Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Circle of Ancients

Should there be a law against wearing perfume/cologne to public performances?

What do you think?

Last night , my family and I went to see The Lion King. We waited for months to see this and it was our first time. We paid almost $500 for the tickets even though we were in Row 23 and were totally excited to see the show since it was our first time. About 10 minutes before the show started a trio showed up and sat in the seats in front of us. The woman directly in front of me was not only an amazon, but she had the most God awful perfume I have ever smelled in my life. It was literally like a combination of Jean Nate and pure amonia mixed together. In fact, I wondered if she had just gotten a perm that day and was trying to hide the smell of it with her perfume. Within 1 minute , our eyes were literally burning.

We were dead center in the theater so I had to squeeze past everyone again and went to talk to an usher to see if we could be moved. The theater was packed and she said that the only seats we could take were in the very last row. I wasn't happy about it , but it was better than sitting behind Stinky. But by the time I got back to our seats to tell my family we could move, the lights went out and the show started. We all sat there for the first half with our programs folded over our faces to keep out the smell and had to close our eyes every now and then because they were burning and watering. I am NOT exaggerating!

At intermission, we got out as quickly as we could, went straight to the box office this time and told the employee what was wrong. I told him we were willing to split up our family if that's what it took to get better seats. We ended up here and there in Row 5 which was fantastic and helped make up for how awful the first half had been.

I think that was so rude and selfish of that lady to douse herself with whatever it was knowing that she would be in a crowded theater where the heat of people makes smells even more intensified. And I can't believe the two people next to her didn't tell her how bad she smelled so she could have done something about it before arriving at the theater. I didn't want to be mean or cause a scene in any way , but I just couldn't believe that our experience was being ruined because someone chose to wear cheap dime store perfume! It was also an inonvenience to everyone we had to keep walking past to get away from her.

In my opinion , there is just no reason for someone to wear perfume or cologne and plenty of reasons to not to a public performance....and since people don't seem to know better ....I wish they would make a law against it. Or even specify perfume/cologne sections versus non-perfume/non-cologne sections. We have "No smoking" laws in California and I would have preferred smoke over what we had to smell for the first half of the show. And what's in perfume/cologne is actually just as harmful to breathe as smoke for most people.

What do you think? Should there be a law or restriction against perfume /cologne at public performances. And if so, how do you think they should enforce it?
    Last edited by Princess Buttercup; 02-02-2006 at 09:14 AM.

• Former Epcot CM

Re: Should there be a lwa against wearing perfume/cologne to public performances?

A law? No. Common sense? Yes. The lady should have thought about wearing bad perfume and so much of it in a public place - but not laws. Come on, I can't see it being a real crime.
    BACKPACKING REALNESS

DISNEY TRIPS
    October 2000 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2001 - Walt Disney World Resort
    April 2002 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    October 2003 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2004 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2005 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2007 - Walt Disney World Resort
    December 2008 - Walt Disney World Resort
    July 2009 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    July 2011 - Disneyland Resort California
    July 2012-13 - UK Cultural Representative Cast Member at Epcot
    February 2013 - Disneyland Resort California
    February 2013 -Tokyo Disney Resort

(VERY OLD!)
    TRIP REPORTS

• loves a silver lining

Blog Entries

Re: Should there be a lwa against wearing perfume/cologne to public performances?

At least in your case the management was able to move you. Although, it's unfortunate that your family had to be split up and I'm sure that really put a damper on the show for you all

A law, I don't see that being realistic. What one person finds completely overpowering another person may not. It boils down to manners and person hygiene, some people just seem to lack both Plus, I love my perfume and couldn't imagine a world with no Pink Sugar!

Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by Speedway
    Come on, I can't see it being a real crime.
    You're right. It wasn't a "real crime" but it was pretty bad that she got to sit there with her family enjoying the show, while I had to sit there with my family feeling like we were being poisoned and eventually split up the family so we could enjoy the show. I can handle good-smelling perfume/cologne and even excessive perfume/cologne, but this was over the top. I am not exaggerating. The other people around us could smell it too and several people made comments that the lady surely must have heard, but she made no apologies or attempts to move herself or even go try to wash some of it off in the restroom. I could see her face and she didn't even look like she felt bad, sad or embarassed. Neither did the people with her. That was probably what made me the maddest about the situation.

Maybe a law against it is too extreme, but I do think it would be nice if there was something that could be done to regulate this kind of thing from happening. I would feel really bad for anyone who had to experience what we did last night when they're paying that kind of money for something that's supposed to be fabulous! If I had gone to the box office first instead of to the usher , we probably could have got moved to better seats sooner, but we also might have had to watch the show from the outer room until intermission since they don't allow people in the theater once the show has started.

If anything like this ever happens to any of you, (though I certainly hope not), go straight to the box office as fast as you can!
    Last edited by Princess Buttercup; 02-02-2006 at 09:38 AM.

• <3

Lost Bar - It's where we come together in true DMCA style.
    Blog Entries

I bet that this lady wears this every day and so she can't even smell it any longer. She's just so used to it and her companions are probably around her enough that they are, too. Then she figured it was a special night and put a little more on in the celebratory spirit (like women who don't wear makeup except on special occassions?)

It's nasty and people should have common sense about things such as this, but I can't see a law passing. It would have to be all or nothing because where would they draw the line? And would people remember, to most putting on their perfume or cologne is as much a habit as brushing their teeth and hair, it's part of their ritual of getting ready to go anywhere. So, would they then be turned away after spending $500 for a performance? Sure, it would sure make them remember the next time, but I can see lots of trouble over that.

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth."
    Mark Twain

• This is my car, Stitch :)

Rancho Cucamonga, California, United States

Unfortunately, we can't please everyone. But would you have rather smelled her BO than that? I don't which one would be worse. But it's just as annoying as people with cell phones on when they KNOW they should be silent or off. They announce it everywhere; the movie theatre, schools, hospitals, anything quiet but people don't learn or don't care. I honestly think it's just ridiculous people are so inconsiderate and not think before they do things. The world would be a much better place if people actually thought things out.

• Hello there

Blog Entries

I am not sure she thought it was offensive. My guess is she probably didn't know and thought she smelled pretty. I wear perfume. I like perfume. Two spritz and I am out the door and I feel good! Do some people take a bath in the stuff? Yes. But I don't think it is to offend you or anyone else. When Cool Waters was a big hit with the guys, I HATE THAT SMELL. But I don't think anyone who wears it is doing anything on purpose. But just a little bit of the stuff makes me gag. Anyone who had it on, I just did not want to be around (and it was hard cause alot of guys where wearing it) Maybe someone should have told her her perfume was to strong. Not meaning you, but someone in her party.
    Fratsor Sister - Delta Mu Chi Alpha

ΔΜΧΑ

• loves a silver lining

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Experiment626
    Unfortunately, we can't please everyone. But would you have rather smelled her BO than that? I don't which one would be worse. But it's just as annoying as people with cell phones on when they KNOW they should be silent or off. They announce it everywhere; the movie theatre, schools, hospitals, anything quiet but people don't learn or don't care. I honestly think it's just ridiculous people are so inconsiderate and not think before they do things. The world would be a much better place if people actually thought things out.
    OT but I totally agree, There is a silent &/or vibrate button on cell phones for a reason. I don't know how many I heard go off during the DARE Graduation ceremony at my son's school last week!
    Back to topic!

Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ

• Circle of Ancients

. But would you have rather smelled her BO than that? I don't which one would be worse.
    LOL Honestly?

My kids and I once waited from 3 pm till midnight to see the opening night of the last Star Wars movie. We got inside, got great seats, and a man who reeked of BO and beer sat down next to my daughter who is the Star Wars geek in our family. She looked like she was going to cry so I switched seat with her. I would have preferred that guy to this lady last night! LOL

• Gay Man

I just think people need to be educated about the effect their perfume or cologn may have on others. I don't often have a reaction to perfume, but I did recently at a Dr. office. I started coughing violently, my eyes were watering and I could hardly speak. I had no water or cough drops with me. It was awful. The effects lasted a good hour. All because an older woman showed up at the Dr.s doused.

When you wear perfume, a person should have to be VERY close to you to smell it - think hugging, kissings, mauling, etc. If it can be smelled a foot away, you've got too much on.

When you wear yoo much perfume you may:
    • ruin someone'd dinner because they can no longer tast anything but your perfume
    • cause violent allergic reaction in those around you
    • make elevators unridable
    • and generally make you VERY unpopular.

Too much perfume is just as bad - or worse than bad BO. Just go with the BO. It's cheaper.

• The answer is 42

But would you have rather smelled her BO than that? I don't which one would be worse.
    It's a toss up. I was stuck next to Mr. Super Stinky at a concert at Radio City once and OY! It got so bad my party wound up playing musical chairs so that nobody had to suffer through the entire show next to this guy.

I've been in the general vicinity of an over spritzer at a show as well and both situations are awful. Didn't think to hit the box office and ask for other seats though. I'll have to remember that should it ever happen again.

Don't think they could ever really pass a law, but it sure would be nice if people would use some common sense.
    Duct tape is like The Force. It has a dark side & a light side and it binds the Universe together.

• Minion

Having attended hundreds of live performances I've only ever encountered a cloud of scent and that was in London where I had front row center seats for the musical "Billy" with Michael Crawfore (his musical debut).

Two little old ladies came in and took the seats next to us and immediately overpowered our section with a heavy, floral perfume. My partner thought it was Jungle Gardenia. Great seats so we endured it.

The worst cell phone experience was during a performance of a play starring Ian McKellan in LA. During a big dramatic moment someone's cell phone rang out to the right of us in the orchestra section. And a few minutes later it rang a second time.

I read that Brian Donlevy actually halted the play he was appearing in a few years ago on Broadway to allow the audience member time to take what "must be a very important call."

That theaters and concert halls have to remind people to turn off phones before a performance is ridiculous. Common courtesy people!

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse princess
    I am not sure she thought it was offensive. My guess is she probably didn't know and thought she smelled pretty.

Yep, it's hard to be angry at someone who's just clueless. And her family may be used to it so maybe that's why they didn't say anything. Hopefully, she knows better now that she haerd some of the comments people made.

I wear perfume. I like perfume. Two spritz and I am out the door and I feel good! Do some people take a bath in the stuff? Yes. But I don't think it is to offend you or anyone else.

I didn't take it personally, it just happened to affect me personally. In the long run, it was probably a good lesson for both me and my kids to know what to do if something like that happens again at the same theater.

When Cool Waters was a big hit with the guys, I HATE THAT SMELL. But I don't think anyone who wears it is doing anything on purpose. But just a little bit of the stuff makes me gag. Anyone who had it on, I just did not want to be around (and it was hard cause alot of guys where wearing it)

All the teenage boys I know use Axe deoderant. I call it the modern day "Brut." It smeels gross to me and I tell my son not to use too much . But my daughters have told me that the boys spray it around their classrooms all the time just to annoy the girls!

Maybe someone should have told her her perfume was to strong. Not meaning you, but someone in her party.
    Well unless she is hard of hearing she probably heard a lot of people saying her perfume was too strong. I even heard one guy say "It smells like she took a bath all day in it." Even though I was irritated , I felt kind of bad for her when I heard that. I still think it may have been a perm too because she had very tight curls in her hair and her hair was directly in front of my face since she was so tall. When the vent blew in the theater , it really stirred up the smell.

One other thing I gotta mention about perfume/cologne, not at the theater , but at my office is this. I work in a counseling office and we have a lot of clients who have autoimmune disorders who are really badly affected by the chemicals in perfume/cologne. We have one client who wore heavy perfume even though every one of us who work there asked her nicely if she could refrain from wearing it to her appointment days and even gave her reminder calls the day before....we weren't asking her not to wear it at all, but just to wait until after her 20 minute appointment to put it on... she refused and was very nasty about our polite requests so our boss told her she could no longer come to our counseling center as a client! She came back later not wearing it , apologized , and said she had been wearing it because she was a smoker and didn't want anyone to know so she was trying to hide the smell. Another lady once told me she wore a lot of perfume because she was trying to cover up the smell of her Depends and incontinence problem. I understand these things....I really do...I just wish they didn't affect other people and I wish the people who are close to them could give them some help with picking out less offensive scents..

• GO DBACKS!!

Time to begin carrying a can of Lysol or Oust in your purse.

It wasn't me, it was Lisa!

I've had this problem in a theater - nothing worse than being literally stuck there trying to breathe. I have really bad allergies and some perfumes really set me off. I have the same problems in church - and it's usually someone who comes in and sits down right as the service starts making it difficult for you to get up and move. I've had to step out more than once and sit outside as I literally couldn't breathe.

I've read where some churches have non-perfume sections. Elderly ladies seem to especially have a problem with putting too much on.
    Last edited by Schlumpf; 02-02-2006 at 11:13 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast