Ok...I've been going back and forth whether or not I want to change my last name when I marry. The feminist in me cries, "why should <I> take <his> name?". I am not going to hyphenate, that's not an option. I don't want to hurt his feelings, but as of right now, he seems ok either way.
Currently, why I don’t want to take his name:
- My 'ethnic' last name is currently one of the few things that ties me to my heritage and family origins. That means a lot to me.
- It fits well with my first name. His doesn't. I would be going from a 4 syllable to a 1 syllable! That’ll be quite a change.
- My initials will then be E.T. I'm going to be E.T.
- Bad thing if I don't is, the kids get his, while I keep my own.
- That name is his mom's name. I don't want that same title of Mrs...
- I just plain like it...it's ME!
Part of me wants to. I know it would mean a lot to him…and me for that matter. Am I just being vain and selfish about the whole thing? What to do....what to do...?