Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

• Evil is Sexy

Lightbulb Recipe Swap Thread - Measurements may vary ;)

I thought I'd take the idea from our "Talk On Lion" thread and get the ball rolling on this fun tidbit.

Feel free to post whatever tasty recipes you'd like to share. I LOVE to cook and bake, so I have a cornucopia of tasties.

Cold-Fashioned Potato Salad (courtsey of Alton Brown)

2 1/2 pounds red potatoes, large diced
    3 tablespoons cider vinegar
    3/4 cup mayonnaise (homemade if possible)
    1 teaspoon mustard powder
    1/4 cup chopped parsley
    1 tablespoon chopped fresh tarragon
    1/2 tablespoon very thinly sliced garlic
    3 tablespoons fine chopped cornichons
    1/2 cup small dice red onion
    1/2 cup thinly sliced celery
    1 teaspoon kosher salt
    1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    Directions
    Place potatoes into a large heavy-bottomed pot. Cover with cold water and place over medium heat. Cover the pot and bring to a
    boil. Immediately reduce heat and remove lid. Gently simmer until potatoes are fork tender. Drain and place into an ice bath to
    cool. Remove skin by rubbing with a tea towel. Slice potatoes into rounds and place into a zip top bag. Add the vinegar and toss
    to coat all of the potatoes. Place the bag into the refrigerator overnight.
    In a large mixing bowl, combine the mayonnaise, mustard, parsley, tarragon, garlic, cornichons, onions, and celery. Once
    evenly combined, add the potatoes and season with salt and pepper. Let the salad chill in the refrigerator for at least an hour
    before serving.
    Peter Pan: "You know, your hair is on fire."
    Me: "Yes. It happened after a recent trip to Neverland."
    Peter Pan: "Well, you can dunk your head in the pond behind us, if you want."

Lost Child of
    Neverland since 1996.
    ~Favorite Hero: Peter Pan. Favorite Villian:Malificent.Favorite Ride: The Haunted Mansion.~

• Grim Grinning

Re: Recipe Swap Thread - Measurements may vary ;)

Very nice!! I'll post my pink champagne cupcakes and frosting recipe when I get home from work.

• Selfie Expert

Love it! I'll have to post some of my go-to's when I'm off.

Disclaimer: The vast majority of food I make is easy, unhealthy, and not at all free of processed food.

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!
    KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

• Evil is Sexy

LOL. If it tastes good, I'll eat it regardless of nutritional value.

Homemade Candied Ginger
    Ingredients
    Nonstick spray
    1 pound fresh ginger root
    5 cups water
    Approximately 1 pound granulated sugar

Directions
    Spray a cooling rack with nonstick spray and set it in a half sheet pan lined with parchment.

Peel the ginger root and slice into 1/8-inch thick slices using a mandoline. Place into a 4-quart saucepan with the water and set over medium-high heat. Cover and cook for 35 minutes or until the ginger is tender.

Transfer the ginger to a colander to drain, reserving 1/4 cup of the cooking liquid. Weigh the ginger and measure out an equal amount of sugar. Return the ginger and 1/4 cup water to the pan and add the sugar. Set over medium-high heat and bring to a boil, stirring frequently. Reduce the heat to medium and cook, stirring frequently, until the sugar syrup looks dry, has almost evaporated and begins to recrystallize, approximately 20 minutes. Transfer the ginger immediately to the cooling rack and spread to separate the individual pieces. Once completely cool, store in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks. Save the sugar that drops beneath the cooling rack and use to top ginger snaps, sprinkled over ice cream or to sweeten coffee.

I don't have a kitchen mandolin at the moment, so I just try my best to slice the ginger as evenly as possible. I've also frozen the ginger in an airtight container and it has lasted much longer than the 2 week fridge life.

Lost Child of
    Neverland since 1996.
    ~Favorite Hero: Peter Pan. Favorite Villian:Malificent.Favorite Ride: The Haunted Mansion.~

• Grim Grinning

Ok, a little late, but here it is:

Pink Champagne Cupcakes:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees

1 C. Sugar
    1/2 C. Butter (softened)
    2 Eggs
    1t. Vanilla
    1 3/4 C. All Purpose Flour
    1/2t. Baking Soda
    1/4t. Baking Powder
    1/4t. Salt
    1/2 C. Sour Cream
    1/2 C. Pink Champagne
    5-6 Drops Red Food Coloring

Cream together butter and sugar til light and fluffy, approx. 3 minutes.
    Add eggs one at a time, blending fully after each addition, then add the vanilla.
    Sift together the dry ingredients in one bowl.
    In a third bowl, whisk together the sour cream, champagne and food coloring.
    Add half the flour mixture to the butter, sugar, egg and vanilla mixture. Blend together, then add half the sour cream mixture. Blend again til combined, add the last of the flour, blend, then add the last of the sour cream mixture.
    Scoop batter into 12 prepared cupcake tins and bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. When they're done, let them cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then remove them and place on a cooling rack for an additional 10 minutes.

While the cupcakes are baking, you can make the frosting.

Pink Champagne Frosting:

1/2 C. Butter (softened)
    1/4 C. Pink Champagne
    4 C. Powdered Sugar
    1t. Vanilla
    5 Drops Red Dye

Blend all ingredients together in a mixer until it's fluffy. I think I let it go for about 5-7 minutes. Of course start out slowly so your counters don't look like Christmas with powdered sugar flying everywhere. Once the cupcakes are cooled, you can either frost the cupcakes with a knife, or a piping bag if you wanna make em fancy looking.
    Last edited by amanda.collishaw; 09-23-2013 at 10:21 PM. Reason: Accidentally went prohibition era on the frosting recipe

Am I misreading, or is the pink champagne frosting vanilla buttercream with food coloring added? Not that I mind, I love that frosting, just wondered if there is something to make the frosting champagne-y as well.

• Grim Grinning

Hahaha oops, I missed the 1/4 C. of the champagne. I'll go change that.

• Grim Grinning

Decided to try a recipe from a Splenda book tonight, they're actually very good.

Splenda and Spice Cookies:

6T. Shortening
    6T. Butter
    1 C. Splenda Granular
    1 Egg
    1/4 C. Molasses
    2 C. AP Flour
    3/4t. Ground Ginger
    1t. Ground Cinnamon
    1/2t. Ground Cloves

Mix together shortening, butter, egg, Splenda and Molasses.
    Sift flour, ginger, cinnamon, and cloves and add to shortening mixture.
    Stir together to form dough. Wrap dough in plastic wrap and chill in fridge for 2 hours.
    Preheat oven to 350. Form dough into 30 balls, 1 heaping teaspoon each. (I ended up with 57)
    Place cookies on ungreased cookie sheets and pat down gently with a fork making a criss-cross pattern.
    Bake for 10-12 minutes. Cookies will look chewy but will become crisp after cooling. Cool on wire rack.

• Selfie Expert

I hate coconut, but these things are delicious when they're warm out of the oven! I also like to dip the bottoms in chocolate and drizzle a little on top. Mmm!! (Copy and pasted from AllRecipes.com)

COCONUT MACAROONS

Ingredients:
    2/3 cup all-purpose flour
    5 1/2 cups flaked coconut
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed
    milk
    2 teaspoons vanilla extract
    Directions:
    1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Line cookie sheets with parchment paper or aluminum foil.
    2. In a large bowl, stir together the flour, coconut and salt. Stir in the sweetened condensed milk and vanilla using your hands until well blended. Use an ice cream scoop to drop dough onto the prepared cookie sheets. Cookies should be about golf ball size.
    3. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes in the preheated oven, until coconut is toasted

• Selfie Expert

These are the most amazing cookies eaten warm. They're not bad cooled, but when they're warm you get melty peanut butter cup goodness combined with a warm fresh peanut butter cookie... *Drools*.

One of my husband and I's all time favorite recipes (AllRecipes.com):

PEANUT BUTTER CUP COOKIES

Ingredients:
    1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    1/2 cup butter, softened
    1/2 cup white sugar
    1/2 cup peanut butter
    1/2 cup packed brown sugar
    1 egg, beaten
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    2 tablespoons milk
    40 miniature chocolate covered peanut
    butter cups, unwrapped
    Directions:
    1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Sift together the flour, salt and baking soda; set aside.
    2. Cream together the butter, sugar, peanut butter and brown sugar until fluffy. Beat in the egg, vanilla and milk. Add the flour mixture; mix well. Shape into 40 balls and place each into an ungreased mini muffin pan.
    3. Bake at 375 degrees for about 8 minutes. Remove from oven and immediately press a mini peanut butter cup into each ball. Cool and carefully remove from pan

• Selfie Expert

One more tonight - These are delicious! I pretend they're healthy because they're made with turkey, and I save money by using cut up string cheese instead of expensive fresh mozarella. They turn out soo good!

Mozarella-stuffed Pesto Turkey Meatballs (AllRecipes.com)

Ingredients:
    3 pounds ground turkey
    1 cup finely chopped onion
    4 garlic cloves, minced
    1 egg
    1 cup Italian-style bread crumbs
    1/2 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
    cheese
    1/2 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
    1/4 cup prepared pesto
    1/4 cup milk
    1 tablespoon salt
    2 teaspoons fresh ground black pepper
    1 pound fresh mozzarella, cut into small
    cubes
    3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
    2 (24 ounce) jars marinara sauce
    Directions:
    1. Preheat an oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
    2. Place the ground turkey, onion, garlic, egg, bread crumbs, Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, parsley, pesto, milk, salt, and black pepper in a bowl. Mix until evenly blended, then form into 1 3/4-inch meatballs. Make a hole in the meatball with your finger and place a cheese cube in the hole. Seal the meatball around the cheese and place on a nonstick baking sheet. Drizzle the olive oil over the meatballs.
    3. Bake in the preheated oven until the meatballs are no longer pink in the center, about 30 minutes. Heat the marinara sauce in a saucepan over low heat. Bring to a simmer, and place the baked meatballs in the marinara sauce for about 2 minutes

• Grim Grinning

Glad you posted that peanut butter cup cookie recipe! I remember us talking about it.

•   
    • Lurking in the corners

Blog Entries

Crock Pot Apple Butter (no, really!)

4 lb apples
    2 cups apple cider
    3 cups white sugar (substitute 2 1/2 cups brown sugar for the white sugar for a more caramel flavor)
    2 tsp ground cinnamon
    1 tsp ground cloves
    1/8 tsp ground allspice

Peel, core and cut up apples, place in a large crock pot with apple cider. Cook for approx 10 hours on low until apples fall apart. Add sugar and spices, hand blend with a potato masher and continue to cook for 1 hr . Put into hot clean jars, seal, and invert the jars on a towel on your counter. Once cool, check the "button" on the top of the jar. If it is sucked in tight you seal is good for 3 months in a temperate area. You can also freeze the apple butter for up to 6 months.
    Last edited by Attic Haunt; 10-07-2013 at 05:52 AM.

“That's the way a lot of things happen... You think one person did something
    but he was just the one to put the color on it." – Ken Anderson
    ​I'm blogging here again!

• Evil is Sexy

Do the apples have to be the "traditional" apple butter state or can they be fresher? Apple butter from my handed down PA Deutch recipe book calls for, um, the smooshier stage of (over)ripeness.

Lost Child of
    Neverland since 1996.

•   
    • Lurking in the corners

Blog Entries

Fresh apples work just as well. If you use a fresh hard apple cut them into smaller pieces (1/2" cubes instead of 1" for example) but when you are leaving them in a bath of apple cider for 10 hours, even the hardest apples break down just fine. You may get the "bonus" of chunky apple butter if you use fresh hard apples cut into larger chunks.

BTW, I'm making a correction to the instructions... left out a word

“That's the way a lot of things happen... You think one person did something
    but he was just the one to put the color on it." – Ken Anderson
    ​I'm blogging here again!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast