Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

• Man O Lantern

Strange Request From a Co-hostess...your thoughts?

Yesterday I got the weirdest voicemail. I need some help here!

Here's the situation: I'm co-hosting my best friend's baby shower in three weeks with another of her friends that I don't really know. I mean, I've met her 3-4 times when we're doing couples things, but I have never actually spent time with her with our mutual friend...unless the husbands are involved...parties, dinners...that kind of thing. I don't know her, and my friend never really talks about her to me, so I don't even know a lot about her. She has a one year old. Until three months ago, I didn't even know she had a baby!

So...the shower is at her house. I made all the invites (50) and got them to her...she wanted to mail them. Fine. No problem. It took her a week. She was putting directions to her house in them (I even gave her coordinating paper to do it!), but she ran out of ink, her husband has pneumonia, so she never made it out to buy another printer cartridge, so she decided to sent the rest out with no directions....and it took her a week to do that!

Okay...fine. No problem, we all have weeks like that, no biggie. We're menu-planning. I'm in charge of most of the food and drinks. All righty, whatever, it's at her house, so I'm fine helping out as much as I can financially, and I love my friend, so I'll do anything.

Then yesterday I get this voicemail. Her husband still has pneumonia, she's wondering if I'll come over the week before the shower and play with her baby while she cleans the house. The week BEFORE the shower. Not like the day before, the day of, but the week BEFORE. Won't the house get messy during the week?

Now...I don't know this person. I have never seen her child. Sure, we're doing the party at her house, at her request, and so I'll do things to make it easier on her...but NO. I won't go play with her kid!

And she's not poor. She drives a Lexus SUV, and I happen to know her house is GINORMOUS and when they had it on the market they had it listed at $975,000! Her husband's an attorney. She can hire a babysitter for a few hours the day before the shower if she's really worried about how clean it is.

I left her a really long voicemail explaining all that is going on in my life...which she already knows. The week of the shower is the week we're putting together the auction catalog. I'll be taking $60,000 worth of items from database form into catalog form. The fact that the shower is the very weekend I'm working 48 hours straight on it isn't the happiest thing in the world as it is!! Plus, that's the weekend our old renters are moving out and we're having carpet put into the other house....and we're paying two mortgages this month. It's a stressful month!!

I've had pneumonia, I know it's not fun. But I also have three kids and cope just fine without help ALL THE TIME. She doesn't have pneumonia...he does.

If she doesn't want the shower at her house....she should have said something before the invites went out.....it was her idea anyway. The friend we're doing the shower for is the events coordinator at a downtown hotel on the waterfront. We've had parties and showers there before...I was figuring we'd do it again, but this other girl wanted the shower at her house...so there it is.

I'm soooo not going to her house to watch her baby. Am I wrong?

The thing is...I'd totally do it, any other month. Awkward request be damned, I'd still do it...because that's how I am. But this month, OY! Not gonna happen. I have three kids I already don't see much!

• horsin' around!

Re: Strange Request From a Co-hostess...your thoughts?

wow...talk about taking something above and beyond!
    i think she was totally out of line...although giving the benefit of the doubt maybe she didn't mean to intentionally. BUY..you are under absolutely NO obligation to do that! i'm sure she has other recourses of help!

• loves a silver lining

Blog Entries

NO way would I watch her kid. That's above and beyond the call of duty.

Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ

• <3

Lost Bar - It's where we come together in true DMCA style.
    Blog Entries

That is very, very weird. I mean, I would never think to ask someone to come over and play with my baby while I clean my house?! My friends offer all the time to come over before and help me clean, but I never take them up on that, even. It would even be way less weird if she just asked you to watch the baby for a day or two.

I think your response was great, you don't have the time and it wasn't a comfortable situation. If she's put off by it, so be it, she did volunteer.

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth."
    — Mark Twain

• Man O Lantern

Good, I'm starting to feel better about it....

If she didn't know what I was up against this month...I wouldn't think anything of it. But she does, so I thought it was really weird! And she has the resources to get other help. And we could have done it somewhere else...

But I also thought, what if I'm so stressed that I can't see past that?? And then...I told my husband and he was DYING. He's like, "That's so WEIRD. It's really WEIRD. Would you ever ask someone to do that?" And we started cracking up...cause there's no way.

Especially weeks in advance...she's planning way ahead of time for me to come and help her out in a pinch, basically. If it was the day before and it was an emergency, I could see making the request...but even so, I'm a planner...I'd tackle a little bit at a time. I mean, how bad can the house be??

• Rally Vixen

Blog Entries

I would have to say you are in the right for thinking it is a weird request. The only person I have ever asked for help with my house is my mom, and I feel weird about that.

This could make a really good short story...
    Anything listed on the park maps as an attraction is fair game for inclusion in the Rally.
    I cannot confirm nor deny the inclusion of any attraction in the Rally.

May the Gumballs Be with You...Always.

NO GOATS!

• Man O Lantern

mamabot, I kinda want to do it, just so I can have the experience....and then write about it someday!!

Or do something inappropriate and be all Larry David-ish about it.

• loves a silver lining

Blog Entries

Hey Claire, I know you're busy but could you fly down and wash my baseboards, they're looking kinda bad and I have a cough and can't do it

Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ

• For old time sake

ok, good since you will be a few hours away at Tina's can you come and scoop my litter boxes? I have a bruise on my arm.
    Katie
    Founding member of the BA I LOVE us!!!
    FIGHT ON!!!!!!

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Is HOME.

Okay- that is the weirdest thing I have ever heard. You are totally right. It was her choice ot have it at her house- havng a clean house is part of the job. If her husband is sick and she needs help and she has money- hire a friggin housecleaner for one day. That isn't expensive, that is what my friend did for our friend's baby shower. It was like 60 bucks to have someone come clean her house for a couple hours. Sounds like she can afford that!

That is just. weird. You are so in the right Stink.

Weird.
    “In a world filled with hate, we must still dare to hope. In a world filled with anger, we must still dare to comfort. In a world filled with despair, we must still dare to dream. And in a world filled with distrust, we must still dare to believe.” -Michael Jackson

• Winter in Oceanside...

Sounds like she has enough money to hire someone to come clean her house and she can then watch her own kid!

• Hello there

Blog Entries

Very weird - she doesn't know you, really. No offense, but if I don't know a person I wouldn't want them watching my child, even if I was home and in another room. Hell, I went on vacation and my sisters friend who I have met a handful of times offered to watch my dog, and I couldn't even do that.
    And- clean the house a week before- No Way! Again- I have no kids and I need to clean every couple of days- how is hse going to maintain the house a whole week. Bull crap! She was just loking for some free babysitting
    Fratsor Sister - Delta Mu Chi Alpha

ΔΜΧΑ

• most magical vaca ever

Interesting.... very interesting.....

I'm still trying to figure out WHY she would ask for a WEEK before too?

Glad you put your foot down- most people I know just say "yes" to everything and then complain about it for weeks.

Does this woman NOT know anyone else that could watch her kid??? To ask you, someone she's only met on a few ocassions is very odd....
    ~~~~~~

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Is HOME.

Quote Originally Posted by DMof2
    Glad you put your foot down- most people I know just say "yes" to everything and then complain about it for weeks.
    That is SO me. I would have said yes just because I am a pansy. You rock for saying No!
    “In a world filled with hate, we must still dare to hope. In a world filled with anger, we must still dare to comfort. In a world filled with despair, we must still dare to dream. And in a world filled with distrust, we must still dare to believe.” -Michael Jackson

• Guardian Construct

some times people do the strangest things. i once meet a lady becuse she wanted to get more info on my hobbie. we are in the SCA when i am not at disney. we talked over coffie for about 1 hr and i gave her my number incase she needed more info. about 7 months later she calles me to ask me to babysit her kids for the night. its kinda close to your situation becuse i only meet this lady the one time. it freaked me out that she would ask someone she did not know to watch her kid........ turns out CPS took the kids a week later when she left them with someone and did not come back for them.
    let us know how the shower goes! good luck and dont do anything your not comfortable with. and it was wrong of her to ask you so dont feel bad you did not go and help her!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast