Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Circle of Ancients

Does anyone have any ideas of some extra special things to do at a Memorial Service?

Hi Folks,

This past Sunday , a man at our church who was well-loved by everyone who knew him passedaway. I am the congregational care person so I am in charge of the Memorial Service this Friday.

In the past I have served entire meals at some of the services, but this one is at 1 pm so I will probably just serve coffee, punch, and sweets. I'm wondering what else I could do to make it special. I'm thinking of maybe having some big balloon bouquets and letting everyone release the ballooons at the end ebacuse he was such a happy and fun loving guy, but I'm not sure if that would be appropriate.

Does any one have any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks!

PS His wife is a very youthful 60 year old and she loves traditional hymns and organ music.
    Last edited by Princess Buttercup; 03-14-2006 at 08:18 AM.

• insufferable know-it-all

Re: Does anyone have any ideas of some extra special things to do at a Memorial Service?

Umm... wouldn't do a balloon release only because dead balloons eventually fall back to the earth and pose a problem for some animals.

Now, a dove release on the other hand, would be GORGEOUS. Look in wedding planning magazines for a place that handles them.

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• My cuties!

Re: Does anyone have any ideas of some extra special things to do at a Memorial Service?

We've done the balloon release before; it is really nice.

• MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Always watching...

There also butterfly releases.

• Circle of Ancients

The doves and butterflies sound neat. I asked the son who's making most of the arrangements what he thought of balloons and he said "I don't think so." But he told me that his dad loved tulips and daffodils. I'm so glad they are in season right now!!

• MiceChat Moderator
    • It's SisterP Time!

Blog Entries

We did a butterfly release at my BIL's funeral and it was beautiful and very touching.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

I also vote for the doves or butterflies over the balloons. Doves, especially, add a very nice touch.

My best wishes and prayers to you, PB, and all concerned.

Barry
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Waiting for the stork

The Doves would be very beautiful and symbolic....I think it would be touching...

and since he likes the flowers, perhaps each participant could have a flower upon entering, and at the conclusion of the service, (perhaps right after or directly before the Dove release,) everyone could place their flower in a vase (since it's a memorial I'm assuming no casket, but if there is one that would also be apropriate)

a beautiful, symbolic and touching farewell to someone it seems many loved dearly.

My prayers are with his friends and family...
    procrastibating

• Lost Princess and Bat 861

Pictures, pictures, pictures. At my stepmom's memorial service we had pitures from all stages of her life scattered all over the room. It was a real conversation starter because people could see her in a context they hadn't hadn't seen her in before. We also had some blank books scattered around that people could write down their favorite memories of Marie.
    A bit of evil lurks in your heart, but you hide it well.
    In some ways, you are the most dangerous kind of evil.

• The Unknown Princess

I think I prefer the butterfly release. The dove releases always make me afraid of little "tokens" being dropped on the bystanders.

To me both would be symbolic. The dove being the symbol of peace and also the messenger of God's promise of New Land after the flood. The butterfly is a analogy of being reborn. They both show about New Life after something as nasty as a flood and as not-so-pretty catepillar.

The only thing that would stop me from getting the butterfly release (which has an altogether different meaning to me) is the availablility.
    Always keep smiling because you never know who is falling in love with it.
    --------------------------------------------------------
    Part of the Disney Ohana

--------------------------------------------------------

• Banned User

Dove releases are fairly common in the United States, but there aren't many laws concerning the abandonment of domestic birds. In most jurisdictions, anyone can walk into a pet store, buy some white ring-neck doves (for about $25 each), and release them at a wedding or a funeral. white doves fare very badly in the wild. After centuries of domestic breeding, the white ring-neck dove is ill-equipped for urban survival. Bird rescue workers say that a ring-neck dove released in a city will likely starve—if it doesn't get hit by a car or eaten by another bird first.

I say put pictures of him in various stages of life in the room, serve refreshments

Picture collages are great. You can add things that he liked that are non-pictures also. We did one not too long ago and had personal items pictures even tickets and sports memorabilia. It was good to talk about it for some and for others it was maybe something they did not know about the person.

• loves a silver lining

Blog Entries

I love TInkerbelle's idea of handing everyone a flower at the beginning of the memorial. I think that's a wonderful idea. I'm so sorry for you loss

Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ

• Lost Princess and Bat 861

I have to follow the "don't do doves" group. Most are not able to care for themselves in the wild.

If you are really set on a bird release, try to find some one who works with carrier pidgeons. Not quite as pretty but much more humane. There is a man here who does weddings and such.
    A bit of evil lurks in your heart, but you hide it well.
    In some ways, you are the most dangerous kind of evil.

• Waiting for the stork

I didn't know about the Doves not being OK after :hangs head in shame:
    procrastibating

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast