Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• Lost Princess and Bat 861

Re: Does anyone have any ideas of some extra special things to do at a Memorial Service?

Quote Originally Posted by Tinkerbelle
    I didn't know about the Doves not being OK after :hangs head in shame:
    Oh, don't feel bad if you didn't know. Just help spread the word in the future.
    A bit of evil lurks in your heart, but you hide it well.
    In some ways, you are the most dangerous kind of evil.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • State sponsored cyclist

Re: Does anyone have any ideas of some extra special things to do at a Memorial Service?

Have you considered planting a tree? We did that for a man who discovered he had leukemia from blood bank tests after he donated blood to the church's blood group. He had also served on one of the church's boards.
    Have bicycle, will ride. Finished 2012 with 10,089 miles, 683 hours, and 482,000 feet of elevation gain.
    2013: 201 rides, 8171 miles, 544 hours, 480K feet.
    2014 so far: 5751 miles, 319,000 feet

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Get drunk and tell funny stories about the person. At least that what my family has done. I'll never forget after my grandfather died back in 1984... grandma got hella drunk after the funeral and told everyone what she got them for Christmas. LMAO!

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by aimster
    Get drunk and tell funny stories about the person. At least that what my family has done. I'll never forget after my grandfather died back in 1984... grandma got hella drunk after the funeral and told everyone what she got them for Christmas. LMAO!
    Now that sounds like something that would happen at one of my family member's funerals!

But if that were to happen at this memorial service, I don't think my friend's wife and children would appreciate it at all!

I went out and got a whole bunch of daffodils and tulips today.....I'm going to put them in a huge vase and have a written note telling everyone to take one in remembrance of John after the reception.

I am also rounding up pictures of John with all the pre-school kids he took on tractor rides and tours of his farm...they all called him Farmer John. I got a darling little plant display that looks like a garden to put in front of the pictures.

I also got a really nice arrangement of different colored daffodils and different colored tulips to put on the food tables and a lot of candle votives. I think it's going to look very pretty.

Thanks for all the suggestions and thanks for sharing your stories!!

• love my friends

i think you are doing a great job without our help

what you are going to do sounds great

can you plan my funeral

Friends for life

• Lost Princess and Bat 861

Princess Buttercup, let us know how it went and what worked and what didn't? I sounds like it was going to be beautiful.
    A bit of evil lurks in your heart, but you hide it well.
    In some ways, you are the most dangerous kind of evil.

• Circle of Ancients

Thanks for asking . It went really really well. The DIL had done a lot of really nice things to make it special. Between the 90 daffodils and tulips I bought and all the bouquets that were sent, there were tons of flowers everywhere. He was a really patriotic guy, so we covered one of the tables with a red , white and blue tablecloth and put a beautiful picture display on it. There was a guest book to sign and the programs we handed out were beautiful...they had color pictures of him taken at various times in his life, and the back had a picture of his gorgeous garden. For the service , his favorite hymns were sung, his son gave a eulogy and several people got up and told funny stories about him. As I sat there it really hit me that I never once saw a frown on this man's face...he was always smiling and joking and made everyone feel very special and loved. The hardest thing for everyone was believing he was really gone because his presence was just so strongly there! After the service, we had refreshments in our fellowship hall...20 people brought goodies so we had plenty. The total time everything took was 5 hours from set up to clean up , but I know his family really appreciated everything! Whew! I'm just glad I don't have to do these too often!

• GO DBACKS!!

You are such a blessing to your church family, PB. I am so glad the celebration of his life went so well.

It wasn't me, it was Lisa!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12