guess who owns Paypal? So now Ebay gets a "listing fee" a "final value" fee and 5% off the top for Paypal's fee....

]

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Well that screws a lot of people who don't use credit or debit cards and don't want to store their bank account info online.

• down where its wetter

Sounds legit to me, all good people deserve a break once in a while
    If I had a dollar for every pair of sun glasses I have picked up..... I would have alot of wet sunglasses and a bunch of your money.

• Minion

If she hasn't paid, and you haven't sent the item yet, I don't see the trouble. I do however, if you have sent the item and she hasn't paid. You could very easily ask her to send it back. My advice would be as above, cancel and re-sell.