• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

Promise Ring Protocol

A promise ring, or a claddagh ring, in pop culture today is often given by a boyfriend to a girlfriend as a symbol of love. These rings were around before Buffy the Vampire Slayer (which made it really popular...not that I watched the show lol), and they were originally used as even wedding rings. Sometimes the rings are given with a promise today, or are just given. Either way, it's a rather sweet thing to give and have.

I've seen most females with a promise ring being worn on their left ring finger, hence their wedding finger. I'm wondering how you all feel about this? I mean it's a sweet guesture, and it is said that the left ring finger has a vein that goes straight to the heart...but do you all think that it is entirely...how shall I say this...proper to place it on such a finger when it's technically not a wedding ring? I'm not saying that it's a bad thing to do, but I'm wondering if perhaps the lover in question (that gave the ring) would feel uncomfortable about it? I don't know.

Plus, I might be the only person that thinks this, but I think it feels rather weird to wear a ring on your wedding finger! lol.

I'm also asking this because my boyfriend just gave me a promise ring (I'd been wearing one before on a non-ring finger, but I'd bought it for myself, and I just gave him the old one for him to keep), and it fits both my ring fingers. I'm not sure of his opinion on the subject yet, but I thought this whole thing might be interesting to talk about.
    Last edited by pineapplewhipaddict; 01-09-2006 at 07:34 PM.

• Rally Vixen

Blog Entries

Re: Promise Ring Protocal

Congratulations on becoming promised!

There is a protocol with Claddagh Rings. I will look for some official information, but I will give you generic information while I search.

Ring is worn on the right ring finger with the point of the heart pointing to the nail to show that a woman is available.

Ring is worn on the right ring finger with the point of the heart pointing to the wrist to show that a woman is taken.

Ring is worn on the left ring finger with the point of the heart pointing to the nail to show that a woman is engaged.

Ring is worn on the left ring finger with the point of the heart pointing to the wrist to show that a woman is married.

My engagement wring was a Claddagh, as we were poor college students. Being Irish, it had much more meaning to me than even a fancy diamond ring.
    Anything listed on the park maps as an attraction is fair game for inclusion in the Rally.
    I cannot confirm nor deny the inclusion of any attraction in the Rally.

May the Gumballs Be with You...Always.

NO GOATS!

• MiceChat Moderator
    • It's SisterP Time!

Blog Entries

Congratulations!
    I'm unsure of any protocol. I had a promise ring and wore it as an engagement ring. Course, by the time I had it I was already pregnant. By my bf was still finishing college and we did not become engaged until he finished college and my baby was a toddler.
    The promise ring diamond was tiny and the engagement ring grew. Then on my 5 year anniversary it grew another diamond band.
    I loved the promise ring - it started my growing blingage.

Congratulations! I hope you have many years of happiness.

Congratualations! When we first moved to our town 5 years ago and started going to church here I noticed that almost all of the girls at church 13 and over had promise rings on their ring fingers. I could not figure it out for the longest time. Finally, caught on that they got the rings from their fathers. They were promise rings to remain pure (I am guessing). And then when she grows up and gets engaged I think she gives the ring back to her Dad. Like I said I have never seen this until we moved here. Other than that we had a friend wear her promise ring from her now husband on a necklace, not sure why though.
    "You can't judge a book by its cover."
    "No, but you can tell how much it is going to cost."

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

Aww, thanks girls!

Thanks for the info, mamabot. I'm glad I'm supposed to wear it on the right hand...it's quite uncomfortable on the other. hehe

MNTGIRL - hehe, blingage. Well, that's certainly the best thing to do, I think. I have all these girlfriends that want these giant diamond rings from Tiffany's etc., right on the spot. Don't think they're being too realistic...what matters most is the love that you share with your partner, be it man or woman. The ring can grow in time...it's the thought behind it that really counts

poohnpiglet, that's something that I've never heard of before! Quite interesting...I wonder how truthful the daughters are being...I'd say that for the most part the dad's are just being overly hopeful

Oh gosh, I got so mad. My boyfriend and I have been together for over 2 years now, but...I don't know, his family is rather reserved with me...they don't take the relationship very seriously. Past my boyfriend, the nicest person in the family towards me is a more distant relative, and his father- he's a total teddy bear. The term "lukewarm" for his mother would be pushing it. It's weird, she goes out and buys me these really nice things, yet she continues to be cold towards me...I've never offended her in any way. I feel like I'm stepping on eggshells. Gah.

But anyway, when my boyfriend went out and bought the ring for me, the vendor told him that it was genuine silver. Later my boyfriend showed the ring to half of his relatives (he's got a big family, and they all went on a cruise), and they all told him that it was a fake. Obviously, when I came home with the ring, my mother and I looked for the stamp on it, and of course it's high quality sterling silver. I just don't understand why they have to beat everything down with us...

Oh well. It's a very nice ring. I like it a lot It's got a pink heart. I love pink. hehe.

• Rally Vixen

Blog Entries

You are welcome for the information.

Be really kind to your silver Claddagh. I bought one with a piece of green granite from an Irish store at Ghiradellie Square. The silver was thin and did not hold up well over time. Hopefully, he will replace it with a real ring in the future.
    Anything listed on the park maps as an attraction is fair game for inclusion in the Rally.
    I cannot confirm nor deny the inclusion of any attraction in the Rally.

May the Gumballs Be with You...Always.

NO GOATS!

• Waiting for the stork

congratulations....

I had forgotton about promise rings,

I never really had a promise ring, but my senior year of high school my boyfirend gave me a diamond ring (don't get too excited, just a simple inset ring) to wear ...he's now my husband so I guess it was a promise ring of sorts (we just didn't know it at the time) I wore it on my right hand, and a pearl ring that my parents gave me on my left.

Thanks for the memories, I had almost forgotten.
    procrastibating

Quote Originally Posted by pineapplewhipaddict
    I have all these girlfriends that want these giant diamond rings from Tiffany's etc., right on the spot. Don't think they're being too realistic...what matters most is the love that you share with your partner, be it man or woman.
    Y'know, I always thought I'd avoid marriage, that it just wasn't worth the hassle. I wanted a relationship, I guess, one that was worthy of marriage, but I never needed to make anything official. I wanted the love and caring, could care less about the ring.

Eventually, though, the time was right and we did get married. I did get my wish, though- the relationship was worth it before I said yes.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

Quote Originally Posted by alphabassetgrrl
    Y'know, I always thought I'd avoid marriage, that it just wasn't worth the hassle. I wanted a relationship, I guess, one that was worthy of marriage, but I never needed to make anything official. I wanted the love and caring, could care less about the ring.

Eventually, though, the time was right and we did get married. I did get my wish, though- the relationship was worth it before I said yes.
    Aww! hehe

Amen to love!

Oh, I didn't mean that getting married was unrealistic, if that's what you thought I meant...just that being with the person you love is more important than a giant engagement ring.

And I'm glad that I reminded you of a nice memory, Tinkerbelle