Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Minion

Kids and four-letter words

Maybe this would have been better titled the downfall of our language...

I'm just amazed by the use of four-letter words by kids. The other day while on the school grounds I heard a little girl, about 10, use the P-word (maybe it isn't a true cuss word, but I don't think little kids should use it) in her conversation. The other little girl wasn't shocked by her using it.

Tatum O'Neil got a big laugh and shocked the movie audience 30+ years ago with her use of the s-word in Paper Moon. Since then having children use such language for comedy has become the norm.

Television had standards back in the day and "bleeped" out such words, now I think they add them in.

When men cussed they did so amoungst themselves, never in front of a lady, and if they accidently said an off-color word, they excused themselves and apologized. I think now women use language that is a lot stronger then the men.... maybe we aren't "ladies" anymore?

When I was growing up my mother told my brother (because it was a "boy issue" at our house) that if he needed to say such words, he could say them all he wanted out in the field. It was considered "field talk."

Could it be because of a lack of fields that we hear these words more and more?

I taught my kids what the words meant literally and that they can use the words, IF they used them in context. That kind of took the "shock" or "fun" out of it I guess. I also told them that they had the whole English language to use and to not be lazy in their choice of words, they were more intelligent than that.

Oh, I don't know, I was just musing about this as I washed the dishes, and was feeling sad that kids are using such words in a common and unashamed way. I do wonder if they talk like that at home or just when with friends, the trying to be "cool" thing. Oh well, it really is too bad...

MeiMei, and yes, I've been known to say a few choice "field" words myself...while not in the field even!! LOL
    Boo!

• And they call me Mad!

Blog Entries

Re: Kids and four-letter words

**** this ****
    What an idiot....

Yeah, I do that Twitter thing.

• no flash photography...

My daughter cusses around me, but she always gets the "watch your language"...or if she's on the phone, "if you can't speak with your friends without cursing you can hang up..."....one of her friends heard me and said "your mom cusses too." yes, that is true. I ahve been known to curse, but I would never say what he said to an adult.....so now we aren't pickign him up becauee he is disrecptful. Oh, my daughter had the phone on speaker. That why i heard him, but everyone in the background was cussing up a storm and this was on easter. They were having a family easter gathering.....

but cussing is the norm now, kids here it on every TV station, the radio, almost every movie, the songs they listen to....they probably think it's ok or "cool" to do.

When I was a teen I cussed like a truck driver or sailor...whatever the term is, but NEVER in front of adults. I also grew out of it....now I only cuss if I'm really mad or while drving, because there are some real pieces of work out driving cars.

• Banned User

When I went to B's transition meeting on Thursday they were talking about 2 girls who were walking down the street and they were shocked that the girls turned around after the ladies had said hello and were told to f....off. How sad to see.

• Incognito

Blog Entries

I admit, I swear, A LOT! Do I agree with it? Not really. I try to watch my mouth, I really do. Especially around kids of course, and in public. But around my friends they just "come out".

Who do we blame? My parents swore often around the house. They used damn and $hit and crap fairly regularly, never really any other word. Maybe thats where I get it from.

The media? Sure its a medium of spreading the use of "bad words". I remember in a Knots Landing back in the 80's that they were one of the first shows to use the word "bitch" and it was a HUGE deal, even covered on the news. Michele Lee's character said "Sell it to the son of a bitch" (I remember it like it happened yesterday). Nowadays its used all the time. Not that the media glamorizes it but they made it so that characters we watch use them in every day context and use it in normal speech.

It'd be nice if society would somehow alter the use of these words. I know I dont much care to hear them out in public. And it especially bothers me to hear yound kids speak that way. I wasnt "allowed" to say words like that until I turned 18. At least around my parents that is. I knew that saying "bad words" was something parents and grown ups were allowed to do, not me as a kid.

• They wanna know, HO!

I'm just amazed by the use of four-letter words by kids. The other day while on the school grounds I heard a little girl, about 10, use the P-word (maybe it isn't a true cuss word, but I don't think little kids should use it) in her conversation. The other little girl wasn't shocked by her using it.
    Punk?
    Puke?

If you mean a part of the female body... that's five letters
    ...a vaguely celtic music fills the air...

• no flash photography...

Quote Originally Posted by testtrack321
    Punk?
    Puke?

If you mean a part of the female body... that's five letters
    maybe *****....never mind...still 5 letters...and it's on the male body.

wow...starred out...what if I pricked my finger with a pin.....?...ok that works, but I giess I can't ***** my finger...LOL

• Minion

Opps!

Well, in the general sense of the word it is a four letter word but in reality it is a six letter word ending with an -ed. Used by many as a word for being very mad...which I find amusing because it really only works if you are an ant running laps on a toilet seat and get, well, you know, ****ed off! (well, I found it funny...)
    Boo!

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

When I was young I wasn't alllowed to cuss. And even beyond and then I lived with my parents for awhile and never did. I was a good girl! But now that I'm "away" I curse.

But I try not to in front of kids or at Disneyland... some days it's harder than others! And I still respect my prents and don't swear around them. It's funny how easy it is to stop when you have good reason to. (evil ee!!)

I think it's horrible that kids swear and that many parents don't care. Society's gone down the toilet. And yeah TV and movies and music are part of it.
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• For You!

Someone once said that people people who swear don't have the brain power to come up with something a more intelligent answer. Anyway, I don't swear and don't like hearing it. My mom, who was raised on a cattle ranch - had quite a few field words. Until, my youngest son started to say what she did. One day he asked me what "dibbit" meant. So, that's our new swear word.

I discussed the Oh my God phrase once in kids movies, and people pretty much blew me off and said that it's just too common now. Sad state of affairs.

Will trade husband for Disneyland and DCA Pins!

• Nice Guy

Blog Entries

What does dibbit mean???
    >>Alan<<
    Member 216

• Merry 2014!

If you ride the bus where I live , children using cuss words is so common that bus drivers are becoming more tolerant of it. They often say them very very loud, like they want everyone to be mesmerized by their swearing abilities. Most of the time they don't heed the bus drivers admonitions to stop; that leads to more words and then ejection. but after one incident where an irate kid hunted down the bus driver who threw him off, drivers are much less likely to say anything about cussing now. Sad really.
    Sig by Poisonedapples!

• most magical vaca ever

My kids won't even repeat a cuss word even if we tell them it's ok ...

My daughter thinks that Shut Up is a bad word and always comes home from school and says "Mommy- can you believe that XXXX said the "S" word in school today"?

I say "OMG xxxx said "S**t" and she says no mom the one that means to be quiet

Trust me, they've heard them all come out of my mouth- dh is always telling me to stop cussing all the time but my kids (8 & 12) would never....

DD slipped one time and said "what the H***" instead of heck and she cried for about 20 minutes

SO NOT like their mom
    ~~~~~~

• UH..LIKE DUH..

I'm more afriad of those in power that can't say Nuclear.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • State sponsored cyclist

I don't swear. I've worked around kids for 34 years, and I don't want to take the chance of accidentally saying a cuss word in front of them. I'm not particularly offended by occasional swearing that I hear from other adults, but I don't have a high regard for people who can't control it and swear in public.

Kids who swear in my presence get "the look" and "I'm not quite sure I heard you clearly, but I doubt you'll want to repeat it." Some of the teachers have complained about kids swearing, but I rarely hear it. I have been known to quote kids word for word in written behavior reports I have sent home to parents. Maybe that's why.
    Have bicycle, will ride. Finished 2012 with 10,089 miles, 683 hours, and 482,000 feet of elevation gain.
    2013: 201 rides, 8171 miles, 544 hours, 480K feet.
    2014 so far: 6956 miles, 398,000 feet

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast