Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Minion

Christmas Letters - Love them or leave them?

I was just thinking about this...

Who writes a Christmas letter - generic for everyone on your list?

Who writes individually to each recipient?

Who likes to receive them?

Is there one you look forward to receiving because it is so bad?

How about the most clever one you received?

MeiMei It's safe for me to ask this now, as I am done with my cards! hee, hee!
    Boo!

• Banned User

Re: Christmas Letters - Love them or leave them?

I love reading the christmas letters people put into there cards, my problem is I am not that big on hand writing and so I only wish for a happy holidays and send the cards off. I should write a letter, but when it comes time to do so I am to buisy or this year not up to it. So I just send a card with holida greetings. I love when people take the time to put a letter in, very sweet !
    I like funny cards, but I have a great sence of humor so I hate to offend anyone . a good card has a good laugh to it but a pretty card has great feeling put into it.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

People send Christmas letters? I think I have been deprived. LOL The most we ever get is cards but our family is very small.

• Incognito

Blog Entries

I send a generic "year in the life" one to a few family members and friends I never talk to during the year and thats it. I dont send it to everyone.

I actually love reading letters from people.

• Rally Vixen

Blog Entries

I have been wanting to do a letter, but I have a hard enough time getting my Christmas cards mailed each year! A letter would probably hold me back from doing the cards.

I write the person's name, the month & year, a salutation, and then sign the card for the four of us. For family members, I put in school pictures of the kids. That is about all I have the energy for.
    Anything listed on the park maps as an attraction is fair game for inclusion in the Rally.
    I cannot confirm nor deny the inclusion of any attraction in the Rally.

May the Gumballs Be with You...Always.

NO GOATS!

I find it odd that when people send a letter, they only write down the good things that have happened that year. It is like they are bragging and trying to make the rest of us feel inadequate......maybe that is just my family?

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

Quote Originally Posted by Churro
    I find it odd that when people send a letter, they only write down the good things that have happened that year. It is like they are bragging and trying to make the rest of us feel inadequate......maybe that is just my family?
    A nice healthy mix of good and bad would be a great letter! To many good and its bragging, to many bad and you become the "toxic" family member. LOL

• Incognito

Blog Entries

Not me, you get the good bad and ugly in my letters. Nobodys life is THAT happy.

• Circle of Ancients

I love getting Christmas letters.....they are all so unique and tell a lot about the families who send them. We always get a few of the "my kid is the world's greatest kid" letters but we don't mind because we know people are just letting us know how proud they are of their kids and I'm sure ours may come across that way sometimes too even though that's not how they're meant. Our favorite couple and my husband and I joked for a long time that we were going to send out Christmas letters one year telling about all the awful most embarassing things our kids had done that year....then one year we did it! LOL Now we just put our favorite photos of the year on one side of a page and a short blurb about the year on the other side of the page.

My husband has an uncle who sends us a 5-6 page letter every year...that thing is a chore to read!

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

Love them!
    I never send any... My parents include me with theirs, plus my life's so boring.
    Also, I send to friends who already know everything i did that year!
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• Island Paradise

Quote Originally Posted by Churro

I completely agree and I think my family is pretty darn adequate. Christmas letters are really the only thing I'm bah humbug about, with the exception of one friends letter. It's hilarious, well written and adorable. I think you really have to have a knack for writing to pull one of these letters off well.
    Last edited by evil mommie; 12-13-2005 at 12:58 PM. Reason: spell checking

•   
    • Prefect

Blog Entries

i totally agree about the ultra-positive letters. it feels like they're rubbing their good fortune & perfect life in my face. mentioning a couple of "life-speedbumps" makes for a much better letter.

personally, my life is too boring to do a letter. what would i say? "woke up today, posted on mice chat, changed out of my jammies around 3pm...repeat." right now i send out a few christmas cards with pixie kid's santa picture.
    <o>

• @ DENIAL ISLAND

Wish you were here!!! Come on in the water's fine @ Club DENIAL

I like the letters as long as they aren't to sugar coated. Positive is good even when life is crap but not bragging to much. It's nice to be able to catch up with those you don't see all the time. I keep then with the photo card. I file them by family in the order of the year. It's fun to re read them.
    aka Sara

One of my children
    isn't pictured,

ABE is still hibernating

• Pucker Up, Sweetie!

You know...for the past three or four years, I've actually gone to the trouble to type up Year in The Life of The Baileykat's letters...but that's about as far as they go...they are all still in the computer.

And I don't just add the good stuff...I lay it out there. Our lives are always changing...we've moved so much that we always have lots to report.

But I've never acutally sent one out...heck...I did good this year to even get cards to the mailbox.

It is nice however to pull up those letters every now and then and remember what was going on in our lives then...
    Us girls, we're so magical.
    Soft skin, red lips, so kissable.
    Hard to resist, so touchable.
    Too good to deny it.
    Ain't no big deal, it's innocent.

• Minion

Depends on who is sending them. I have one cousin who is such a braggart but we love making fun of her annual "toot the horn tome" and wouldn't miss it for anything.

I used to write notes by hand in the cards but switched to a computer letter which is a basic letter but then I personalize it using the recipient's letter from last year (if it's a once a year contact). It is composed to read like a personal note and hardly ever is more than 1 and 1/2 pages.

Mine are always a combination of the good and bad and I've never had anyone tell me that they didn't like hearing from me. We have a list of about 70 and I'd say almost half of those get a lengthy note or letter enclosed since it's the only contact we have during the year.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast