Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Wasn't Me!

I need your opinions!!

Ok, I need some help and direction here!!!

We will be moving into our brand new condo in a couple weeks. I am extremely excited!!!!!

However, I do have a concern!! In the entry way and kitchen we have hardwood floors. But in the rest of the place we have a VERY light carpet!! It is a cream color berber carpet, almost white. It is BEAUTIFUL and I want to keep it that way!!

Here is my delima, do you think it is rude to ask people to take their shoes off before walking on the carpet? OR, we have a shoe rack/bench that we will use to put on our shoes and store them. Should we leave it at that and just let people take the hint or should we put a small polite sign up asking people to take their shoes off?

Any thoughts?

• <3

Lost Bar - It's where we come together in true DMCA style.
    Blog Entries

Re: I need your opinions!!

I don't find it rude at ALL to ask people to remove their shoes when coming into your home. I can remember being in many, many houses where shoes came off at the door and never even thinking twice about it. I didn't even grow up in a house that wanted that so you'd think I would think about it but it never crossed my mind to.

I wish I could ask my dogs not to walk on my carpet

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth."
    — Mark Twain

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Is HOME.

Do whatever you want- it's your house!

My brother always takes off his nasty work shoes and leaves them in the entry. And it amazes me how just about every person who enters our house- then takes off their shoes! Just because there is the one pair there! And if you saw how awful my carpet looks, you could tell at this point I don't even care. So I think that works well. If you have a pair or two there- people often ask if they should and you could just say, "If you don't mind" or something like that.
    “In a world filled with hate, we must still dare to hope. In a world filled with anger, we must still dare to comfort. In a world filled with despair, we must still dare to dream. And in a world filled with distrust, we must still dare to believe.” -Michael Jackson

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Is HOME.

Quote Originally Posted by All Aglow

I wish I could ask my dogs not to walk on my carpet
    My grandma in-law only allows her dog into two rooms of her main floor! The only two rooms without carpet!
    “In a world filled with hate, we must still dare to hope. In a world filled with anger, we must still dare to comfort. In a world filled with despair, we must still dare to dream. And in a world filled with distrust, we must still dare to believe.” -Michael Jackson

Ask them to take off their shoes. This is for their benefit, too, after all...fewer allergens in the house!
    "Do I still have to sleep in the cupboard?"

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Is HOME.

Then people will always remember to wear their nice socks to your house!

• loves a silver lining

Blog Entries

I don't think it's rude AT ALL, not at all. It's preserving your carpet in YOUR PLACE Your place, don't you love that sound?

Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ

• Hello there

Blog Entries

Not at all. We have to remove our shoes in my MIL house for the same reason- she has very light-cream colored carpets. I did also, but, unfortunately you can't keep it that color with a dog!
    Fratsor Sister - Delta Mu Chi Alpha

ΔΜΧΑ

I remember reading something about leaving pairs of soft slippers for people to change into, so they don't feel uncomfortable with sock or bare feet. You could try that.
    "Do I still have to sleep in the cupboard?"

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

I think keeping the shoe rack and placing a sign is not at all a bad request.
    When I was growing up a friend of mine required you to take off your shoes in her house. I didn't find it rude in the least.

• Minion

I have had homes with hardwood floors throughout, a mix of hardwood and berber and the last place had marble entry/powder/dining/kitchen and the rest was hardwood. Wood scratches and scuffs while carpet gets filthy very quickly.

We have always removed our shoes in the garage before entering the house and always ask our guests do so. No one has ever gotten offended or angry about it and if they think we're peculiar, so be it. Many remark that they now realize why our homes look so spotless.

All the best to you in your new home!

• e komo mai

I don't think it's rude at all. It is your house after all...
    I usually tell me guests at the door that it's a 'Hawaiian style' house, leave your shoes at the door. Mahalo.

• Original Mice-Chatter

I went to a home where they kept a basket of clean socks in the entry for people to slide on their bare feet when the came in and took off their shoes. Slippers are harder to wash/dry and keep nice.

It was hilarious- we went for a fancy Christmas party and there is everyone in holiday finery, wearing soft white socks on their feet.

• Wasn't Me!

Quote Originally Posted by dsnylndmom
    I don't think it's rude AT ALL, not at all. It's preserving your carpet in YOUR PLACE Your place, don't you love that sound?
    YES, I LOVE the sound of it!!! I am SO very excited!!

• Wasn't Me!

Quote Originally Posted by Nephythys
    I went to a home where they kept a basket of clean socks in the entry for people to slide on their bare feet when the came in and took off their shoes. Slippers are harder to wash/dry and keep nice.

It was hilarious- we went for a fancy Christmas party and there is everyone in holiday finery, wearing soft white socks on their feet.
    I did notice recently that IKEA has a bin of nice slippers for $1. It might be nice to have a few of those around since the girls always seem to have cold feet!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast