Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• meganmegaphone

Sad My Issues With Myspace

Ok...

So since this is the 5th time something like this has happened, I'm bringing in the troops on this one...

What would you do in the following instance?

I have a myspace, however I am by no means or in the smallest way interested in dating anyone I meet online. I even state that my myspace is exclusively for friends & blogging (as well as networking... I'm an actor), but anyways...

Nobody ever seems to listen. I'm at my wit's end with the last guy and I don't even know what to do.

I mean, i know you have to let a guy know where he stands, and this time I have. I've told him I'm not interested in dating anyone right now (which is actually a lie.... I'm just not interested in him), but he hasn't listened at all and in an email I recieved today basically gave me his life story.

Further, I am 19 & he is 26. Ew.

So I'm coming to you gals to see what you think I should do. I'm an idiot in the dating world, never had a boyfriend, but I just can't deal with running away from nice guys who I'm simply not interested in dating.

I have a heart. I believe in karma. I don't want this to come back to haunt me.

I feel for these guys because I've been turned down many a time too, but I just don't know what to do that's not mean. Avoidence is, and I don't want to do that anymore.

I've actually changed my myspace profile to "in a relationship" a few times to keep them away, and it does seem to work. But the people I do like then avoid me as well. It's a double edged sword.

Thanks for listening to my long rant. Any advice will be extremly appreciated. I don't want to be the bitch anymore.

He're's my myspace url too, maybe there's something wrong with it. I don't know. http://myspace.com/megs1286

Thanks again,
    iluvstitch

"Back off, Lilo... he's all mine!"
    My MySpace... or...My Facebook
    Coldplay = Love

"Accept that some days you are the pigeon and some days you are the statue." - The Office (BBC)

• Circle of Ancients

Re: My Issues With Myspace

Could you be totally honest with him and just say something along the lines of "I think you are a very nice guy, I am looking to date someone, but I don't feel a romantic connection with you so I don't want to start dating you just in case I meet someone else who I do feel a romantic connection with."

If he pleads with you anymore after that, I would just ignore him.

• Believes in fairy tales

Hi. A couple of suggestions. First, if any of the guys that keep bothering you are "friends", block them (they will be automatically deleted from your friends list). For that matter, even if they aren't friends and keep messaging you, block them (you can do that in the edit acct. settings section)

Second, did he email or message you? If he emailed, block him from your email and don't give it out to anyone else.

Just as a safety precaution, I wouldn't put your full name as your screen name. I would either just use your first name or something else. For instance, just by glancing at your site, I know your name, where you live, where you work, where you go to school, where (and when) you graduated HS and how old you are. I would guess that I could find exactly where you live in about 5 minutes (I won't).

Also, when random guys ask to be added, I would check out their page and maybe message back and forth for a bit. I have been asked for an add by some very strange people who seemed perfectly normal at first. If I think of anything else, I'll let you know.

And yes, I am a mom. (albeit a very cool one)

• meganmegaphone

Woo Hoo... I've made everything only viewable to friends (blogs, pics, ect) & am in the process of purging people. Down from 418 to 263 so far...

Changed my name on there too

Coldplay = Love

"Accept that some days you are the pigeon and some days you are the statue." - The Office (BBC)

• meganmegaphone

Final count: 229 friends. yay. That's nearly half the people I had before. And a bunch of those are bands. So yay.

Coldplay = Love

• Believes in fairy tales

Quote Originally Posted by iluvstitch
    Final count: 229 friends. yay. That's nearly half the people I had before. And a bunch of those are bands. So yay.
    Yay, you!!!

~Whitney (who also has pictures of Chris Martin on her cell phone-- from about a foot away, no less!!)

• Circle of Ancients

That sounds like really good advice that Bewitched gave you. Hopefully you won't have to deal with this guy anymore. (Or any other guys you don't want to date)

I don't know much about My Space since the only family member I have who uses it is my niece who likes to post pictures of what she's up to in Paris right now...she is an exchange student there...and I don't think she uses it hoping to meet people she can date , though I could be wrong. And I could see her getting in the same dilemma as you since she's a cutie.

But I just wanted to add that there is nothing bitchy about turning a guy down for a date if you're not interested in him that way and you do it as nicely but firmly as possible. I think it would be more hurtful to go on a few dates with him, let him treat you to dinner or the movies or whatever, and then tell him you've never really been that interested in him romantically.

Edited to add...of course I'm so computer illiterate and haven't ever done online dating so far all I know an online date wouldn't even involve dinner or movies. Just what would it involve anyways? LOL (at myself for my lack of knowledge on these things)

PS Did you happen to see that Malcolm in the MIddle episode where a guy who worked at the store with the mother blurted out that he loved her in the middle of a burglary when they were being held at gunpoint. Her speech that she gave the guy was hilarious!
    Last edited by Princess Buttercup; 01-26-2006 at 10:49 AM.

You're right to tell him you're not interested. If he persists, you use stronger terms. You may have to go all the way to "go away". I don't know about the block function of MySpace (I don't have an account or anything) but that sounds like a good idea as well.

I've found that things which feel bad for me to say, often are considered direct and honest by males. Yes, it sucks to turn them down, makes them feel bad, but by letting them know "there is no chance" they know to move on, don't "waste" their time trying to get you to go out with them and all. That sounds funny but hopefully gets my meaning across.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

• meganmegaphone

Quote Originally Posted by Princess Buttercup
    PS Did you happen to see that Malcolm in the MIddle episode where a guy who worked at the store with the mother blurted out that he loved her in the middle of a burglary when they were being held at gunpoint. Her speech that she gave the guy was hilarious!
    No, I haven't seen that! I googled it, but luck. Haha... yay for akward people inforcing their awkwardness more easily over the internet on others!

Oh, and Bewitched, I am so jealous of Whitney! I've been 2nd row, but even that was about 10 feet away Haha, I've been joking for while I won't get over my Obsession until I get to shake C.M.'s hand, lol
    Last edited by iluvstitch; 01-26-2006 at 10:46 AM.

Coldplay = Love

• meganmegaphone

Quote Originally Posted by alphabassetgrrl
    You're right to tell him you're not interested. If he persists, you use stronger terms. You may have to go all the way to "go away". I don't know about the block function of MySpace (I don't have an account or anything) but that sounds like a good idea as well.

I've found that things which feel bad for me to say, often are considered direct and honest by males. Yes, it sucks to turn them down, makes them feel bad, but by letting them know "there is no chance" they know to move on, don't "waste" their time trying to get you to go out with them and all. That sounds funny but hopefully gets my meaning across.
    Yeah, I get what you're saying. Hah, I've experianced that enough on my own. Sometimes with guys, hints just don't work. You just have to come out and say exactly you're trying to get at. Bah... guys. I don't even know.

Coldplay = Love

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Further, I am 19 & he is 26. Ew.
    I love you (no not in that way.. LOL).

I know a girl who hooked up with a 33 year old guy like the second she turned 18. I wish she had the brains you did. Surprisingly they're still together (she's going to be 21 this year). But then again, they're perfect for each other... they're both shallow losers.

And this is one reason why I have only have a LiveJournal and it's "friends only".

• Gloomy Day, probably rain

LET ME TELL YA....

I get so much CRAP from men (& women) that is so inappropriate and vulgar that it makes me sick. SO, when ever I get some email or friend request from someone I'm not interested in, think is scary, or is just plain gross I pass it on to everyone of MYSPACE friends so we can get a good laugh then I delete delete delete the person(s). I never respond to them. What's the point?!

I have a blog on Myspace about what some of the men on Myspace as sent me. Feel free to check it out http://www.myspace.com/misstyisjafo. Post your own blog or even put it on your space. You'd be surprised, I get way less emails from people that I don't want emails from after I posted a blog about it.

Honestly, all you can do is just ignore those idiots. You have to pick and chose the people you want to know. Start with adding MC people! There's even a group for MCers on Myspace.

• R.I.P. Mandy

I agree with everything bewitched said.

And iluvstitch, if he is being that "persistent", it's considered harassment. Just block him. There's nothing mean about ignoring a person if you've told him how you feel and he just ignores you. That's called self preservation.
    Introducing- The Geek Tutorial! The new informational webseries on computers and the geekiness of life.

Screw eHarmony- I met my soulmate at Star Trek: The Experience.

Random funny exchange from Star Trek: The Experience:

BF: "If you take any photos on the attraction, we will shoot you with a phaser."
    Guest: "On stun?"
    BF: "Maybe....."
    Me: "I wouldn't trust him."

• @ DENIAL ISLAND

Wish you were here!!! Come on in the water's fine @ Club DENIAL

I know why you are getting hit on and it isn't going to help with saying you are in a relationship. It's your PICTURE!!! even if you said you where married they would still be wanted to be with you. You're young and very pretty. Just do as the others say block people you have problems with and if they don't give up report them. Goodluck
    aka Sara

One of my children
    isn't pictured,

ABE is still hibernating

• Banned User

also don't allow people you know as friends. both my kids have myspace accounts but they use it to keep track of high school buddies and such or as friends that they meet from wdw. my son also has an account at facebook through his school. but when they get requests from strangers they simply deny them and block the names that way they don't get bothered. also I agree with others that you have to be blunt. heck you are leaving town for awhile anyway and for some reason men can't seem to take no for an answer unless you blirt it out to them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast