Page 249 of 330 FirstFirst ... 149199224239246247248249250251252259274299 ... LastLast
Results 3,721 to 3,735 of 4950

• Grim Grinning

Re: OMG! Let's Talk On Lion!!

I'm guessing the Ducks kept the lead then. I left in the middle of the second period to go watch Vampire Diaries. Watched Clue after that because the other day when I tried watching it, I kept getting interrupted and have never seen it. Thankfully it was on Netflix and everyone at work had best be on their toes because I'm gonna be quoting that movie for daaaays.

• Evil is Sexy

"Flames... flames... on the side of my face."

I love that movie. I'm pretty sure that was the second movie I saw Tim Curry in. (First being Legend and third being Rocky Horror.) And may Madeline Kahn continue to be a comedy queen from afar. I was devistated when she passed away. Yes, I grew up on Mel Brooks movies, why do you ask?
    Peter Pan: "You know, your hair is on fire."
    Me: "Yes. It happened after a recent trip to Neverland."
    Peter Pan: "Well, you can dunk your head in the pond behind us, if you want."

Lost Child of
    Neverland since 1996.
    ~Favorite Hero: Peter Pan. Favorite Villian:Malificent.Favorite Ride: The Haunted Mansion.~

• we jumped out a window

Quote Originally Posted by amanda.collishaw View Post
    I'm guessing the Ducks kept the lead then. I left in the middle of the second period to go watch Vampire Diaries. Watched Clue after that because the other day when I tried watching it, I kept getting interrupted and have never seen it. Thankfully it was on Netflix and everyone at work had best be on their toes because I'm gonna be quoting that movie for daaaays.

Yes they kept the lead but barely and allowed 2 goals so I'm surprised to not even see "we almost had them/we got robbed" posts from Kings fans.

Kelly and Kirsten (since it qualifies as a legal matter), are any of you versed in arguments for and against DNR (do not resuscitate) orders? Now that the shock is wearing off about my grandma's condition, I feel I may need to go to bat for her.

• Selfie Expert

I don't know the laws, but as far as patients I've dealt with in ICU it seems like you'd have to get the Power of Attorney to change her status.

I'm a big supporter of DNR on certain patients. There's a point where trying to "save" them is only going to draw out the inevitable, and likely increase their suffering. Consider your options with things like that in mind - it may be hard to let go, but if it's the most comfortable thing for her it may be the right choice. Discuss it at length with the physicians and nurses taking care of her. If she codes and they resuscitate, would she want to be "alive" but on a machine breathing for her and drugs keeping her heart beating?

Now, if you really think she has a fighting chance, and the family is cutting her short, then by all means fight for her!

I hope I'm not coming off harsh or preachy! I've just seen so many devastating cases... I felt the need to share some thoughts. I'll support whatever decision you make!

On another note - catching up on the thread! You guys have been busy.

I got the job and put my notice in at my current job. My boss read my notice at 1:12pm yesterday (I put a read receipt thing on it so I knew when she opened it), and she replied at 8am this morning with essentially a "nice knowin' ya". My last day at this place is June 6th, start the new job June 9th. I'm STOKED!

Brandon, I REALLY hope you make it out May 23rd!!

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!
    KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

I think the laws vary a little from State to State, but in WA there are two ways you could do this. You could have an attorney draft a DNR form and if she is in her right mind, and that is what she wants, she could sign it. Then nothing anyone in your family says could override that.

The other way is to have her sign a Health Care Power of Attorney granting you the authority to make all decisions regarding her health care, at which point you could sign a DNR on her behalf.

If she is mentally sound, the easiest way to go about it would be to have her sign a DNR. That is iron clad and argument proof and keeps you out of it.

Okay so I totally told you how to get one and not arguments for and against like you asked.

For: If it will only drag out the inevitable and make her suffer longer, a DNR is in her best interest. This is generally done when the patient is terminal and nearing the end of their life expectancy and pain management/quality of life is becoming an issue.

Against: If she has a year or even 6 months of life that she will be able to be actively engaged in and enjoy, she may want to be resuscitated so that she can enjoy the last few months/year of her life.

If your grandma is lucid, you may want to talk to her and ask what she wants.

Kelly - yay on the new job! What hours will you work, and what will your commute be?

• Selfie Expert

Everything Kirsten wrote is what my understanding is here, too.

I'll be working days so I'll have a normal life again! Either an early or afternoon shift, should be home by 9pm at latest. My drive will be 15-20 minutes with traffic.

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!
    KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

• Grim Grinning

Quote Originally Posted by WildeNight View Post
    "Flames... flames... on the side of my face."

I love that movie. I'm pretty sure that was the second movie I saw Tim Curry in. (First being Legend and third being Rocky Horror.) And may Madeline Kahn continue to be a comedy queen from afar. I was devistated when she passed away. Yes, I grew up on Mel Brooks movies, why do you ask?
    Rocky Horror was the first I saw him in, but the first movie I saw that had him in it was Ferngully. I can't believe I hadn't watched Clue sooner. That flames bit is going to come in handy next time I have an infuriating customer lol. I may just watch it again to see if I can figure out which ending fits the most plausibly. I like the 4th ending that never made it best, sadly lol.

Quote Originally Posted by KellyMcG86 View Post
    On another note - catching up on the thread! You guys have been busy.

I got the job and put my notice in at my current job. My boss read my notice at 1:12pm yesterday (I put a read receipt thing on it so I knew when she opened it), and she replied at 8am this morning with essentially a "nice knowin' ya". My last day at this place is June 6th, start the new job June 9th. I'm STOKED!

Brandon, I REALLY hope you make it out May 23rd!!
    Yay!! Congrats!! I'm sure that's the send off I'd get if I put in my notice too.

Yay on better hours and better commute!

I love Clue. I actually own that on DVD. It cracks me up. I love Tim Curry running around at the end showing how it was done. I think the first movie I saw him in was The Worst Witch. I still like that movie too.

• Grim Grinning

That was pretty funny! I think I saw it when I was little because I remember that scene for some reason. While I was watching it last night, the light bulb went off. So great! I didn't even recognize Christopher Lloyd at first either. The annoying thing is that Miss Scarlet looked familiar but after looking at her IMDb page, I've seen nothing else she's been in.

With Miss Scarlet, it's probably because she looks a lot like Susan Sarandon.

• Grim Grinning

That's it!! Thank you! I couldn't place it to save my life!

• we jumped out a window

Thanks Kelly, thanks Kirsten!

Kelly, congrats on the job! You can't complain about preferential treatment for day shift any longer.
    And you should see me on the 23rd. I'll be there as Elsa, err I mean in that Elsa Sub Zero shirt I have and not a blue dress, lol!

Grandma has 7 children and 4 grandchildren and I'm 10th in the pecking order so it's truly not my decision.

However, just 4 weeks ago, they brought her to Vegas. She was healthy enough for that and it's a long car ride especially for her. You can't tell me that her health declined so rapidly in 4 weeks???? They make decisions for her but I truly believe she is still capable of doing that for herself...when eating out, you can present her with options and she will pick what she prefers. She eats everything in front of her too. That to me is not someone close to being at the end of their road.

She is still up for adventures too - I'm sure if I asked if she'd like to go to DL and ride the Lilly Belle, she would say yes. Sounds like someone who still enjoys life immensely to me! Also, earlier in the year she fought off a bout with pneumonia. That was not enough to discourage family from taking her to Vegas so how is it that now they consider her so weakened??? Unfortunately, during that meeting, I was so stunned by the "doctors only give her 2 months" announcement, I couldn't think clearly at all and didn't say anything.

Kirsten, I do have a general question - what is there to prevent abuse of that Power of Attorney? It's hard enough making decisions for oneself but for another person? That pressure can get overwhelming and what if what's decided for that other party isn't in their best interests? Sadly, there are cases where family members deprive another of food or basic needs or health care. There must be some sort of legal protection for those covered by the power of attorney, right?

Also, who determines when a person is not able to make their own decisions? I can see how that can be abused too. Like maybe a family member blackmailing or threatening in order to get power of the attorney rights over someone.

Okay, enough of the general questions and back to my case...the family members that were pro DNR were the ones that dropped that "only 2 months" bomb and I don't know if they planned it that way but I'm sure the rest of us were stunned and not able to say much and so they were able to say whatever they wanted without objection. On the other hand, had we not been too stunned to speak, huge arguments could've broken out. My old man was just about ready to go out the door with a "I want no part of this discussion!" I'm not even sure what their goal was with that meeting if that power of attorney lies with them.

• Grim Grinning

Geeeeze, Brandon! Hopefully there's something that can be done. I'm sure you could fight PoA, but you'd have to be able to prove that it's being abused somehow. I'm keeping you in my thoughts!

*DISCLAIMER* - I am not an attorney and can't give legal advice. With that said, I can tell you what I know. It's pretty hard to fight a Power of Attorney, but they are pretty limited in what they allow you to do. It's spelled out exactly what decisions you can make and you can't go beyond what the scope of the PoA allows.

However, once you have PoA you can totally make decisions that are NOT in the persons best interest and there's not a lot you can do. That's why the person granting the Power of Attorney needs to have a lot of trust in the person they choose.

If your grandma is deemed incompetent, choices will fall to her next of kin, in this case likely her oldest child. With a DNR, resuscitating is the default and you have to opt out of it and I don't think anyone other than your grandma can make that decision.
    Last edited by kirstenh; 05-14-2014 at 10:56 AM.