Thread: Holiday Dress

Holiday Dress

Hey ladies!

So I just found out for Christmas my family and boyfriends family are going to be traveling to Yosemite. We are also going to a very nice restaurant for Christmas dinner and I would like to buy a new dress. My problem is that I am short so a longer dress always ends up being a problem for me, but a shorter dress would just be to cold, I have very thick tights (black) that I plan on wearing but I need some help on dress suggestions that would good with the tights (and a nice coat of course).

I am 5'4" and have brown hair if that helps at all. Thanks guys!

(Yes I know its pretty early to be looking but since I am so small 100 lbs most dresses that I end up getting need to be altered and I would like to leave some time for that. )

Re: Holiday Dress

You could always check Nordstrom and other retailers online to see what's available.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Just go with the class little black dress, You can NEVER go wrong with one of those. It's perfect for ALL occasions (holidays, weddings, parties... funerals...).

• Miss Teen Fresno of RCMC

i say possibly all sorts of colors can work with thick black tights, just not like yellow or orange or brown.

i would love going for a jewel tone dress and black heels if it were me, and i would also approve of like a black or silver dress

and you could never go wrong with a little sparkle
    Quote Originally Posted by JungleCruiseFan View Post
    You know what they say- The party don't start 'til Jordon walks in.
    Quote Originally Posted by penguinsoda View Post

• A Weather Eye Open

black tights look good with almost any short dress... any color or style.

i am 6 feet tall, so most dresses that are supposed to be a mini or cocktail length are waaaay too short of me and look inappropriate... until i put on my black tights. i consider them a must unless it's hot weather.

for the holidays, i love a satin or sequin dress in a bright color or a metallic. holidays is really the best time to buy a dress (i always shop forever 21, since i'm not going to wear something like that so much that i'll wear it out or something). I think they'll start having the party dresses out right around the end of october or early november.

For shoes, I love heels, black or silver or gold (depending on the dress and how much ou want your feet to stand out). If I can't wear heels, like if I'm going to be walking in grass or climbing stairs (or i'm with short people), i wear dressy flats, especially the peep toe kind with a buckle and very short wedge that still make the "clop-clop" sound that heels make. I have a silver pair from charlotte russe that have held up great because i really only wear them for dress up occasions.

since you'll be wearing tights and a short skirt, i definitely recommend a trench length coat if you have it. If you don't have or want to buy a nice long wool coat, layer a cardigan or two underneath a cheaper one (i've seen them in the mall stores for like 30 bucks... they wont last longer than a season if you wear it a lot, but it's a great price, especially if you want a trendy color), and that will keep you plenty warm in the chilly wind.
    "And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by" (John Masefield)

Thanks everyone! I am hoping to stray away from black since I have a lot of it in my wardrobe and I think its time for something new

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

I have a TON of black in my wardrobe, but that never stopped me.

• Scentsy Minion

Blog Entries

Just did a little google search and found a nice selection of petite dresses on dillards.com

Women | Petite | Dresses & Special Occasion at Dillards.com

I think this one is adorable and would look cute with the tights: Product: Robbie Bee Petites Belted Floral Dress

This one's just plain pretty and elegant and classic: http://www.dillards.com/webapp/wcs/s...933&R=03390959

One question though - the restaurant is inside, right? How long do you think you're going to be outside? Would you be able to bundle up enough in a coat and scarf over your dress so you can make it from the hotel to the car to the restaurant sans tights?

• Found my prince!

^^That black dress was cute!

• ~*~Just a dream away~*~

Im even shorter than you lol im only 4'11!! Tights are always good, and something shorter would still be cute and warm enough if you are planning on wearing tights , i think something dark royal blue would look great!
    ✶Dreams do come true!!!✶

Think of the Happiest things ... its the same as having wings

Ann Taylor stores and Ann Taylor LOFT stores both have petite sections that have great dresses. I'm 5'3 and tend to shop a little more at LOFT since it's not too spendy. Their clothes have a kind of soft and tailored feminine look that I like for fall/winter. They should be coming out with more "holiday" clothes soon.
    Good luck and let us know what you find, and where!

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by Tigger_Twin89 View Post
    Thanks everyone! I am hoping to stray away from black since I have a lot of it in my wardrobe and I think its time for something new
    Since it's for Christmas, you could go with red and wear black tights. Or go for something sparkly.

Quote Originally Posted by Snookie View Post
    ^^That black dress was cute!
    I agree!

Quote Originally Posted by MissChristine View Post
    Just did a little google search and found a nice selection of petite dresses on dillards.com

Women | Petite | Dresses & Special Occasion at Dillards.com

I think this one is adorable and would look cute with the tights: Product: Robbie Bee Petites Belted Floral Dress

This one's just plain pretty and elegant and classic: Product: Jessica Howard Petites Party Dress

One question though - the restaurant is inside, right? How long do you think you're going to be outside? Would you be able to bundle up enough in a coat and scarf over your dress so you can make it from the hotel to the car to the restaurant sans tights?
    I didn't even think about Dillards! Those were both very pretty! I just moved into the big city and I have more options but I am still thinking in small town terms

And I was planning on buying an full length coat like someone else suggested, I am not sure yet how long I will be outside, but I tend to just run cooler than most (I am like a lizard!) so I will be wearing warm tights no matter what.
    Quote Originally Posted by jsdmn2 View Post
    Ann Taylor stores and Ann Taylor LOFT stores both have petite sections that have great dresses. I'm 5'3 and tend to shop a little more at LOFT since it's not too spendy. Their clothes have a kind of soft and tailored feminine look that I like for fall/winter. They should be coming out with more "holiday" clothes soon.
    Good luck and let us know what you find, and where!
    Thanks and I will

• Disappearing/Reappearing

how about a ameythest purple? I am very pale.....and most everything in my closet is black, too. I bought a very pretty purple dress for my husband's Christmas party...it came from Dillard's. So, I definately suggest you go check there. U can usually find great deals on their clearance racks for formals too.