Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Is HOME.

Sad HELP!!! Bedwetting Blues :(

My son was pretty well potty trained about 6 months ago. He did extremely well at night and during the day. Normally at home, daytime accidents don't happen, but when we go out of town, it's like he forgets to go potty. And lately he wets the bed EVERY night. I mean EVERY night!!

What should I do? We moved his potty chair closer to the bed, that didn't work. We cut the legs off the really cool bed my husband built him so it was lower to the ground and easier for him to get out of bed. That worked for a while.

Lately, until we get a heater for him, he has been sleeping downstairs in our room with his mattress on the floor because his room just stays freezing during winter. It is right next to the bathroom, but he still won't go in the middle of the night.

He even wets during short naps. It is like he isn't even trying!

I am to the point where I am ready to go buy diapers for him to wear during naps and bedtime. I hate that idea, but I am so sick of dealing with wet sheets and clothes every day.

Any suggestions??
    “In a world filled with hate, we must still dare to hope. In a world filled with anger, we must still dare to comfort. In a world filled with despair, we must still dare to dream. And in a world filled with distrust, we must still dare to believe.” -Michael Jackson

• MiceChat Moderator
    • It's SisterP Time!

Blog Entries

Re: HELP!!! Bedwetting Blues :(

TP - is he a heavy sleeper? My son had problems because he couldn't wake himself up to use the potty.
    We didn't add any stress to the situation. We just switched to pullups and the problem corrected itself after a period of time.

• most magical vaca ever

My son did the same thing.... He was potty trained and then we moved to a new apartment and he went back to wetting everything again. We had to go through the whole potty training routine again. He was almost 4 by the time we got him back on track. It was horrible- especially living in an apartment where we couldn't have a washer and dryer

Has there been any major changes in his everyday living lately?

Could be the excitement of the holidays too....

I would say to just stick with it and he'll get back to being trained.
    ~~~~~~

• @ DENIAL ISLAND

Wish you were here!!! Come on in the water's fine @ Club DENIAL

how old is he?
    have you tried cutting off the liquids 4 hours before bed?
    those goodnight pull up type underwear?
    My cousin had this problem with her daughter and after making sure it wasn't anything serious and after years of trouble they got the bed wetters alarm.
    It seems too soon for that but they do have help for that if you need it.
    Good luck
    aka Sara

One of my children
    isn't pictured,

ABE is still hibernating

• Waiting for the stork

Yes I have suggestions...but before I say them let me say my son is a bed wetter too (he's 6) so the suggestions I have have worked for my daycare families but not for my own son (It's like he's trying to prove that ol' mom's not as smart as she thinks...little bugger)

First off, how old is your son? Some children just don't have bladder control at night and they just have to grow up a bit, (and their bladder needs to grow too)
    I would not go back to diapers, that tends to be a bit tramatic, pull ups....maybe, but for my son it just made it easier (oh well I'm wearing this so it's ok to pee)
    a friend of mine (with a 3 year old) had great success having her son sleep in underwear with a pull up over that stopped leakes but he still felt wet (did not work for mine though)

what has helped T is he doesn't drink anything after 6 O'clock
    (2 hours before bedtime)
    he goes potty before bed and we wake him up before we go to bed...It helps, but it's not perfect...

I have more, but I have to start work now...Their at the door, so I'll reply later...
    procrastibating

• most magical vaca ever

We HAVE to wake up our 7 year old every night around 11 pm to go or she on occassion wets the bed too.... Since we don't have a washer and dryer in this apartment either I'd rather wake her every night instead of waking up to the mess. She is a VERY big water drinker so I think we may wake her every night until she gets married
    ~~~~~~

• Banned User

its a fact, some kids are heavy sleepers and also they do not have control of the bladdr when sleeping. I was a bed wetter, and I acually dreamed I was going potty and wet the bed! My boy was a bed wetter, until last year and I used pull ups. I saved my self the hassle of changing and washing bedding and also him getting all wet and upsetting him self. I bought pull ups, he was not embaressed and we slept well. There is some one on here on the board whos son is 15 and still does it occasionally. it happens and by saying the boy or girl does it out of spite is just wrong. I know that when I slept I did it with out knowing. My mom was always mad, but at 7 years old I did not wake up and there was no bladder control in my sleep. I stopped at around 8 but again I did not mean to and I did not want to!! ( I also did it occasionallly until i was 12 )deal with it, have your child go potty before bed, limit water and make sure they have pull ups and let it go at that. bed wetting has been thru may generations, now there's pull ups. there are also bigger pull ups for older kids. do not make a deal out of it, that just tramatizes the child, I never did worry about it with my son and slowly he stopped doing it. The key here is to not make a big deal out of it. the more you do the more it seems to happen.

• Minion

Our 4 year old had similar issues and here's what we did...
    1. Pullups at night. Careful with this one! Make it as positive a thing as you can so it doesn't seem like he's being punished.
    2. Have him go potty just before going to bed. This was huge and worked very well for us.
    3. Be patient! I think 80% of why it stopped for us is that she physically and mentally outgrew it.

Good luck!

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Pacha
    Our 4 year old had similar issues and here's what we did...
    1. Pullups at night. Careful with this one! Make it as positive a thing as you can so it doesn't seem like he's being punished.
    2. Have him go potty just before going to bed. This was huge and worked very well for us.
    3. Be patient! I think 80% of why it stopped for us is that she physically and mentally outgrew it.

Good luck!
    Amen!!! just like I said, do not make a big deal of it and have pull ups. Kids grow and learn with time some sooner then others. love, understanding and time works all things out.

• Just Me

With The Boy, potty training was rough. A couple of times he came close to being trained and then he would just stop. He was just short of 4 when he decided he would use the toity. He refused to even go near a potty chair. The frustratin part was when he went back to Childtime. He was back with one of his favortite teachers. His first day there he had 1 accident and then PoOf, that was it, but he still refused to use the toity at home. That took another month. Luckily I only had to use the Pull-ups at night for a while. I told him that if he could go 1 week without wetting during the night he could stop wearing the Pullup. It worked. Within 3 weeks he was totally trained.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

I can tell you what we did that worked for both of our daughters.

We had to do this for a few weeks and then we didn't have a problem anymore.

1. Cut the drinks out an hour before bedtime.
    2. Make him go before bedtime.
    3. Wake him up between 11pm - 12am and take him to the bathroom.

Obviously do those things in a nice, supportive way but make him go and for us, they stopped wetting the bed in a week or two.

If all else fails they sell this waterproof sheet at most mattress stores that won't let any moisture in. It cost around 40 bucks and was a life saver in the laundry department. You still had to wash the sheet but at least it saves the mattress.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Is HOME.

Wow- so many responses- thank you guys!

He's three and a half. I probaby wouldn't expect him to do so well at this age, except that he was totally potty trained for awhile and then reverted back.

Karla- I admit I am definitely guilty of making a big deal out of it. I will stop that right away. I actually noticed already that it might be getting worse and wondered if that might make him more nervous and do it more.

I have to go with some form of diaper- I cannot handle a pee mess every morning anymore!! But I will try pull ups.

DMof2- there has been a change in his life actually- my brother moving in with us and the timing does seem to coincide. I wouldn't have thought that might cause it, but since you brought it up, it is coincidental.

I already do have him go potty before bedtime and I always wake him up before I go to bed. But that was always enough before, he wouldn't wet the bed.

I will try your suggestions. My husband and I both get very frustrated with it. We need to chill out and remember he is only 3 1/2. I will get pull ups when I go to the store today, I think if we don't have such a mess to deal with, we'll take it better.

Thank you all- you guys are awesome!
    “In a world filled with hate, we must still dare to hope. In a world filled with anger, we must still dare to comfort. In a world filled with despair, we must still dare to dream. And in a world filled with distrust, we must still dare to believe.” -Michael Jackson

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by TinkPink
    Wow- so many responses- thank you guys!

He's three and a half. I probaby wouldn't expect him to do so well at this age, except that he was totally potty trained for awhile and then reverted back.

Karla- I admit I am definitely guilty of making a big deal out of it. I will stop that right away. I actually noticed already that it might be getting worse and wondered if that might make him more nervous and do it more.

I have to go with some form of diaper- I cannot handle a pee mess every morning anymore!! But I will try pull ups.

DMof2- there has been a change in his life actually- my brother moving in with us and the timing does seem to coincide. I wouldn't have thought that might cause it, but since you brought it up, it is coincidental.

I already do have him go potty before bedtime and I always wake him up before I go to bed. But that was always enough before, he wouldn't wet the bed.

I will try your suggestions. My husband and I both get very frustrated with it. We need to chill out and remember he is only 3 1/2. I will get pull ups when I go to the store today, I think if we don't have such a mess to deal with, we'll take it better.

Thank you all- you guys are awesome!
    oh hon, The pull ups are awsome and if you just put them in his drawer, and tell him to put them on before bed ( just before bed) and let it go all will be fine. we parents tend to make more out of it then it needs to be. if they ae wet in the morning he will take them off and put them oin the garbage. simple, no hassles and believe me, there is more then wetting to worry about. my kid put em on, when they were dry in the morning he put them back in the drawer and put them on the next night. I never said a word, and soon he was so happy because his pants were dry. he would scream " mom mom I am dry " I would scream " no way son thats awsome" we celebrated the dry, and did nto worry about the wet. I knwo buying them is a hallse but its so worth it for his self esteem and your sanity. I had a friend whos sister peed the bed so often the house smelled bad. there were no sheets on those days or pull ups, what a mess. we have modern things to lessen any problems and its self esteem we want our kids to have, not saddness and worry.
    I am so glad Tinkpink that you understand now. tell your hubby to not worry, my boys both were potty trained by 2 1/2 ( I have a nack at this ) wetting the bed is totally different then potty trained, it has to do with sleeping to hard, and also worry. I bet in no time he will be fine, and pull ups are cool when my son was dry for 2 weeks he said I do not need these pants no more mommy, so I took him out and he got new under ware. He picked boxers LOL! all is well
    Tell your boy, make sure that when you introduce the pull ups not to say things like "
    son these are for when you pee the bed" tell him son, I got you these cool pants so if you have an accident you will be ok and the bed won't get wet. we will use these until you are able to not need them any more. He will feel better and you will to

• My cuties!

Hugs to you Tink!! When is his birthday? My two are 3 1/2 too. My son isn't trained at night yet. I think you've been given some great advice here!

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Is HOME.

His birthday is April 17- day after mine!

I just picked up some Pull-Ups- Buzz Lightyear even, who happens to be his hero!! So we will start off fresh. I am going to make a calendar and every day he wakes up dry, he'll get a sticker, and for every five or so days, he'll get a new matchbox car- his favorite "treat"!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast