• Circle of Ancients

For moms with daughters....

What are some of your favorite activities to do with your daughters?

I was at a mother -daughter retreat this past weekend with my daughters and we had so much fun doing all the different activities. They were:

1. Shopping with them beforehand to get matching hats and shirts to wear for the look alike contest.

2. Eating food that we didn't have to cook and not having to wash any dishes

3. Singing

4. Going to seminars on various topics like "Running Life's Race," "Finding your inner beauty," and "Scrapbooking a faith journal"

5. Playing games like Yahtzee and Pictionary

6. Playing a game they made up where we picked a topic like cheeses , said what cheese was our favorite , then drew a picture of what we would look like if we were that cheese. (We played that game late at night in our cabin and it had us in hysterics when we looked at each other's drawings! )

7. Dancing (We learned Irsish dancing this time)

8. Crafts....we made picture frames that were collages of all different pictures we found in magazines...it was very relaxing!

9. Playing basketball

10. Visiting with other moms and their daughters

11. Testing our courage by singing a song in a talent show

12. Drawing on cups with sharpie pens all the things we love to do then sharing that with each other and also sharing what we love best about each other

13. More singing and a closing prayer.

One of our favorite things is doing ropes courses and climbing walls. This weekend we did a new one called "The Flying Squirrel." There is a VERY long rope that goes through a ring that's about 100 feet up in the air between two trees. One person gets hooked onto one end of the rope with a helmet, shoulder harness and waist belt. Then 6 people get hooked onto the other end of the rope with waist belts. When the one person yells "Bananas," the other 6 people start jogging upp a trail and this pulls the one person straight up to the ring between the trees where they can swing back and forth for a few minutes. It is not scary at all and is an absolute blast!!!

What are some of your favorite things to do with your daughters?

If you don't have daughters, what about with your sons?

• most magical vaca ever

Re: For moms with daughters....

OMG PB that sounds like a total blast! I would probably be too chicken to try it but wow- what fun!!!

As for me and my daughter.... we both love art so we tend to spend a lot of time painting, drawing, coloring, molding, cutting, sewing, etc...

We love going on nature walks- she totally loves bugs (except bees)

Our favorite time of the day is story time- she has become such an excellent reader and now reads most of the books to me instead now.

I also have a son that I love to watch baseball with... we are BIG time baseball junkies.

He also loves art and will spend time drawing with me.

We spend a lot of time playing board games, he would pass up a night of tv to play board games

Boys are a LOT different from Girls but I am so happy to be blessed with one of each. I never saw myself having a son (growing up I only had my mom and sis) I was always use to doing "girl" things. I always thought if I had a son I would never know what to do with him he has showed me how wonderful a mother/son bond is
    ~~~~~~

• horsin' around!

Quote Originally Posted by Princess Buttercup
    What are some of your favorite activities to do with your daughters?

I was at a mother -daughter retreat this past weekend with my daughters and we had so much fun doing all the different activities. They were:

1. Shopping with them beforehand to get matching hats and shirts to wear for the look alike contest.

2. Eating food that we didn't have to cook and not having to wash any dishes

3. Singing

4. Going to seminars on various topics like "Running Life's Race," "Finding your inner beauty," and "Scrapbooking a faith journal"

5. Playing games like Yahtzee and Pictionary

6. Playing a game they made up where we picked a topic like cheeses , said what cheese was our favorite , then drew a picture of what we would look like if we were that cheese. (We played that game late at night in our cabin and it had us in hysterics when we looked at each other's drawings! )

7. Dancing (We learned Irsish dancing this time)

8. Crafts....we made picture frames that were collages of all different pictures we found in magazines...it was very relaxing!

9. Playing basketball

10. Visiting with other moms and their daughters

11. Testing our courage by singing a song in a talent show

12. Drawing on cups with sharpie pens all the things we love to do then sharing that with each other and also sharing what we love best about each other

13. More singing and a closing prayer.

One of our favorite things is doing ropes courses and climbing walls. This weekend we did a new one called "The Flying Squirrel." There is a VERY long rope that goes through a ring that's about 100 feet up in the air between two trees. One person gets hooked onto one end of the rope with a helmet, shoulder harness and waist belt. Then 6 people get hooked onto the other end of the rope with waist belts. When the one person yells "Bananas," the other 6 people start jogging upp a trail and this pulls the one person straight up to the ring between the trees where they can swing back and forth for a few minutes. It is not scary at all and is an absolute blast!!!

What are some of your favorite things to do with your daughters?

If you don't have daughters, what about with your sons?

where was this??? and when's the next one???

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by pixywingz
    where was this??? and when's the next one???
    It was at Mission Springs in Scotts Valley and it's held every year ...your daughter has to be at least 6 to attend and the moms can be any age. There are even grandmas who attend too!

• Man O Lantern

My ten year old....

We read the same books and discuss them. We to read, so we have that in common, which is really helpful and bonding.

She recently read Pride and Prejudice after watching the six-part P&P movie with me in the fall. So then I read it and we went to see the new version yesterday...and we were able to talk about it for HOURS. We were so incredibly disappointed....we're watching Bride & Prejudice together this week!

Shopping is huge with us. Every few weeks we take off together and "shop." She looooves antique stores for some odd reason, so we do that. I love mid-century modern art glass...and weird decanter sets, so she's always finding them for me. It's cute! She also loves consignment stores...we have some really nice ones...she loves trying on odd things for me!!

Tully's. I love their coffee, she loves their ice cream. So when we can sneak away together, we head to Tully's.

Gilmore Girls....people have always told her she looks like Alexis Bleidel, so when she found out that Alexis was on the Gilmore Girls, she begged to watch it. I rented the second season, then bought all the rest, and we spent all of Winter Break cuddled up on the couch next to each other watching GG....hundreds of hours together, laughing and crying together.

We've also gone to a few author readings together. Neil Gaiman, Lois Lowry, and a few others. We're going to see Sarah Vowell tomorrow night! After she watched the Vowellet thing on The Incredibles DVD set last year, she's dreamed of meeting Sarah Vowell!!

Her other favorite thing....bridge walking. We've walked over most of the bridges in Portland. She gets a total rush from it!! There are some with major walkways and bike paths....those are great. But then there are those with 1/2 a sidewalk...those are not so great...for me. She loves it! I don't know why!!!

Playing games is hard for us....we're very evenly matched in almost any game, so it would be SO FUN...you'd think. But she's a sore winner and a sore loser, so it's never actually fun!! But still we try. We enjoy Kuuduk, checkers, Sorry, and a few of the Cadoo games....it's just the ending that sucks!

And given the choice of anywhere for the two of us to go together...it's a bookstore. We spend hours at Powell's, Title Wave, Annie Blooms.

With my seven year old, it's a little different!

She's a tomboy with a heart of gold. We again read some of the same books, Narnia, Harry Potter, Series of Unfortunate Events and talk about them. I also took her to Narnia, Goblet of Fire and SoUE 1:1 as rewards for her reading the books before the movie.

She loves Starbucks. She likes to bring a book and hang out there with me. She prefers that to almost anything else. I love it!

She loves Red Robin. That's her place.

She also loves pancakes, so when we can, she and I hunt down ginormous pancakes all over town! We've gone to some real dives for delicious pancakes at all times of the day!! It's hilarious! We did that last weekend...total dive, but we'd go there again for breakfast, for sure!

She's also really into science, so I take her to OMSI more than the other two. She can hang out in the science store for hours....hilarious.

She's the middle child and thrives when we get her away from her sisters. She can let them run over her at home, so we try to get some time with her often. Even if it's a solo trip to the library or Noah's, we try to do it all the time. She goes on a lot of errands with us, which she loves.

Her favorite thing to do is "sneak out" with us. Everyone knows she's leaving the house with us...but she goes through this elaborate lying thing..."Oh, I'm just going to walk mom out to her car" or "Oh, I'm going to go out and check the mail." I have NO clue why she started this...but it's funny, so we let her continue the charade. She so believes that she's tricking everyone. Then she plots how she's going to explain her absence when we get back...it's just Cassidy.

My five year old...

My five year old and I love the zoo. We love the bats for some stinky reason. It's the creepiest smelliest thing...but we love it!

She also loves Starbucks. She's gone with me almost everyday since she was 3. It was the first icon that she recognized and would yell out. On her fourth birthday, we told her she could go anywhere she wanted...and she chose Starbucks!

She's also really into Trader Joe's. I loooove taking her there!! She's an excellent shopper and has really good taste!

She and I have been going to the mall a lot lately. Something I never thought I'd do...I'm not very mall-y. But she loves Sephora, Build-a-Bear, the Disney Store, and the Nordstrom shoe department. She freaking LOVES shoe shopping! It's the funniest thing. And she has extremely spendy taste. Plus that particular mall has a Starbucks around every corner. When given a choice between OMSI and the mall, she now chooses the mall all the time. She's going to be a total mallrat when she gets older. We get there, and she yells, "Let's go try on SHOES!!"

• horsin' around!

remind me next year & emma and I will go along!!!

• Circle of Ancients

DMof2 and Stinkerbell....fun posts to read!!!

Pixywingz...I'll make sure you get a brochure for next year!

• I'm your huckleberry.

What fun Buttercup!!!!

Some of the things my (almost) 10yo daughter and I do together:

Play day spa at home: We bust out the face masks, cucumber slices for eyes, cuticle cream, etc. We especially do this if we're going somewhere special the next day.

Nails: My kidlet is trying really hard to stop biting her nails, so to reward her when she doesn't bite them, I decorate her nails for her. Right now she has lavendar paint with little rhinestone daisies on them.

Starbucks: She LOVES coffee, so we try and do a breakfast at Starbucks once a month or so.

Board games: We're board game fanatics (although she can whoop my butt at Scrabble).

Cooking: She plays sous chef for me, dumping ingredients into the bowl. We talk about why each ingredient is important, i.e. the chemical reaction in baking soda and why it makes cookies puff up. Science AND food!!!

Lots of silly stuff too, like putting food dye in scrambled eggs.

Quote Originally Posted by Senator David Wu (D-OR)
    Don't let faux-klingons send real Americans to war!

Quote Originally Posted by TheHousingBubbleBlog
    Everyone says that the U.S. doesn’t make anything anymore, but that’s not exactly true. We’re the world leader in the manufacturing of bull****.

• Life is Great!

im jealous, all me and my daughter do together is me making funny faces and her laughing, of course she is only 5 months old! i cant wait to do all these things with her when she gets older!! sounds like fun. i do like going to the park with my son but hes only 2 so we can only do so much too. of course the best thing to do with both of them is disneyland, heheheeee. im soo mad, my emailed pic from buzz from saturday didnt arrive and it had my baby girl in it, she was on my lap and you could just see her eyes peeking out from the top and i made it look like she was shooting with my other hand. im going to have to send them to hubbys email from now on, none of mine arrived.
    {:

• Man O Lantern

OMG, make-up has been huge around here lately!!! We all take turns doing each other's make up from this big kit we bought at Ulta. It was $20 and has given us HOURS of fun. If you are the one getting your make up done, you have NO say in what colors are put on you. It's hilarious!! We've even done up my husband a few times.

There's a book called eat.shop.portland and my oldest and I are determined to go to each store/restaurant at some point. Of course, the book is updated each year....so the list is longer, but it's a little goal of ours!! That book is the most thumbed-through book we own.

OH! Another cool bonding thing we've done has to do with Beverly Cleary. She grew up in Portland, and we like to visit her neighborhood!! It's really cute, we looked at moving there when we looked at houses in Portland. We go to the library she used to (which has now moved), play on the playground of her elementary school. Walk down Klickitat Street. The girls ask to do it every few months, so either my husband or I do it.

• I'm your huckleberry.

Quote Originally Posted by stinkerbell
    OH! Another cool bonding thing we've done has to do with Beverly Cleary. She grew up in Portland, and we like to visit her neighborhood!! It's really cute, we looked at moving there when we looked at houses in Portland. We go to the library she used to (which has now moved), play on the playground of her elementary school. Walk down Klickitat Street. The girls ask to do it every few months, so either my husband or I do it.
    OMG, that is the coolest thing!!!! I didn't know Klickitat was a real street!

Quote Originally Posted by Senator David Wu (D-OR)
    Don't let faux-klingons send real Americans to war!

Quote Originally Posted by TheHousingBubbleBlog
    Everyone says that the U.S. doesn’t make anything anymore, but that’s not exactly true. We’re the world leader in the manufacturing of bull****.

• horsin' around!

BUBBBBBLY BATHS! em still loves to bubble bath with me... i do too...until she says things like "mom...remember, when you get in with me we don't need as much water"
    we love to have a 'movie day' when the guys are gone...no matter what time of day..we close everything up...get on jammies, slippers, cozy blankets, popcorn & movies! yay! & we each get to pick.

hanging out at any of the 'pet stores' and Borders is always a hit with her...we can spend absolutely HOURS in there!

we also do a 'share picture' blank paper, & one of us begins a picture...then we hand it off & the other person adds to it...& so on. These have become so precious to me!

and our favorite...cooking & baking..together and for each other.
    she looves the Taste of Home magazine ( and our annual cooking school event!), she will pick out recipes & we'll go shopping for the ingredients & off she goes! she's going to make someone verrry happy in the kitchen some day!

and one of my favorites...she's the 'happy face bandit' i'll NEVER know where a happy face is going to show up... the butter, my eyeshadow...bathroom mirror when i'm in the shower.. i can never ever see a happy face & not think of my em.

• twinkletwinkle I'm a star

We have always had "Mommy and ____ days". It started when I got married and the two girls felt a little left out. I would take turns taking one daughter to the movies and out to lunch at a 'sit down with menus' type restaurant. We've all had great memories of those outings. Last week my 20 year old daughter called me at work and asked me if I could get away on Saturday. She needed a Mommy and Shelli day! Yep, I even paid for the babysitter for my grandson! We had a great day!

• Man O Lantern

Quote Originally Posted by anniem8
    We have always had "Mommy and ____ days". It started when I got married and the two girls felt a little left out. I would take turns taking one daughter to the movies and out to lunch at a 'sit down with menus' type restaurant. We've all had great memories of those outings. Last week my 20 year old daughter called me at work and asked me if I could get away on Saturday. She needed a Mommy and Shelli day! Yep, I even paid for the babysitter for my grandson! We had a great day!
    That's what I do now with my daughters! I love the thought of those continuing forever!! And I'm sad that I never had those kinds of days with my mom! Your daughter is really lucky!

• Circle of Ancients

I love hearing how many of you are into reading books and going to bookstores with your daughters. Our whole family loves to read and we have hundreds of books. I can't bear to part with any of them. I have a hard time getting rid of magazines too! I keep joking with my twins that when they go to college next year I'm going to turn their room into a library because right now a lot of the books we own are in boxes under the stairs and I'd love to have that space to store other things. Plus, my 10 year old is probably ready to start reading some of the hand me downs! She is currently reading "From the Mixed Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler"...that's one of my all tiem favorite books!