• Now 40% less bitter!

Does it bother anyone else?

I've noticed this for a while and only brought it up once a couple years ago, but has anyone else noticed how most of the Disney execs who are women seem to get a lot of negative flack on here, while most of the men get praised for the vast love and appreciation for Disney? I'm not saying some of it isn't deserved, but it's very rare when you read positive stuff about the female executives, and I find it quite disconcerting. Surely some of the gals have done some things right. There must be at least a handful of ladies in charge who are higher up on the corporate ladder who have as much of an appreciation for Disney as us lady Micechatters. Also, I'm sure they're still living. Does anyone know of any?
    Oo-de-lally!

• Senior Minion

Re: Does it bother anyone else?

Aside from Cynthia Harris, Sharon Morrill and Meg Crofton, I know of no female Disney execs in the public eye (Harris and Morrill are long gone), and none who get bashed on Disney fan forums. Eisner, Iger, Staggs, Rasulo and the P-Man Who Shall Not Be Named get a lot more flak because there have been more of them in high, publicly-visible positions in the Company.

It is obvious, however, that Crofton gets a different flavor of bashing than the male execs -- one definitely seasoned with sexism. Look at the language sprinkled throughout the Crofton threads in the Disneyland forum (here and here): there's a preponderance of calling her by her first name (a form of diminution; the male execs usually get bashed by their last name); use of the b-word (since removed by the moderators; the equivalent is rarely applied to the male execs); use of diminutive concepts ("let's boo her off the D23 stage and make her cry"; no equivalent applied to male execs); and the giveaway terms "this woman/that woman" (i.e. "who does that woman think she is?"; "who does he think he is?" is usually applied to males).

Mind you, I've bashed Meg Crofton plenty as an exec. But clearly, she gets additional, below-the-belt punches from many posters because of her gender.
    Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 08-03-2011 at 03:15 PM.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Future Cast Member

I've noticed guys getting more flack than girls. For example, Eisner. And when George Kalogridis signed on people were skeptical of him, just as they are of Meg Crofton, because of comments he said about California Adventure and things he did during his reign in Paris. I haven't seen any gender biases at all.

• Now 40% less bitter!

It isn't so much a matter of who gets more flack. It seems to me that men would probably win that one simply based on ratio. It just seems to me that whenever a woman is mentioned in the Disney media, it is followed by something negative, usually "she doesn't get it". It is quickly then followed up with a story about a gentleman who does get it because he's just a wonderful person who's worked for Disney since he was a teen. There are no nice things to say about the lady higher-ups at Disney unless they are deceased (such as Mary Blaire). Meg Crofton is just the latest. Previously there was Mary Niven and before her, Cynthia Harris (however, I totally agree that she wasn't Disney material). Apparently, Disney only promotes women who don't understand or even have the slightest appreciation for Disney. So, yes, it does bother me.
    Oo-de-lally!

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by ChessurInWonderland View Post
    I haven't seen any gender biases at all.
    I have to disagree. Gender bias is noticeable in many posts in the Crofton threads, particularly in those posts that attack her personally.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• is poppin' tags

Wow. I don't really stray too far into the business related Disney issues, but this thread title interested me. After reading Wiggins' first post, I'm quite alarmed. He very astutely pointed out several instances of sexism that were somehow ignored or *GASP!* not EVEN RECOGNIZED by mods or the MC community in general. Granted the B word was removed, thank Zeus, but those other comments are inappropriate and it is saddening. What makes it worse is that those types of remarks are prevalent in our society and can be considered the norm. When our society thinks that feminism is a non-issue these days because ladies can vote or have jobs, then our females will continue be marginalized on a regular basis. Thanks Mr. Wiggins! That was a thought-provoking post and I wish ALL the MCers would read it.
    For those of you that are curious about my wedding:
    http://www.rocknrollbride.com/2011/0...heather-tyler/

•   
    • Seasick

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    Mind you, I've bashed Meg Crofton plenty as an exec. But clearly, she gets additional, below-the-belt punches from many posters because of her gender.
    Very astute post. This double standard is present everywhere, certainly in politics. Something for people to think about. Criticizing Crofton is fine, but doing so in a sexist manner, not so much.
    My Micechat cruise trip report, Part 1:http://micechat.com/14795-disney-wonder/