• I was deleted.

Exclamation There she is, it's Miss America...

With the Miss America pageant just around the corner (Jan 21st) and the recent special about it on VH1 I was curoius to see what the MiceChat community has to say about it. Personally I grew up enjoying the pageant and I still do. No matter what society says I enjoy watching it-- with all of the glitz and the glamor. This will be the first year the pageant will be hosted outside of Atlantic City and in Las Vegas instead. Thoughts, comments? What do you think MiceChat?

Hosted by James Denton:
    Last edited by BigPigletFan; 01-17-2006 at 05:44 PM.

• Scentsy Minion

Blog Entries

Re: There she is, it's Miss America...

I think it's a cool, but superficial pagent. I mean, all of the ladies are skinny but have BIG curves and...I dunno, maybe I'm just jealous or something. I just want the perfectly sparkly crown!!

• Scentsy Minion

Blog Entries

and another thing...wasn't the tradition to have the winner take a jump into the Atlantic Ocean or something like that? with the comp. in Vegas, what's she going to do? is she gonna run over the the Mirage and swim with the dolphins or hop into the Bellagio fountain lagoon?

It's always fun to watch these pageants, but I do agree that while the women are beautiful, it is not an accurate representation of American women. One cool thing though is that the current Miss America is technically my "sister"-we are both members of Alpha Chi Omega sorority, so that is a cool connection
    "there is no sin worse in life than being boring-paris hilton

• I was deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by potatoes48
    One cool thing though is that the current Miss America is technically my "sister"-we are both members of Alpha Chi Omega sorority, so that is a cool connection
    That's cool. I agree the representation of "American women" but the pageant is still fun for me to watch.

And probably for the same reason as Christine... for the crown.

I like the glitz and glamour, but I can't handle the superficiality. The personal interviews make me want to scream- there are about 3 answers to "what would you do if you win the crown?" and none of them mean anything.

I worked the Miss Teen Oxnard pageant one time and it was awful. Talk about overly-skinny girls! Even the guys were saying they all needed to put on about 15 pounds.

Keep the gowns, talent, and swimsuit competition. Skip the interviews- it's meaningless. For me, anyway. That part feels scripted, stilted, and highly unnatural. Bleh.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

• I was deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by alphabassetgrrl
    Keep the gowns, talent, and swimsuit competition. Skip the interviews- it's meaningless. For me, anyway. That part feels scripted, stilted, and highly unnatural. Bleh.
    Except the long interview that apparently makes or breaks most of the comepteition that is never shown on tv since it's "preliminary". I have always been curious to see how those things go. I have seen clips of them of course on tv but no one is really able to see the entire process. That would make things more interesting.

• /sigh

I have to say, I don't like these competitions. It makes me sad to see that this is what society deems as beauty. I wonder if the application has a section for, "you must fit this mold to be enetered into the pagent".

Eh, just my soapbox. Carry on.
    Marge: Barnacle Bill's Home Pregnancy Test? Homer, shouldn't we have gone with a better-known brand?
    Homer: But Marge, this one came with a corn-cob pipe!
    Marge: [reading from the test box] "Ahoy, Maties! If the water turns blue, a baby for you! If purple ye see, no baby thar be!"
    Homer: So, which is it? Blue or purple?
    Marge: Pink.
    Homer: D'oh!
    Marge: "If ye test should fail, to a doctor set sail!"

Quote Originally Posted by BigPigletFan
    Except the long interview that apparently makes or breaks most of the comepteition that is never shown on tv since it's "preliminary". I have always been curious to see how those things go. I have seen clips of them of course on tv but no one is really able to see the entire process. That would make things more interesting.
    Ok. I'll agree with that. I didn't know there was another interview. I've only seen the "what do you see in the future" questions. "I want world peace". ::saccharine::
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

Quote Originally Posted by Cuzco-topia
    I have to say, I don't like these competitions. It makes me sad to see that this is what society deems as beauty. I wonder if the application has a section for, "you must fit this mold to be enetered into the pagent".
    Yeah, I'll agree with you there. Ok, the women are attractive, but there are many other modes of attractive. I think the 'you must fit this mold' section is done by the earlier "competitions".

• /sigh

Quote Originally Posted by alphabassetgrrl
    Yeah, I'll agree with you there. Ok, the women are attractive, but there are many other modes of attractive. I think the 'you must fit this mold' section is done by the earlier "competitions".
    But, do we *think* they're attractive women because that's what we're *told* is attractive?

Just stirrin' the pot.....don't mind me...
    Marge: Barnacle Bill's Home Pregnancy Test? Homer, shouldn't we have gone with a better-known brand?
    Homer: But Marge, this one came with a corn-cob pipe!
    Marge: [reading from the test box] "Ahoy, Maties! If the water turns blue, a baby for you! If purple ye see, no baby thar be!"
    Homer: So, which is it? Blue or purple?
    Marge: Pink.
    Homer: D'oh!
    Marge: "If ye test should fail, to a doctor set sail!"

• Circle of Ancients

Okay. True story. One of the funniest things I ever heard from one of my friends was that she LOVES the Miss America Pageant because it's how she learned the names of the 50 states!

And hey, it's a scholarship program...don't you forget it!!! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Cuzco-topia
    But, do we *think* they're attractive women because that's what we're *told* is attractive?
    I think yes, in part, we do. Magazines show thin women with large boobs. We see huge numbers of diet ads. We know many people who are trying to lose weight. Movie stars are always glamourous and thin. Have you looked how much plastic surgery goes on in Hollywood? Boob jobs and liposuction, the occasional tummy-tuck.

So, "thin is beautiful".

Some part of attraction is built in. Breasts are beautiful to nearly every culture, as far as I've seen. Body shape varies tremendously, depending on culture. Some cultures mark beauty by tattoos- no tattoos, you're defective and no man will marry you. Or one I saw on National Geographic, the women chip their teeth into points as a mark of beauty. So yes, I think we are trained to some degree that "thin with big boobs and long hair" is beautiful. As long as we recognize that there are other standards of beauty, we're ok.

Enjoy the pageant.

• love my friends

I grew upi enjoying this pagent as well.. as well as the Miss canada lagent(since I am from canada)

but I feel in a way iot is exploiting women.. granted they do get scholorships.. which is great but why show them in bathing suits.. it only give men pelaseure (in my opion) sorry this is how I feel

My hubby loves this show because of the bathing suit time
    i can see him drool every time he sees it.. lol

Friends for life